RMA'ing Evga G2 Supernova 1000w

Soldato
What do you think I'll get back in replacement? In Evga T&C they say I'll get a refurb, would you use a refurbished PSU or would you sell it and get a Seasonic Prime 80+ Titanium? Really feel dubious about using PSU's now as I've had a XFX fail (no damage to pc) then this one after 3 years (35 months) starts killing GPU's.

Man of Honour
I would presume that a refurbished psu would be recertified and come with at least a years warranty. I have to admit though that I would never buy a refurbished psu and would be in two minds about using one from a warranty replacement. My paranoid side say's that if it's failed once and been returned and fixed who is to say that it won't fail again?

I wouldn't buy one of those Seasonic Primes though, the prices are very high. If you wanted to try a different brand how about one of the excellent Corsair RMx series? Argueably they are Corsair's finest psu's. Don't be put off just because they are CWT units because they get top marks in reviews. Jonnyguru gave the RM750x 9.8/10 and the RM1000x 10/10.

Soldato
I would presume that a refurbished psu would be recertified and come with at least a years warranty. I have to admit though that I would never buy a refurbished psu and would be in two minds about using one from a warranty replacement. My paranoid side say's that if it's failed once and been returned and fixed who is to say that it won't fail again?

I wouldn't buy one of those Seasonic Primes though, the prices are very high. If you wanted to try a different brand how about one of the excellent Corsair RMx series? Argueably they are Corsair's finest psu's. Don't be put off just because they are CWT units because they get top marks in reviews. Jonnyguru gave the RM750x 9.8/10 and the RM1000x 10/10.

Well the whole point of warranty is to fix the problem but getting the refurbished it should continue with its 10y warranty and not 1y.

As the matter of a fact my EVGA supernova G2 1000W just developed a busted bearing on the fan. I would not mind if not audiable but I can hear it as my pc is almost silent. And now after reading this I am not sure if I should RMA it...its the only bit in my PC making any noise. I dont want to drop another 150 quid for psu when I payed for this behemoth with 10 y warranty...makes no sense ?:(

Soldato
Shouldn't the replacement come with the balance of the warranty? No idea how it works but if I'd bought something with a ten year warranty I wouldn't be happy if the replacement only had a year!

Soldato
OP
Shouldn't the replacement come with the balance of the warranty? No idea how it works but if I'd bought something with a ten year warranty I wouldn't be happy if the replacement only had a year!

No as I forgot to register, I did just after the 30 days :rolleyes: I got 3 years warranty, I brought it on 30th october 2013 so just in warranty and what happens is EVGA say that the warranty continues on from the original products warranty, so I'll probably get one that is about to kill my whole PC this time :D

TBH I've had enough of PSU's doing stuff to me, I had a XFX Core Edition 550w before the Evga and that ended up dying slowly and managed to get a refund on it. I don't seem to get any luck with them.

Yes if you damage the 'warranty void if removed' sticker. I would RMA it in your case, as a fan with a busted bearing is only going to get noisier.

Mine just fell off and I put it to one side and ended up losing it, luckily I told Evga and they said it was fine however I still have the original box with warranty sticker on that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes if you damage the 'warranty void if removed' sticker. I would RMA it in your case, as a fan with a busted bearing is only going to get noisier.

I thought so, the problem is the fan noise is intermittent, and I don't want to send it away just for them to say they could not hear anything :/

Soldato
OP
I thought so, the problem is the fan noise is intermittent, and I don't want to send it away just for them to say they could not hear anything :/

Look at the PSU, I think you will find that the warranty sticker doesn't cover anything that would avoid you taking it apart.

Soldato
Look at the PSU, I think you will find that the warranty sticker doesn't cover anything that would avoid you taking it apart.

I will drop evga an email to see what they suggest I think the noise is too quiet for them to consider it a problem...will see

Soldato
59ae035732c9f8a13cfb70d5cdfde659c99f2009c912d719e4242393c6146cb2.jpg

Soldato
I will drop evga an email to see what they suggest I think the noise is too quiet for them to consider it a problem...will see

Have you tried using the switch on the back to turn the fan off? If will turn it back on under sustained heavy load when your gaming but most of the time it will be just off, i used it for a while until i replaced my fan, made it much less annoying as i couldnt hear it over game sounds only if i muted the games or when i ran benchmarks.

Soldato
OP
Have you tried using the switch on the back to turn the fan off? If will turn it back on under sustained heavy load when your gaming but most of the time it will be just off, i used it for a while until i replaced my fan, made it much less annoying as i couldnt hear it over game sounds only if i muted the games or when i ran benchmarks.

Not all the Supernova' have that switch, my old one didn't.

EDIT: Good new Evga appear to be sending me a P2 1000w! Nice of them to upgrade me, if it works well I'll be keeping it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Alright thought I'd just drop in and say the RMA was successful so far, seems to be no issues with the replacement. Evga all round customer service was excellent, shame I had to pay the £10 courier though.

Soldato
Just as an update, I've rma'd my g2 1000w PSU because of noisy fan and got back a 1000w T2 :D brand new sealed....thats some top notch customer service

Back
Top Bottom