Sound card for Studio Monitors?

Associate
I recently bought a pair of JBL LSR305 Studio Monitors for my PC and I was wondering if I should be replacing my really old SB X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro.

I listen to a lot of music (Spotify Premium mostly) also play games and watch movies. Would I get much better audio quality with a new sound card? The monitors are fantastic and I want to use them to their full potential.

Also, please note that the monitors are connected to a Yamaha MG10/2 Mixer which is connected to the sound card.

Associate
Monitors aren't particularly nice to listen to music on as they're very bright and clinical typically. The difference in sound cards is a $3 DAC vs a $5 one and frankly I doubt you'd notice a difference. Even if you bought a £300 sound card, really you're paying for interfaces and latency performance rather than DAC quality.

Also, if you're listening to lossy music (MP3, streamed etc) then it's really not even worth talking about :)

Soldato
I'm a bit of a hifi and av nut - and I bought some LSR305s for my keyboard - and since then they've been used all round the house and absolutely fantastic - some of the nicest speakers I've heard - there is just nothing to criticise. I've plugged mine into a Fiio E17K DAC - and sound fantastic :)

I used to spend a fortune on hifi kit, 400+ on 2nd hand cd players, same on amp, and speakers, I reckon the LSR305s + Fiio E17k - so total outlay about 300 quid sound far better than any of the previous hifi I owned :) I did originally have a budget up to about £1k for front speakers for av system downstairs - and now probably just going to buy a pair of LSR308s - I think the JBLs sound that good :)

in summary I think the LSR305s justify a decent input - that said that soundcard is no slouch :) JBLs parent company HK - spend a lot of money on R&D and it shows, one of JBL/HK prinicpals for speakers seems to be decent off-axis performance

2 products I bought in last year have turned my thought on hifi brands, one was a pair of JVC HAS-400 headphones (which are fantastic wish I'd bought more pairs) and these JBL LSR305s - I'd never have considered JBL speakers for hifi/av

yes no fancy wood etc .... but who cares if they sound card

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom