Looking for advice - Headphone DAC/AMP related

Associate
Hi chaps,

Got these headphones http://thestatusaudio.com/products/ob1 and at the moment they currently run of the front jack of my PC. Motherboard is a ASUS Hero VII and the onboard sound is Supreme audio 2014.

I was wondering what would be a good amp/dac combo or dac on its own to drive these? I have the Fiio D3 (found in my cable box) and I will use this via optical from the motherboard.

Would I benefit from getting an AMP+DAC or AMP/DAC combo like SMSL M3 or similar?

Thanks

Soldato
Avoid the m3. Ive been down there and its just mushy atleast for me. Check out the new schiit Fiio i think its called. Those headphones wont need much in terms of grunt

Associate
OP
Avoid the m3. Ive been down there and its just mushy atleast for me. Check out the new schiit Fiio i think its called. Those headphones wont need much in terms of grunt

Ah ok, had a bad experience, thanks for the advice

Schiit Fulla 2 (£110) from schiit.eu.com

I like the look of the Schiit (pronounced the same as the naughty word?) stuff. Would the fulla 2 do everything I need? I see people have the magni and modi 2 what would be the difference?

Soldato
Power basically, the Magni 2 puts out more power.

To be fair though, the Modi 2 and Magni 2 especially, use discrete components while the Fulla 2 uses op-amps.

Associate
OP
Power basically, the Magni 2 puts out more power.

To be fair though, the Modi 2 and Magni 2 especially, use discrete components while the Fulla 2 uses op-amps.

And I take it that OP-AMPS are better? Thanks for this, just ordered the Fulla 2

C64

C64

Soldato
Front panel audio connectors can dilute the quality I'd be plugging headphones straight to soundcard for the best sq.

I'd try directly connecting headphones to board before throwing money at an amp.

I'd throw money at a headphone upgrade before amp (don't mean that in a bad way) would just be throwing good money after bad I'd certainly stick to a low budget dac amp like an smsl.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Front panel audio connectors can dilute the quality I'd be plugging headphones straight to soundcard for the best sq.

I'd try directly connecting headphones to board before throwing money at an amp.

I'd throw money at a headphone upgrade before amp (don't mean that in a bad way) would just be throwing good money after bad I'd certainly stick to a low budget dac amp like an smsl.

At the moment the headphones go into the Fiio D3 DAC, then that connects directly to the board via TOSLINK. The sound quality is perfect but it could be a little louder.

Back
Top Bottom