Apple Pay Launch - How will it be activated?

Associate
It is looking like Apple Pay is going to be launching a week today and i am trying to find out how this will be activated on UK devices. Surely there won't be an iOS update specifically just for the UK?

Man of Honour
I set the region to the US, added the card then switched back to UK and it's now in my passbook and showing on my apple watch.

If you read the thread in the link, a lot of people have done the same :)

Soldato
Another reason for me too leave Barclays, they think they can make something better for some reasons. Annoyed that they don't even have touchID yet in their official app.

Associate
Could someone clarify for me, does a retailer have to specifically support Apple pay or will it be usable anywhere that currently supports contactless payments? When I went to showcase cinema last week my mate asked if they will support Apple pay when it launches. They specifically said they won't. But they already have contactless terminals

Man of Honour
From the site

"Apple Pay does not require Apple-specific contactless payment terminals and will work with Visa's PayWave, MasterCard's PayPass, and American Express's ExpressPay terminals."

Soldato
Is it still going to be capped at £20?

If so, it kind of defeats the point of the fingerprint security doesn't it?

It should be £20 if you just wave your phone by the terminal and unlimited if you authorise it with your fingerprint.

Soldato
Is it still going to be capped at £20?

If so, it kind of defeats the point of the fingerprint security doesn't it?

It should be £20 if you just wave your phone by the terminal and unlimited if you authorise it with your fingerprint.

Rising to £30 later this year no?

Blame the banks for being backward on the cap, I'm sure once contactless is more established the cap will be raised to something substantial.

Associate
OP
Rising to £30 later this year no?

Blame the banks for being backward on the cap, I'm sure once contactless is more established the cap will be raised to something substantial.

Would you really want someone potentially taking your card an using it for an NFC payment over £30? I certainly wouldn't.

I do agree however that there needs to be a cap increase specifically for TouchID payments.

Associate
No Apple Pay option being displayed in Passbook on my phone, but oddly it DOES appear in the Passbook section of the Apple Watch app on my phone.

Have just gone through the add card process from there and right at the end it says "Card not added - please contact your card issuer". Kind of figures - I'm with First Direct and somebody said on Engadget this morning that they aren't supporting it until 24th July ...

Soldato
No Apple Pay option being displayed in Passbook on my phone, but oddly it DOES appear in the Passbook section of the Apple Watch app on my phone.

Have just gone through the add card process from there and right at the end it says "Card not added - please contact your card issuer". Kind of figures - I'm with First Direct and somebody said on Engadget this morning that they aren't supporting it until 24th July ...

On Twitter they're just saying 'by the end of the month' so that ties in. Pity they couldn't have it from launch.

Back
Top Bottom