Temps and a lot of heat with 2 gpu's and cpu

Associate
I just set up 2 980's strix with ek gpu waterblocks and 4790k with ek evo cpu block 250 ek res.

Using thermal grizzly kryonaut pea method on cpu and star pattern on gpu's

Temps for both gpu's on gta5 for a hour are hovering around 50c

Temps on cpu across all cores 50c-60c, cpu oc'd at 4.4ghz and core voltage is 1.28v and that is when enabling xmp profile on asus z97 pro gamer mobo.

Idle for gpu's are 30c-36 and Idle for cpu is 40c-45c

Fittings are hot to the touch graphics cards feel red hot and petg is quite warm,heat coming out of radiators is intense whilst playing gta5.

These temps on idle and gaming normal with 2 gpu's ?

Associate
rad size and quantity? some information about your fan system is also helpful. I think it's a bit high for cpu when idle. It could very well be explained by the bad TIM of Haswell/Haswell refresh.

Associate
OP
rad size and quantity? some information about your fan system is also helpful. I think it's a bit high for cpu when idle. It could very well be explained by the bad TIM of Haswell/Haswell refresh.

ek PE cool stream 360 rad with vardar f1-120 1150rpm in push at front of case and PE 240 in pull in roof with vardar f1-120 1150rpm.

My case a fractal design s,coolant is mayhems pastel

Associate
You probably have higher than ideal water temps.

It would be very helpful to know your water temperature, put a thermometer in the res if you don't have a proper sensor.

Sounds like you could do with more airflow through your rads.

Associate
probably you and I share the same experience. The Vardar doesn't give good performance especially at low RPM. I strongly believe that when your cpu's temperature below certain threshold, your fans do not spin too fast (probably below 800rpm), so the hot air got accumulated inside the case making cpu's temp relatively high. When the temp goes beyond, says, 50C the fans surpass 1k RPM, problem solved.

Associate
OP
probably you and I share the same experience. The Vardar doesn't give good performance especially at low RPM. I strongly believe that when your cpu's temperature below certain threshold, your fans do not spin too fast (probably below 800rpm), so the hot air got accumulated inside the case making cpu's temp relatively high. When the temp goes beyond, says, 50C the fans surpass 1k RPM, problem solved.

I would have used my xspc 360 and 240 rx rads,but no chance of fitting them in the fractal s case.

I have my fans auto tuned with asus fan x-pert 3,but not sure if thats a good idea?

Associate
OP
You probably have higher than ideal water temps.

It would be very helpful to know your water temperature, put a thermometer in the res if you don't have a proper sensor.

Sounds like you could do with more airflow through your rads.

as in higher rpm fans? I have varder F4-120ER 2200rpm fans also,not being used.

Associate
I would have used my xspc 360 and 240 rx rads,but no chance of fitting them in the fractal s case.

I have my fans auto tuned with asus fan x-pert 3,but not sure if thats a good idea?

yeah the auto tuned sets all the fans to work at their lowest profile possible. You might want to manually set the speed of your preference (noise, airflow) to achieve your idle target temp.

Soldato
If your fittings and pipes are hot then it sounds like the heat transfer is fine, normally when ya have a badly seated block the water doesnt heat up much and the temps are much worse at load than they are idle.

Try manually setting your fans to 100%, if it cools things down then just set a more aggressive curve on your fan profile.

Man of Honour
Just keep in mind that most tubing is only rated to 60 degree's water temp. Once you hit that threshold the tubing goes soft and you will get leaks. It sound's like you need to get rid of the fan profile and manually set the fan speeds so that the temps don't go above a certain limit. Your cpu idle temp is terrible. Do you have speedstep etc enabled?

Associate
OP
Just keep in mind that most tubing is only rated to 60 degree's water temp. Once you hit that threshold the tubing goes soft and you will get leaks. It sound's like you need to get rid of the fan profile and manually set the fan speeds so that the temps don't go above a certain limit. Your cpu idle temp is terrible. Do you have speedstep etc enabled?

when I had enabled xmp in the asus bios I enabled all core enhancement and I think that's what caused high cpu temps in idle.

I should have selected intel stock operation,since selecting intel stock operation in xmp temps are a lot better now in idle and on my gpu's whilst gaming.

Still getting used to asus bios,always had msi boards in the past.

I have speedstep enabled yeah

Soldato
Load temps seem to be normal. I allow my Titan to get to around 50C under full load which corresponds to less than 40C water temps. GPU blocks are very efficient due to the direct to dye design.

Idle CPU temps seem high but it's plausible. It might be a combination of your overclock not allowing voltage to drop plus your fan speeds plummeting. If you took the idle temp after gaming it's possible that the coolant is still fairly warm keeping temps high. Plus standard temp issues with devils canyon CPUs. Personally I wouldn't worry about it, idle temps aren't nearly as important as load temps.

Associate
I think your cpuv core is to blame, 1.28v is to high for 4.4ghz, that's the standard turbo boast frequency for a 4790k cpu. Mine will do 4.5ghz 24/7 at 1.18 v core and idles at 24-26c. It hits mid 50's folding at 4.4ghz, the gpu is normally around 47c under full load but can hit 50c on a really warm day.

Soldato
I think your cpuv core is to blame, 1.28v is to high for 4.4ghz, that's the standard turbo boast frequency for a 4790k cpu. Mine will do 4.5ghz 24/7 at 1.18 v core and idles at 24-26c. It hits mid 50's folding at 4.4ghz, the gpu is normally around 47c under full load but can hit 50c on a really warm day.

Not all of us are lucky enough to get a chip which will do 4.4 - 4.5ghz at 1.18v :D

That said my set-up (4.5ghz 1.26v) cpu usually runs around 50c gaming & GPU 40-45c

Associate
Maybe the silicon lottery has not been over kind but take a look in the the 4790 owners thread and the later chips at 1.28v are doing 4.6ghz.
Perhaps it's just bad luck but I'd still try backing the vcore down a bit.

Like your water cooled build by the way ;)

Man of Honour
He is not the op and does not have a 4790k. He has a 4770k and just like my 4670k they need more voltage than Haswell refresh/Devils Canyon cpu's. I need 1.265v vcore for 4.4ghz. Go higher than that and you need silly volts to stay stable.

Back
Top Bottom