£1100 to spend on the "one forever-ish" system

Soldato
Your comment didn't give details to help the OP choose "something better" so I assumed you're talking about its ability to provide power, therefore implying it's bad since that's it's primary function. In my book a PSU that runs for 4 years is a decent product.

I'm not defending my buying choices here, I don't like it when I see advice that gives no details and no help. It's just a random line chucked in to the thread because super flower is the popular PSU. The CX is absolutely fine if you don't mind that it isn't modular.

I agree I could/should have suggested a better alternative. The CX500 is better suited to a low end build imo not an unlocked i5 with a GTX 1070. The internals are not that great and it is only rated for 30c. It isn't going to explode into a ball of flames, but I would want something better. In fact he could get the newer Grey label CX or the SuperFlower Golden Green for an extra £1. Both of those would have been better choices.

Associate
When I see "foreverish" PC set in question and i5 as an answer I always make big "boo" in my mind. Someone does not realize that Mainstream (LGA 1151) is always fastest aging platform. Foreverish should look rather this way, as nobody can say if gaming market will expand rapidly only because Intel started to release 60-cores CPUs and developers will utilize them immediately (yes, 8c/16t won't be 60c/120t, but still better than 4c/8t):

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/b-gr...socket-2011-ddr4-atx-mb-297-ms-bg-513-ms.html
Xeon E5-1620 V3
200 (Ebay)
Memory = something like for LGA1151, but x2 (quad channel)
PSU = adequate for graphic card(s)
Similar budget, but bigger expansion possibilities.

"Foreverish" means if you after 4-5 years get bored with 4-cores CPU, you can always swap it to real 8 cores and 16 threads (or 6/12). I mean CPU change only. AFter 4-5 years they shouldn't have extremely high prices, like today (and after all, you can buy another Xeon, not i7). But when you stick to practically dead (after 4 years) LGA 1151, you'd be able to change i5 to i7 only which is additional hyperthreading only.
Choice is yours, of course :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Quick question my 1070 arrived today I'm tempted to put it in my current rig but it only has a 430w corsair psu

Would i damage it at all?

Never mind opted for the CX650M - Now I'm angst on which motherboard to get really fancy an X99 board but Z170 will suffice as i doubt i'll ever upgrade the cpu for a good few years...

Hoping the maximus motherboards come down in price as i like the plastic shroud around them

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So then

I went with an i5 6600K £209 thought this was a good price and i sent the i7 back which cost me £349

16gb G skill ripjaw 2400mhz ram (doesn't suit the build as red but its all amazon prime now had in DDR4) Will change it soon

Asrock generic Z170 Motherboard cost me £89 (again all they had in stock)

GTX 1070 Founders £389 from lovely OcUK :D

H100i GTX v2
Toshiba 250Gb ssd will upgrade this to a Samsung done the line
WD Red 1Tb had this spare
650W Corsair RM series PSU

Razer Man o War 7.1 wireless headset

So I've spent a fortune in the last two weeks and i have to stop before the wife notices :D

Next on the list will be a monitor as a 42" tv just wont do.

Back
Top Bottom