Newbe help please. Fittings

Associate
Hi all,

I have to admit, i'm struggling.
I'm helping my son water cool his GPU and I am getting very confused with which fittings fit.

We have already got the GPU block for the 1080, a radiator and a pump. We have also got the pipe "Thermaltake VTubler PETG Tube 16 mm OD 500 mm" hard tube, but i'm stuck with the fittings. Dont want to spend too much as he has already had a lot !

Thanks muchly

Last edited:
Associate
I believe the inner diameter of your tubing is 12mm, in which case the fittings you linked would not fit.

Be careful what you link, by the way, as no competitor links are allowed. You might want to edit it out of your post, in fact.

Anyway, you need fittings that will accommodate tubing of an outer diameter of 16mm and inner diameter 12mm, I believe.

Last edited:
Soldato
you're using hard tube so you don't need to worry about inner diameter.

You want 16mm hard tube compression fittings; everything except the Monsoon stuff on here will work:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/water-cooling/hard-tubing/fittings/16-mm

The reason Monsoon won't work is because they use Imperial measurements and simply they don't do an exact Imperial conversion to 16mm. However, looking over the list I see the Monsoon EV2 range have a choice of different O-ring sizes to accommodate differences between imperial and metric.

Personally I'd just stick with something exactly and specifically 16mm, like the EK HDC range. It's one less hassle.

Soldato
Isn't the Thermaltake VTubler tubing actually imperial also? Thought I read that somewhere.

Thermaltake are confusing. The title of their web page is PETG Tube 5/8” (16mm), implying that the imperial unit is their primary measurement, yet the spec table at the bottom lists the OD as 16mm (5/8"), implying the metric unit is primary.

So I don't know.

gareth60: my advice to you right now is one of 2 things:

1: return/sell the tubing and buy something that 100% states their dimensions in imperial OR metric, not both. Preferably buy fittings from the same company too so you know it will match, i.e. EK -HDC fittings with EK tube

2: only buy Thermaltake fittings, such as this:
http://www.thermaltake.com/Cooler/L...Tube_16mm_5_8_OD_Compression_Black/design.htm

But I don't know what their quality is like.

Possible 3: give those Monsoon EV2 fittings a go since they seem to account for the slight differences in imperial/metric conversion.

Soldato
1: return/sell the tubing and buy something that 100% states their dimensions in imperial OR metric, not both. Preferably buy fittings from the same company too so you know it will match, i.e. EK -HDC fittings with EK tube

+1 on the above, can I also add that whilst I appreciate you're an amazing dad having got your son such decent kit I urge you not to cheap out on the bits that keep it all dry. Yes fittings are expensive but at this point £30 of those vs. leaky system is worth it - EKHD fittings are good, plus the tubing.

Back
Top Bottom