Budget DACs

Soldato
Sorry I know this probably gets asked a lot but searching for DAC gives a load of unrelated threads.

I've got some Yamaha HS5 which are currently running off of my Xonar DGX, somewhere in my system I must have some coil whine as it is coming through to the speakers, possibly from the motherboard or PSU which hums under load.

Long term the PC needs a complete upgrade (2nd gen Intel, 780ti etc) but cost wise it's not feasible right now.

So, tl;dr will a DAC help rid my speaker interference?

If so which of these (or other suggestions):

SMSL SD-793II
Pros - Cheapest @ £50-60, headphone out
Cons - Quality? only phono out and optical/coax in

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Pros - Balanced outputs, USB in, headphone port
Cons - A lot of extra guff that I don't need?

Audioengine D1
Pros - Headphone out, USB in
Cons - Only phono out, top end of budget @ £150

As much as I'd love a TEAC UD-301 with the balanced outputs budget wise @ £270 (Massdrop @ todays rates) that isn't quite an option for now.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The noise gets worse under load, if I load a game up its much louder through the speakers. Its a buzz rather than a hum to be fair.

Not the speakers, no issues through a different source with same cables.

C64

C64

Soldato
tried another pci-e slot ? remember sound cards can be plugged in to the unused graphics card slot as well as pci-e x1 slots

Soldato
OP
It's a matx board there aren't any once the 780 is in the way. Same thing happens from on-board audio. Why I'm thinking a usb/optical external unit might help?

Soldato
The SMSL SD-793II is a very capable DAC and using it optically will completely isolate your speakers from the PC. So unless the hum is airborne EMI (doubtful) then using the SML should eradicate it completely.

Zeos reviews it here:

Soldato
OP
The SMSL SD-793II is a very capable DAC and using it optically will completely isolate your speakers from the PC. So unless the hum is airborne EMI (doubtful) then using the SML should eradicate it completely.

Zeos reviews it here:

Kinda what I was thinking regarding isolation. Nice review of the SMSL too, very reassuring.

Soldato
Zeos has listened to some very expensive gear but still rates all of his SMSL stuff very highly. He may not have an audiophile ear and actively calls ******** on a lot of it but he does know great value for money.

Associate
Zeos is alright. I don't like how the guys on SBAF rip him I think he's just your average dude and the Audio Community can be stuck up their own arse at times. I wouldn't trust him for headphone or sound advice but for your average person not looking for SQ I think he does a good job.

I kind of see his point about not describing SQ because nothing stands it from the crowed minus the NH but A basic description would be nice.

Soldato
I like his videos and have a lot of respect for the guy.
He's an ordinary audio fan that loves music (of all sorts). He doesn't pretend to have super sensitive hearing and has great difficulty telling one DAC from another (I'm with him on that).
His latest was ripping the Mojo a new one - he likes the sound but doesn't think it's worth the price, preferring the considerably cheaper Oppo HA2 in every way.

Associate
My views on DACs has always been if it's resolving enough and isn't a mess then focus on the sound signature you want via headphones and amps.

I use the Mojo as my only source nowadays and I believe it's worth the money for my uses but it certainly isn't the best thing out there like Headfi hyped it. It's just a solid, well extended warm sound with a slight bloom that I enjoy...nothing really more to say about it.

The audiophile community look down on people like Zeos but in reality how many actually know what they are talking about? Most of the stuff is parroted from someone else. I'm not even going to read headfi anymore and r/headphones I was mainly trolling/messing around out of boredom with the occasional serious post...that's headfi part2 people are so serious on there.

I can tell you one thing about Zeos, his mind is absolutely bomb proof; I've personally had mass views make me question my opinion before and I think most people have but he doesn't at all.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Zeos has listened to some very expensive gear but still rates all of his SMSL stuff very highly. He may not have an audiophile ear and actively calls ******** on a lot of it but he does know great value for money.

SMSL stuff seems a bit hit and miss to me - it is largely based on tried and tested components but some of the designs are better than others i.e. the sAp VI - it should have been good but is just ok due to poor design implementation and while it can be made good it is almost as much effort as just building it from ground up yourself.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is that the very high powered headphone amp with a big chunk of aluminium as the case (acts as a heatsink too)?
If so Zeos liked the build quality but was a bit bemused as to why it needed to exist. :D

Soldato
My views on DACs has always been if it's resolving enough and isn't a mess then focus on the sound signature you want via headphones and amps.

I use the Mojo as my only source nowadays and I believe it's worth the money for my uses but it certainly isn't the best thing out there like Headfi hyped it. It's just a solid, well extended warm sound with a slight bloom that I enjoy...nothing really more to say about it.

The audiophile community look down on people like Zeos but in reality how many actually know what they are talking about? Most of the stuff is parroted from someone else. I'm not even going to read headfi anymore and r/headphones I was mainly trolling/messing around out of boredom with the occasional serious post...that's headfi part2 people are so serious on there.

I can tell you one thing about Zeos, his mind is absolutely bomb proof; I've personally had mass views make me question my opinion before and I think most people have but he doesn't at all.

That new Schiit Amp/DAC, the Jotunheim, looks rather tasty: Fully balanced DAC (module) and Amp, it can drive anything from ultra sensitive IEMs to the HiFiMan HE6 with a totally inaudible noise floor, can be used balanced or unbalanced and you can buy it as Amp only or with the DAC module fitted and all for under £500 (under £400 for the Amp only).

Soldato
Needing to replace my aging and on the way out HiFiMAN EF2A I was also going to the give the SMSL SD793II a bash but have gone for the SMSL M3 instead. When it arrives tomorrow I'll let you know what I think.

Soldato
OP
SD-793II works well and had solved my buzzing noise.

Nice little unit, no noticeable hiss while no audio is running. Audio quality seems spot on.

Must remember to turn it on before the yamahas though as it makes a loud pop the speakers otherwise.

Not tried the headphone amp yet.

Soldato
SD-793II works well and had solved my buzzing noise.

Nice little unit, no noticeable hiss while no audio is running. Audio quality seems spot on.

Must remember to turn it on before the yamahas though as it makes a loud pop the speakers otherwise.

Not tried the headphone amp yet.

Got to love hate when your speakers pop/buzz or the like :p

Good to hear you've solved your problem, and ventured into the world of DACs as well :)

Back
Top Bottom