Water loop for benching.

Soldato
I have some stuff already which I have tried and it was nearly as bad as air cooling.
What I want to achieve is a loop that I can bench 2 cpus and 2-4gpus without everything melting like it does on air cooling. It would also be great if I could change out gpus easily, but I don't really want 2 loops.

For my first attempt that worked I used the following stuffs:
Moar 360LT rad, this is a 1080 rads so I thought it had loads of cooling capacity.
Xspc Bay res with D5 pump, this seemed to be a problem, it was very very hard to bleed the air out and the water flow seemed very low even at full speed.
For my cpus blocks I have a pair of phobya uc2 LT, these seems OK and cpus temps were about 55c max on dual 8 core Xeons.
For my gpus I was running 2*780 with aqua computer titan blocks. These were the main issue as the gpus were running warm 60c+ on the first and upto 70c+ on the second.
By the time the water got through the second gpu it was steaming in the bay res. I want to be able to run 4 cards without issue and I can't even run 2 atm. Do I need a another rad or another pump? Also how do I get more flow in my loop? I thought with the D5 being a big pump it would be OK. I see people running 3 hogh end cards on a separate loop with just a 480 or 240+360 rad an they get 50c on the hottest card :(.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you running those 180mm fans on the 360LT?
If so, I'd look into sticking some high pressure 120's on there instead. I found that it made a noticeable difference when running trifire/X79.

I also ran dual D5's in series fwiw, but I also had another 360 in the loop too + lots of right angles in the hardline.

A larger res may also help a bit.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Are you running those 180mm fans on the 360LT?
If so, I'd look into sticking some high pressure 120's on there instead. I found that it made a noticeable difference when running trifire/X79.

I also ran dual D5's in series fwiw, but I also had another 360 in the loop too + lots of right angles in the hardline.

A larger res may also help a bit.
i was using 9x120mm fans. i may try dual pumps as well and i have sold the bay res and i am looking at tube res now :)

Man of Honour
Another thing to consider is that you have to keep the water temp under 60 degrees C. Most components and tubing are only rated to 60 degrees and once you go over that the tubing gets soft and can easily come off the fittings.

Maybe you would be better off with a pair of pumps in series if one can't pump the liquid around enough. I would also ditch the 180mm fans and use 9x high static pressure 120mm fans which should improve temps. Another thing you could try is add a second rad halfway along the loop so that the coolant can get cooled between components instead of getting hotter and hotter as it passes from one component to the next.

Associate
If your building a bench rig then you need to know what's going on to improve it.
Randomly buying stuff isn't the way to go IMHO.

You need to test stuff to make sensible improvements

Sounds like your flow rate might be very low.

Test it by timing how long it takes to fill up a known volume (I like to use a 2l coke bottle)

Second you need some way to measure your water temperature. Just the reservoir temp is fine.
This will help to understand if you need more fans.

10 degrees is a big difference between cards in slr.
Assuming that's under the same load. I would be tempted to remount the cooler on the hotter card (unless flowrate is very poor)

Soldato
OP
If your building a bench rig then you need to know what's going on to improve it.
Randomly buying stuff isn't the way to go IMHO.

You need to test stuff to make sensible improvements

Sounds like your flow rate might be very low.

Test it by timing how long it takes to fill up a known volume (I like to use a 2l coke bottle)

Second you need some way to measure your water temperature. Just the reservoir temp is fine.
This will help to understand if you need more fans.

10 degrees is a big difference between cards in slr.
Assuming that's under the same load. I would be tempted to remount the cooler on the hotter card (unless flowrate is very poor)
I do have 6 temp probes now which i didnt have before so i could put them between each part to see where the most heat builds up. I think from what people have said i my get another pump and maybe another ran as well.

i may just ditch the cpu blocks when i'm using one cpu as i can use phase or ln2 instead. the reason i bought random water cooling parts was because i cant bring myself to buy water cooloing parts new as they are a massive rip off and dont hold there value :p

Associate
Have you done much more since your last post?

Often wondered if its worth buying a waterchiller for multi GPU setups and a few Raystorm GPU blocks, otherwise I gotta buy lots of slim pots, and I can only bench when I can order dice. A waterchiller means I can hook it up anytime and run low temps and have my CPU under ss

Benching sure ain't cheap is it lol

Back
Top Bottom