Asus Z87 Deluxe and adding a SATA card

Associate
My Motherboard has 6 SATA sockets coming off the Intel Chipset and 4 running from it's ASMedia 1061 chipset, i think (testing right now) the 1061 is on it's way out so i'm planning on buying some form of 4 port SATA card, looking like a StarTech PEXSAT34RH I have nothing in any of my slots right now and at most will put a passive video card in at some point, so wanting to take max advantage of the lanes and speeds i have is this the right card for me?
Sometimes i do pump a lot of data about and sometimes it will be from one drive to another both being on this card, I didn't to spend too much but this the best deal i can get.
80% of the drives are WD Blacks and the other 20% will be green and blue.

All1

Man of Honour
I would say no. It uses the crappy Marvell controller which can be slower than even a Intel Sata 2 controller. A lot of us found this out when P55 boards launched with sata 3 provided by a Marvell chip only for us to resort back to the Intel sata 2 controller as it was faster. You will not get anywhere near the speeds of the Intel Sata 3 controller on your motherboard. I just checked a couple of reviews plus looked at the reviews on Amazon and they confirm this.

Associate
OP
OK thanks looks like i'm back to the drawing board and need to do more reading and find something better, mind you if i spend anything over £60-£70 I might as well look at a 2nd hand one on fleabay but then risk getting someone else's problems.

All1

Back
Top Bottom