Planning permission / architects

Soldato
We're looking at extending our house at the back, creating a kitchen diner and also extending the lounge. Our next door neighbours have just submitted something exactly the same and had approval and their plans are online (plus they gave us a copy).

I contacted their architect and they basically want £1250 to draw up the same plans and submit for planning permission, and then another £750 for the detailed construction plans, so £2000 all in. This seems pretty expensive for work that is already done so I'm wondering if I should apply for planning permission myself, using the same plans as next door (I'll speak to them about it before).

Are there any pitfalls or minefields I'll hit here? My only concern is getting the detailed construction plans but I'm sure if I offer to go halves with next door they would provide them.

Soldato
The architect own the copyright for their design and drawings, your neighbours can use them for the purpose they have paid for, if you want to use them you need to pay for them. If you don't like the quote they have given then go to an alternative person.
You can't just use drawings that someone has prepared for someone else because you think it's a bit expensive. It would be very easy for the architect to see you have used their drawings too as they are available to view online.

Soldato
OP
That's fine, I wouldn't use their drawings and I'd want to change a couple of things anyway. To be honest the ones they submitted for the actual planning permission are so simple I could probably knock them up in a morning myself with the measurements. Just wondering if anyone here has done anything similar themselves?

Last edited:
Soldato
Nothing stopping you using there drawings and calcs as 'inspiration' for your own, plenty of people hand draw there own plans and get permission. The detailed construction plans probably are not needed unless your doing something on a very large scale the average builder will probably be able to work off just the permissions drawings.

Soldato
We get plans drawn by applicants occasionally. If it's a fairly simple proposal, just make sure they are all to scale and they should be fine.

Associate
We're looking at extending our house at the back, creating a kitchen diner and also extending the lounge. Our next door neighbours have just submitted something exactly the same and had approval and their plans are online (plus they gave us a copy).

I contacted their architect and they basically want £1250 to draw up the same plans and submit for planning permission, and then another £750 for the detailed construction plans, so £2000 all in. This seems pretty expensive for work that is already done so I'm wondering if I should apply for planning permission myself, using the same plans as next door (I'll speak to them about it before).

Are there any pitfalls or minefields I'll hit here? My only concern is getting the detailed construction plans but I'm sure if I offer to go halves with next door they would provide them.

So you have an idea of a reasonable cost, I am paying £450 for the first part, then £400 for the detailed construction plans.

Associate
So you have an idea of a reasonable cost, I am paying £450 for the first part, then £400 for the detailed construction plans.

I'd suggest that someone's location would have a big effect on cost, Op is in London.
It will also depend on how big/complex the plans are.
I've paid £1k for planning drawing and currently awaiting the building warrant/construction plans but my original payment covered him measuring up the house etc.

Soldato
Planning drawing

You would have to draw up your own, even if means using neighbour's for inspiration. Now, bear in mind that the copyright belongs to the architect and they know you are planning an extension. Strictly speaking, if you submitted similar plans for planning, and they were bothered with it, they could sue you on the grounds of copyright.

Construction plans

In theory, nothing wrong with using neighbour's details, as long as both properties are exactly the same. However, please consider other issues about contractor's queries, building insurance, etc. Because no one has taken responsility for YOUR details, who answers queries about construction, and will your insurance accept it? Bear in mind the original architect only designed it for the neighbour and not you.

My recommendation is you get both set of drawings by the architect, and appointed properly, after negotiating the price down. At least that means, if there are any issues with planning, construction, etc, you have someone to go back to. Doing it yourself is just a higher risk.

What about Building Regulations package - presume the architect's fee will include this, but what about structural calculations for the extension, foundations, maybe even below ground drainage (if you're making changes)? Who will be responsible to submitting to Building Control. The architect should advise you if you appoint him.

Last edited:
Soldato
£2000 seems very pricey imo, if you are not confident in submitting the application yourself then find another architect.

Back
Top Bottom