M.2 NVME SSD Cooling ?

Caporegime
Erm, I get 2200 read, 1600 write.
76% full of 512Mb after 8 months use.
HWMonitor doesn't show a temp for it, but the sticker on the drive has turned brown!
Have I got a super speed, super heated drive or something?!

Depends on the benchmark you use ;)

Point i was trying to make is my, mine is none NVME so slower, card is running at full speed and never goes above 40C

Last edited:
Associate
Well having another look (last time was a couple months ago) the sticker behind is still white. I just remember being a bit shocked, yet the drive is working like a dream. Maybe it's just poor quality paper or something.

5628a7510886280.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]

My SM951 is on the underside of the Mobo and has little to no cooling. It seems to work perfectly fine but when I took the mobo out the other day the sticker had gone brown (same as yours), glad I'm not the only one. They should make these M2 SSDs with a thin heat sink on so it at least offers some kind of heat dissipation.

Caporegime
My SM951 is on the underside of the Mobo and has little to no cooling. It seems to work perfectly fine but when I took the mobo out the other day the sticker had gone brown (same as yours), glad I'm not the only one. They should make these M2 SSDs with a thin heat sink on so it at least offers some kind of heat dissipation.

cheap ram heatsinks and double sided thermal stick tape is your answer. The sticker peels off easily enough and I stuck it on the back of the ssd.

Associate
The newer samsung drives (960 Pro, and I think others) actually have a copper layer in the sticker which acts as a heatspreader.

But really, you probably don't use the drive in a sustained manner such as would cause a slowdown, unless you run Anandtech's Destroyer all day.

Associate
i have a x99 sabertooth and a 950 pro i use the cover for the m.2 slot had no issues in a year or so.

I recently changed motherboards to the Formula which has armour much like the Sabertooth that covers the M.2 slot and while I didn't see my 950 Pro throttle I didn't like the sort of temperatures it was running at in normal use.

I didn't like the thought that heat from the drive would possibly affect or be affected by the already hot PCH next to it so I bought one of the Aqua Computer Kyro M.2 adapter cards with passive heatsink.

In the m.2 slot the drive was running well into the 60's in just normal use, with the adapter it runs in the low 40's which makes me much happier.

Back
Top Bottom