Using clear coolant

Soldato
I've build quite a few loops at this point but I've never used clear coolant. This time round I've bought coloured tubing as as the staining from the pre-mixed colours is just horrible.

But as I've never used clear coolant I'm not entirely sure what else I need to buy to go with to prevent biological build up etc. Any suggestions fellas?

Associate
It depends what you mean by clear coolant, if it's just distilled/de-ionised water then you will need a kill coil or biocide, if it's a clear premix then that usually includes the biocide in it already but if so the bottle will say so.

Man of Honour
All of these have all the inhibitors you need and there is no need to add kill coils or anything. The concentrates need to be mixed with distilled/de-ionised water. The Mayhems X1 in the 5L container is very good value for money. You need to be careful with your tubing selection though as some coolants are not to be used with certain tubing. Mayhems for example state that XT1 is a Ethylene based coolant, and is not compatible with PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Flexible Tubing. I imagine that this is the same for any Ethylene based coolant. X1 is safe with all tubing I believe as it's not Ethylene based.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Soldato
Yeah its just pure water, by the time you've messed around filling your loop and stuck your fingers in it a few times im sure it will start growing stuff if you dont put something in to prevent it.

Associate
I like clear coolant and clear tubing on mine, simple no gimmicks look.
I simply used XT-1 and Deionised water from Tesco, never ran into problems. This is with soft tubing though, the Primochill LRT stuff.

Dont know if XT-1 is compatible with hard tubing PETG though, would like to know too if any one knows.

Associate
I like clear coolant and clear tubing on mine, simple no gimmicks look.
I simply used XT-1 and Deionised water from Tesco, never ran into problems. This is with soft tubing though, the Primochill LRT stuff.

Dont know if XT-1 is compatible with hard tubing PETG though, would like to know too if any one knows.

Are you sure it was XT-1 not X1 ?

The reason for asking is the following which is take directly from Mayhems site

'XT1 is a Ethylene based coolant, and is not compatible with PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Flexible Tubing'

Associate
Are you sure it was XT-1 not X1 ?

The reason for asking is the following which is take directly from Mayhems site

'XT1 is a Ethylene based coolant, and is not compatible with PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Flexible Tubing'

Hmm lemme check

Edit: Yep i used XT-1, lol i didnt know. Now running watercooled loop now anyway.
But curios, what will happen to the tubing?
And also, X1 is safe to use with Primoflex LRT?

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm lemme check

Edit: Yep i used XT-1, lol i didnt know. Now running watercooled loop now anyway.
But curios, what will happen to the tubing?
And also, X1 is safe to use with Primoflex LRT?

X1 is fine with Primoflex LRT.

There are no details on Mayhems site of what problems you will experience with LRT and XT-1, just that they are not compatible. I suggest you contact Mayhems support via their website for their advice on what to do as you are already running that combination.

Soldato
Mayhems Ultra Pure and a silver kill coil. Nothing else required, and your fluid will stay crystal clear.

I had a try with XT-1 and it just created white chalky gunk when the PC had been off for a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom