Resolution or frame rate?

Associate
I'm currently running a asus PB287Q 4k monitor and i have always been a singleplayer resolution over frame rate person. But over the past few months i have been playing a ton of overwatch and i have got curious about high refresh rate. I had Planed on getting the acer Predator X34 1440p Ultra Wide and gotten as close to the best of both worlds as possible with an immersive 21:9 aspect ratio at the cost of some resolution but i would be willing to take that hit for that. So I'm wondering should i get the 200hz 1080p 21:9 acer predator. I mostly play fps and a bit of strategy i'm also concerned about compatibility with both the frame rate and the 21:9 aspect ratio some games won't go over 60 or 30 for that matter. I mostly play overwatch,7 days to die and Battlefleet gothic armada. For Battlefleet gothic armada it's locked at 60 but since it's a strategy game not really a big deal however i'm not sure if it will support 21:9 i know 7 days to die is unsupported but it will still work the hud will just be right in each corner and has unlocked frame rates and overwatch is grey in the 21:9 department and again unlocked frame rates. So if you have a 21:9 i'd love to hear your opinions on it. I believe the gtx 1080 has the new displayport 1.4 which makes me thing new monitors are around the corner. But when the times comes i will still need to make a decision resolution or frame rate or go somewhere in between let me know what you think.

Associate
OP
Do you know what kind of issues unsupported games have and if their are things you can do to work around them. can you for example just run 16:9 2560x1440 with black bars either side and is that a completely horrible experience or is it tolerable?

Soldato
21:9 3440x1440 is the ultimate gaming experience in my opinion. Yes some games are not natively supported but there is usually some sort of work around. I have managed to get 90% of my games to play at that resolution. For the games that absolutely will not, then you will usually have 2560x1440 with black bars at the side. For me, the games that haven't supported it so far are games like Life is Strange, Telltale games & South Park the stick of truth where the extra 'real estate' isn't such big deal anyway.

Personally I wouldn't trade my resolution for 100+ frame rates but everyone has different opinions on this. I suppose if you were used to gaming at 100+ FPS and you had to move down closer to 60FPS you may notice the difference but for me, anything above 40FPS with Freesync/Gsync is a joy to behold.

Man of Honour
As awesome as 21:9 is and I do really like it for single player gaming - I come back time and time again to 2560x1440@120+Hz (with G-Sync) for any serious online gaming - even if 4K @ 100+Hz existed I doubt it will replace it for me personally.

If I had to pick one panel it would be a high speed 2560x1440 panel every time no second thoughts.

Associate
OP
As awesome as 21:9 is and I do really like it for single player gaming - I come back time and time again to 2560x1440@120+Hz (with G-Sync) for any serious online gaming - even if 4K @ 100+Hz existed I doubt it will replace it for me personally.

If I had to pick one panel it would be a high speed 2560x1440 panel every time no second thoughts.

I take it you have a seperate 16:9 monitor? that could be another solution to get a nice high refresh rate monitor for online games and the ones that don't support 21:9 and a 21:9 monitor for everything else. I think That's the route i will probably go i'm a no compromise have your cake and eat it kind of guy haha but that is the beauty of pc gaming the sky is the limit haha

Man of Honour
I have 21:9 (Dell U2913wm) and 16:9 (Dell S2716DG) panels on my desk and have half a dozen others to draw from. I get to play with most new monitors though so fair amount of experience.

Soldato
I've tried a UHD monitor and found I prefer a higher frame rate, anything under 60 fps starts to look laggy and breaks my immersion.

Associate
OP
I have 21:9 (Dell U2913wm) and 16:9 (Dell S2716DG) panels on my desk and have half a dozen others to draw from. I get to play with most new monitors though so fair amount of experience.

That's awesome thanks for sharing your experiences with me i'm already feeling the money guild at the thought of 2 monitors haha i'll sleep easier knowing for sure what to expect. What's your opinion on the Asus ROG SWIFT PG279Q? do you know if it comes in any other sizes other than 27" my asus 4k monitor is 28 and it would be nice to not have to adjust to a different size just a nit pick really haha

Associate
OP
I've tried a UHD monitor and found I prefer a higher frame rate, anything under 60 fps starts to look laggy and breaks my immersion.

Yeah i've never tried anything over 70hz. 45fps is about as low as i will tolerate for single player games 30 is also fine for rts but i generally like to keep things at 60 or above for multiplayer games.

Man of Honour
That's awesome thanks for sharing your experiences with me i'm already feeling the money guild at the thought of 2 monitors haha i'll sleep easier knowing for sure what to expect. What's your opinion on the Asus ROG SWIFT PG279Q? do you know if it comes in any other sizes other than 27" my asus 4k monitor is 28 and it would be nice to not have to adjust to a different size just a nit pick really haha

Not aware of other sizes for the Asus - Dell has started introducing some other sizes (but I think smaller) for their equaivalent of the PG278Q (TN) I wasn't really that blown away by the PG279Q versus the Dell S2716DG (TN) in terms of image quality - once you are sitting straight at it gaming it isn't that hugely different (I've only seen the first version of the PG279Q though - supposedly there is an improved revision).

I have the AOC U2868PQU (28" 4K) - which used to take the place of the 21:9 panel and don't really find too much issue in terms of size swapping between it and the 27" panel.

Associate
OP
Not aware of other sizes for the Asus - Dell has started introducing some other sizes (but I think smaller) for their equaivalent of the PG278Q (TN) I wasn't really that blown away by the PG279Q versus the Dell S2716DG (TN) in terms of image quality - once you are sitting straight at it gaming it isn't that hugely different (I've only seen the first version of the PG279Q though - supposedly there is an improved revision).

I have the AOC U2868PQU (28" 4K) - which used to take the place of the 21:9 panel and don't really find too much issue in terms of size swapping between it and the 27" panel.
That's good to hear. did you try overclocking it?

Associate
OP
I've been doing a bit more research and is it likely their will be new monitors next year? not sure if i should just wait i've also read the PG279Q can be a bit of a lottery with back light bleed i would really like the 165hz over 144hz even though the difference would be marginal i'm guessing

Man of Honour
Haven't had a PG279Q of my own so not tried overclocking (wouldn't want to risk breaking someone else's panel), my PG278Q had no ability to overclock - wouldn't even take 1Hz (none to fussed as anything from 120+Hz is fine for me). Only just got the S2716DG so not tried overclocking it.

Associate
OP
Haven't had a PG279Q of my own so not tried overclocking (wouldn't want to risk breaking someone else's panel), my PG278Q had no ability to overclock - wouldn't even take 1Hz (none to fussed as anything from 120+Hz is fine for me). Only just got the S2716DG so not tried overclocking it.
Quick question a little bit off topic i have my Asus PB287Q overclocked to 74hz 4k,8 bit color and i done the math and that seems to be just over the bandwidth of display port 1.2 but it works. Do you have any idea's as to why that might be?
4IsxY

Back
Top Bottom