ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS

Associate
Does it matter in regards to your cpu choice do you mean? I shouldn't think so but I can't be 100% sure on that, as you have the 16 and I'm running the 8. I'm not home for a few weeks but can check my revision number. My first one had a damaged cpu socket due to the protective cover coming off. Never actually looked at the replacement I got for revision number, I was just glad it booted once I changed the ram.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi!
Now I feel really bad, because I was linking to the wrong page "ASUS Z10PE-D16" but I have the motherboard with WS in the end: https://www.asus.com/Server-Workstation/Z10PED16_WS/HelpDesk_CPU/ - which just lists all the CPU's.

Anyway, after phone with ASUS yesterday I updated the BIOS to latest version (page 55 in the manual PDF) without CPU/RAM and now I'm able to boot to get the Q-code 61.

Awaiting RAM for delivery today, I'll post how it goes. Thanks for clarification, colinmcr

Associate
Ah no worries...
I think once you get the ecc ram in you will get a boot no problem. I had the same error code for my non-ecc ram.
The only other issue I had was I didn't disable onboard vga (via the jumper) so I was met with a black screen when my gfx card was plugged in. So make sure you move the jumper to disabled. That's if the D16-WS has that, I don't have the manual for your motherboard so can't be sure.
Good luck and let me know how you get on once ram arrives :)

Associate
I'm back and everything works just great with ECC memories! Server up and running.

I don't have an external graphic card so I keep the VGA enabled, but the only thing I'm not pleased with now is the boot time.

I understand that there is a lot of components that needs to be initialized on the MB, but is it possible to disable stuff, such as the flashing BMC LED and Intel Boot Agent?
I couldn’t find it in the BIOS but it tries to boot it from PXE and takes a lot of time before it boots the SATA SSD. Any idea?

Thanks again for the help!

Associate
There is a guy "venturi" who has commented on this post before, he has written some things on his build log over on overclock.net he seems to understand the bios a lot better than me for sure. I'll edit this post once I find his thread to link to you.

So glad you got it up and running though, must be a relief :)

EDIT: Have a read through this might help http://www.overclock.net/t/1512077/asus-z10pe-d8-ws-dual-xeon-workstation-motherboard/140

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm back and everything works just great with ECC memories! Server up and running.

I don't have an external graphic card so I keep the VGA enabled, but the only thing I'm not pleased with now is the boot time.

I understand that there is a lot of components that needs to be initialized on the MB, but is it possible to disable stuff, such as the flashing BMC LED and Intel Boot Agent?
I couldn’t find it in the BIOS but it tries to boot it from PXE and takes a lot of time before it boots the SATA SSD. Any idea?

Thanks again for the help!

The reason for the slow start is the ECC memory check as well as generally the server bios has a load more features(Like remote access) and security restrictions/procedures(TPM) in the bios making It take longer to boot. Not really much you can do about it.

Associate
For a faster boot

first be on bios 1001

second

change csm to UEFI for storage, network and other. Leave video as legacy unless you absolutely positively know the os and card can do it.

change splash delay from 5sec to 2 sec

boot uefi

boot is several times faster

Associate
Blackbadger are you still following this thread? I've got my machine running again for Folding and BONIC. Just wondered how you got the overclock you had for Cinebench, can't seem to find where to adjust the multiplier.
Currently on 2.6Ghz for both cpu's

Associate
OP
Hey Colin

Glad it's all up and running nicely for you.
I can't remember :). I haven't gone into the bios for 6+ months. I do recall not fully understanding most of the options so just left them at default.

The system is busy crunching working on a terra pixel image for the next couple of days so I can't check.
And no... I'm not lucky enough to get my hands on one of these puppys ;).

168y3yx.jpg

I'll see if It can do some screen dumps, or failing that "behold the phone camera".

If I forget please PM me with a nudge.

Edit just had a look in the manual, I think it's under the AI auto tune.. - set that to manual, I did not go above 103 if I recall.

Last edited:
Associate
I saw on your cinebench screen shot your multiplier is 30 and blck 104.99 I'm guessing your chips are locked at 30?? Mine are 25 and 105 blck is highest I can go without failing to post.

Here's mine just checking to watercooling loop

f7j6ksu.jpg

vxf1XZA.jpg

Associate
I upgraded to Windows 10 Home this morning now its only seeing one cpu not both. Any ideas?

EDIT: Trying to go back to Win7 Pro, lot of messing around to enable me to use my old key (I'd installed on more than one machine). Also had trouble with external usb drive, had to plug it into a different usb port, otherwise windows install is looking for a driver I don't have. Next issue was I tried to use my new NVME Samsung ssd, it won't install to it but will install to the Non-NVME version :(

Last edited:
Associate
Just out of interest how many times do you see the POST message/Intel Boot Agent during start up? Mine cycles through them about 3 times prior to OS boot.

Associate
I upgraded to Windows 10 Home this morning now its only seeing one cpu not both. Any ideas?

EDIT: Trying to go back to Win7 Pro, lot of messing around to enable me to use my old key (I'd installed on more than one machine). Also had trouble with external usb drive, had to plug it into a different usb port, otherwise windows install is looking for a driver I don't have. Next issue was I tried to use my new NVME Samsung ssd, it won't install to it but will install to the Non-NVME version :(

From memory all home versions of windows are limited to one socket you need pro for a multisocket rig.

Hi,
I installed a new Asus RTX 2080 ti Turbo graphics card. I do not see any display on the monitor until windows starts.
I do not see any BIOS messages or posts. I see only windows screen straight when the Nvidia driver kicks in.
I could see bios settings in my previous GPU which was Titan X.
Has anybody come across this issue ?

[Resolved : HDMI to HDMI did not work. DisplayPort to HDMI worked fine.]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom