M.2 NVME SSD Cooling ?

Soldato
So I'm looking into getting my first M.2 NVME SSD today, The mobo I have, X99 Sabertooth, Has an M.2 slot underneath a little cover you unscrew but there's 1 thing I'm concerned about, Temps.

From what I'm seeing there doesn't appear to be much in the way of airflow to this particular section, Would sticking on little metal ram coolers be effective in this situation ?

Caporegime
I dont see why it wouldnt work... I have one in mine without any cooling on it and it works without issues...

Stelly

Been shown in many a review when benchmarking that their transfer speeds slow up a lot when getting hot.

In day to day with just say windows and programs on it, it shouldnt get that hot as you arent thrashing it constantly.

I bought some ram chip heatsinks and sticky thermal pads for mine and keeps it nice and cool.

Ill let you know tonight what temp its at in windows use and benchmark use.

Caporegime
Hmmm what are you guys using to check temps? Mine using Hwinfo64 says 33C just normal in windows and 37C when I am benchmarking it with something

Associate
Hmmm what are you guys using to check temps? Mine using Hwinfo64 says 33C just normal in windows and 37C when I am benchmarking it with something

Aida64 running in the background during a game session with the sensor tab open.

Edit to add,

I get the highest temps when gaming, not during bench testing

Pic below is at idle browsing speeds(Z170/6700K/NVMe SM951)

Last edited:
Associate
Erm, I get 2200 read, 1600 write.
76% full of 512Mb after 8 months use.
HWMonitor doesn't show a temp for it, but the sticker on the drive has turned brown!
Have I got a super speed, super heated drive or something?!

Soldato
OP
Erm, I get 2200 read, 1600 write.
76% full of 512Mb after 8 months use.
HWMonitor doesn't show a temp for it, but the sticker on the drive has turned brown!
Have I got a super speed, super heated drive or something?!

If the sticker has turned brown then this is not good as something is starting to burn.

Associate
Well having another look (last time was a couple months ago) the sticker behind is still white. I just remember being a bit shocked, yet the drive is working like a dream. Maybe it's just poor quality paper or something.

5628a7510886280.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom