WD blue or red slave

Associate
Not sure about which drive to purchase, can the red WD work as a normal slave in a pc, are blue WD any good, i think they are replacing the green series of WD drives.
I want it reliable, act as a slave, i already have multiple HD's in the PC, any thoughts welcome.

Oh looking to purchase a 6TB WD drive.

Last edited:
Associate
Reds can function as a normal drive but are designed for raid or nas setups, you are paying for this and reliability. By the sound of it you already have large storage requirements so would say reds are what you are after.

Bare in mind though if you have no disk/data redundancy even reds can fail occasionally....

Soldato
What I find quite ironic, is that WD Black seem to have the longest warranty and yet they are designed to be ridiculously quick!

You would think that WD RED would be more likely to have a better warranty than the Blacks surely?

Just an observation, but yeah, WD Reds are just fine in use as a normal HD. I have a pair of 1TB Drives in on of my sons PCs that are setup as a Striped array and they have been running just peachy and nippy for well over a year without a glitch. I used these purely as a test setup. He records all his XBOX game play, and does lots of video editting work on them and they get fairly rough use every day, so they have stood the test.

Soldato
WD black have the longest warranty, but they carry a price premium compared to WD Red. I got my WD black on a black friday deal, i wouldnt have paid the extra over the red normally.

Back
Top Bottom