Unifi UAP AC Pro

• Thread starter Deleted member 138126
  • Start date

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

In case anyone is interested...

I have just recently installed 2 x UBNT Unifi UAP AC Pro (the latest generation round ones) at home, and I am over the moon with them. Rock solid so far, fantastic coverage. I was initially planning to get them professionally installed on the ceiling of the ground and 1st floors, but running them on top of a surface (one on the ground floor, one on the 2nd floor), has given me amazing coverage in my 3 storey house, so I don't think I'm going to bother with the expense of running the cabling for mounting them properly on the ceiling.

I haven't tested throughput from a single client, but I don't care about that. I want something that will take everything I throw at it, be super stable, and basically not break a sweat. So far, the UAP AC Pro does that in spades.

Highly recommended.

Soldato
From experience i'd have thought you'd have got away with just one at the top of the property covering all floors below.

Caporegime
Leaky feeder is dead outside of very specific use cases. Wave 2 AC makes use of multi-user MIMO and transmit beamforming which are not compatible with leaky feeder.

Soldato
I've been hovering over buying the 3 pack. I have a snooker room in the garden and could do with wifi coverage when in there, And 3 floor victorian/edwardian detached house.

so would a 2 pack do with decent router on ground floor and AC pro on middle floor

Caporegime
If you put in UniFi then turn off the APs in other devices, it's much nicer to have everything connected via Wi-Fi available in a single dashboard with centralised logging.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

OP
I've been hovering over buying the 3 pack. I have a snooker room in the garden and could do with wifi coverage when in there, And 3 floor victorian/edwardian detached house.

so would a 2 pack do with decent router on ground floor and AC pro on middle floor
Based on my experience, I would start low, i.e. get 2 and see how it goes. As stated above, I would disable all other Wifi to enjoy the benefit of centralised management and logging.

Don
I have this same model, love it. FULL signal throughout the house.

In work we have a 200+ UAP install. Ran the latest update on them today. Watching them update themselves one by one is utterly satisfying :p

Soldato
Pulled the trigger. Just the one for now. Games room needs decorating and new electrics so will buy another when ready.

Best get the cable in now

Soldato
To anyone buying them, make sure you're buying the new circle model, and not the older square type.

I went for this one
Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO UniFi AC1750 Indoor/Outdoor Simultaneous Dual-Band WiFi PoE Access Point w/ 3-Year Hosted Cloud Controller Service (1750Mbps AC

Soldato
Mains only for the injectors, or buy a suitable POE switch.

The injector can be located at the switch or AP end (or even the middle) of the cable run.

Soldato
Mains only for the injectors, or buy a suitable POE switch.

The injector can be located at the switch or AP end (or even the middle) of the cable run.

Be careful about the PoE switch, Ubiquiti have a history of using different standards which can cause issues.

Soldato
Be careful about the PoE switch, Ubiquiti have a history of using different standards which can cause issues.

The UAP-AC-PRO uses standard PoE so you can power them from a PoE switch.

The UAP-AC-LITE and UAP-AC-LR use 24v passive PoE. You can get an adapter that will let you power them from a PoE switch but the adapter doesn't have a gigabit ethernet interface on it which is a bit naff.

Associate
Is this good for business use as well?

Yes and no.

Cost is good, no licensing or controller hardware requirements, most features you would want.

There are downsides though, essentially no support, long RMA times if they do break (although reliability is good with the ones I've used).

It's not quite enterprise wireless, some standard features of such are not implemented, or on the "accepted but not implemented" list for many years. RADIUS assigned vlans has only just made it to alpha for some hardware after 2.5 years since feature acceptance.

Old hardware revisions that have features that don't work properly are quietly dropped.

New hardware launches with features listed that are not available or still in development, or may never work (UAP AC with zero hand off, band steering on the AC Pro etc)

They are a good compromise of cost/features/managed* wireless solution. Just try not to get burned by a bad HW revision or Ubiquiti product ADHD.

*managed in the sense of it ssh's to all the devices or they to it to get a config. Not managed in "controlling your wireless traffic" sense.

Back
Top Bottom