DAC, Cans, Mic

Soldato
Ok im looking to freshen up my sound setup for my pc. It will be used for a mix of gaming/voice comms/music/movies

Current setup is a set of Corsair H2100s via usb. and Harman/kardon soundstick III via the onboard sound.

I have picked out a DAC some cans and a mic but would like to check the DAC and cans will work together fine (dont really get all the impedance and ohms stuff :p ). So advice on whether it will all be fine together or anything needs improving would be great.

DAC - FiiO E10K

Cans - AKG K702's

Mic - Blue Yeti Blackout Edition

Do these look ok or are there better alternatives in the same sort of price ranges

Cheers in advance

Associate
I don't know why, but I simple cannot stand the sound of any AKG headphone. Have you compared them to any other headphones? For the price of the k702 you have a lot of different options.

Soldato
OP
I don't know why, but I simple cannot stand the sound of any AKG headphone. Have you compared them to any other headphones? For the price of the k702 you have a lot of different options.

I haven't tried them no, but where I'm buying from have good returns so if I don't like them they can go back :)

Associate
sorry to jump on this thread a little as i have the K702's already but with a SB-Z.

is the FiiO E10K a good choice? are there any other options that are worth considering? (around £100ish i guess)

I know from some of Rids57 threads he uses the Asus sound card instead (with some expensive dac/amp :)) but thats a little too much i want to pay :/

Soldato
I'm running my K702s through my E10K right now as a test:

They are sounding good and the volume is LOUD at 5/8 on low gain or 3/8 on high gain.
I've also turned on the bass boost which works spectacularly well with the AKGs and combined with the bass port mod the bass is strong and punchy. They still sound a little bass light to me BUT I've been using my Sony MDR-1As for the last couple of months and they have a LOT of bass, so not a good comparison.

If you want virtual surround / positional audio for gaming then you'll have to use Razor's software because the E10K DAC is stereo only with no DSP.

Soldato
pretty much my setup but using a sb-z debating getting an ek10 atm see if it makes much difference.

I love the AKG K702's there the comfiest and best sounding headphones ive ever tried.

Associate
If you want virtual surround / positional audio for gaming then you'll have to use Razor's software because the E10K DAC is stereo only with no DSP.

not so fussed on the virtual sound as I've always gamed with stereo anyway and turned off any virtual settings.

Basically i've noticed that the output sounds a bit distorted but fine through my speakers so i'm assuming/hoping its just not being able to power the K702s enough.

So looks like i'll be ordering a E10K when I get home!

thanks Rids

Soldato
OP
DAC and mic arrived last week, headphones arrived today. Wow they are light, was expecting much more weight to them. they are very comfy, can see myself forgetting I have them on and walking off with them still attached :p

The sound is awesome compared to my old set (corsair h2100). Haven't encountered anything where the bass sounds low yet, but have only tested them for an hour or so atm.

So far very very happy, time to get some more listening done, and thanks to all who took time to reply and recommend, much appreciated :)

Back
Top Bottom