4TB Samsung SSDs Apparently Coming Soon

Associate
How is reliability these days?
It must be a concern if purchasing a large capacity SSD, as that would usually indicate it's for storage.

I've had an SSD fail me in the recent past and so has a friend, but I've never experienced an HDD problem in many years of use.

Isn't the case of the more drives, the more chance of failure?

Associate
How is reliability these days?
It must be a concern if purchasing a large capacity SSD, as that would usually indicate it's for storage.

I've had an SSD fail me in the recent past and so has a friend, but I've never experienced an HDD problem in many years of use.

On average better than traditional HDDs. If you're pushing the limits on write-heavy workloads then the picture varies more but for consumer levels of use I'd take an SSD.

Last edited:
Associate
To me, its like putting all your eggs in one giant basket! I would much prefer to have several smaller drives with data, files etc spread across them.

Imagine having a 4TB with all your stuff on and it fails!

Exactly, I have this data backed up on my unraid server and on the 4TB WD black this SSD replaced. Not to mention it is only game data so I can download it again need be.

Soldato
perhaps yes, but as 4K media becomes more popular those requirements will change

also stuff being above the needs of the normal user has never been a reason to stop advancing before. new machines sell with 32gb of ram but thats way more than the needs of a normal user, its back to the old more is better marketecture

My comment was regarding price

the main reason prices come down is because the general population starts buying it - 8tb mechanical drives are probably going to be superceded by SSD's before the general population has much need for them.

Back
Top Bottom