Quick Disconnect Connections

Associate
Any good for use as a drain port?

I'm building a Caselabs S8 with three 120.3 radiators. The side radiator will be linked to the rest of the loop via pass-through fittings.

7e7522bf_CaseLabs_Mercury_S8_DanL_SG_05_zpsqlnwsouc.jpg

Thinking about putting QDC fittings in the tubing runs between the side rad and pass through to act as drain ports. Side mount removes with a couple of screws and I'll have enough flex on the tubing to remove the rad/fan/side mount complete from the system.

This way I can completely disconnect the radiator from the loop and will have two drain lines from either side of the loop. I'll just need to buy an extra QDC and some tubing to attach to the loop for draining.

What do you think?

Associate
That quite a clever idea...

two extra "ends" will allow you to open up the ports and drain anywhere you like .. clever !

might have to steal that idea .. :)

Associate
OP
Thank you for the reassurance.

Also, if you connect the two fittings in the right manner...

1) Side Rad - male QDC - female QDC - through port
2) Side Rad - female QCD - male QDC - through port

You can then close your loop up with the side radiator removed. Not sure why one would want to do this but it's added flexibility with no sacrifice.

Last edited:
Associate
Hehe yes

I have two external rad and one internal

It does mean for the purpose of "testing" I can just hook up the internal stuff for this exact reason.

But hadn't thought about the extra connector for draining purposes !

Associate
OP
Good to know. I've got the new version on my current build as a drain port so glad to hear there are no reported problems.

Is there much difference between QD3 and QD4 fittings in terms of flow rate? QD4 provide greater flow but would I notice this...

Associate
Hes talking about the old version, the black QDC would rust and get stuck.

But they've fixed it for quite a while now.

heard this same horror story a few times.

I can say I have the new style black ones for over a year now, no issues so far.

You pick the QD size based on what tubing you are attaching in, mines all 16/10(At the moment!) I'm pretty sure mine are 3's ? just going out the door but I can check later.

Last edited:
Associate
Waiting for something else to finish so got delayed going out the door,

Yes I have QD3 connectors, I'm running a Ehiem pump and I that has far more flow rate than a D5 and seems to be fine.

I hope it helps :)

Soldato
Hes talking about the old version, the black QDC would rust and get stuck.

But they've fixed it for quite a while now.

Yeah they MIGHT well have fixed it. Can you guarantee that if you order the black 1's that you will receive the revised product?

I had to throw £150 worth of fittings in the bin!

Soldato
Yeah they MIGHT well have fixed it. Can you guarantee that if you order the black 1's that you will receive the revised product?

I had to throw £150 worth of fittings in the bin!

In theory all the old versions were replaced since the new version came out.

An easy way to distinguish would be to look on the inside of the fittings, new version are nickel plated, old versions are black painted.

Also, QD3 are the most recommended size for normal loop since QD4 is massive.

Associate
OP

An easy way to distinguish would be to look on the inside of the fittings, new version are nickel plated, old versions are black painted.

I went with QD3 13/19mm un-painted. Had to Order direct from Koolance in USA because I couldn't find any stockists in Europe!

Associate

hmm. interesting.... i had no end of problems with the three pairs i got. all in a box somewhere. i wasn't aware that there was a revision.....

Back
Top Bottom