• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
If I was on SLI 780ti's ill be holding off for pascal. I upgraded from a couple of poor clocking 780 non ti to average clocking 980ti sli (1450mhz range) and I say it was a good upgrade as a single OCed 980ti was not far off my old 780 SLI setup.

That and the 980ti landed when I was playing the witcher 3 which I was looking forward to for so long and wanted to play it maxed out at 1440p with a solid 60fps, something I couldn't do with my 780's or a single 980ti without drops.

Its likely I will wait untill there's full fat GP100 card if a GP104 card is only 20% or so faster than a 980ti etc but we shall see

As much as this is about graphics cards, I can't get passed your 5820k being at 4.1 - don't you feel like it should be ran at 4.0 or 4.2. There's something disturbing about a 4.1 clock speed. It's like setting an alarm at xx:57 instead of 56 or 58 :D

Caporegime
Pascal TI should be 75-100% faster than 980 TI, possibly more in DX12 if they fix slow context switching.

We're not expecting the Ti monster for a while tho, not even in 2016 if you believe some people.

The question was how the 980ti would fit in to the new line-up - topping out with GP104 - if it's not being phased out.

Associate
I'll eat my hat if that's the case.

Even on the last die shrink we didn't see a 75% improvement on the like for like card of that generation did we?

I'm not sure I mean if you want to compare the GTX 460 1gb a full gp104 vs gk104 you see well over a 100% gain, now compare it to the full fledged gf114 still a mid range chip and you get at least around a 75% improvement

Now the big boys look at the 580 to the 780 Ti full fledged gf110 vs gk110 again there is always at least a 50% performance increase, not to mention we're now getting HBM more transistors, a much smaller die, I don't think personally it's out of the question for the Pascal gp100 to be around 50+% faster than current 980 Ti and Titan X

Associate
We're not expecting the Ti monster for a while tho, not even in 2016 if you believe some people.

The question was how the 980ti would fit in to the new line-up - topping out with GP104 - if it's not being phased out.

I'm hoping it'll be at least how it was with the 680>580.... there was a decent amount of performance difference between the two and with reduced power/temps it's a win... not that the 980 Ti runs hot but a cooler card and quieter one at that and one that draws less power whilst being at least 20-25% faster priced reasonably £450-£475 would be a good card in my eyes

Caporegime
I'm hoping it'll be at least how it was with the 680>580.... there was a decent amount of performance difference between the two and with reduced power/temps it's a win... not that the 980 Ti runs hot but a cooler card and quieter one at that and one that draws less power whilst being at least 20-25% faster priced reasonably £450-£475 would be a good card in my eyes

Right, so the 980ti wouldn't fit in with the new line up at all. It wouldn't be able to coexist, it would be outright replaced. Because unless it got a massive price drop, you'd be mad to buy it.

And so why would nV keep selling them after GP104 releases...

Orangey was suggesting a scenario where the 980ti was still being sold alongside the Pascal cards... I can't see it.

Associate
It's like what happened once the 980 was released even though not by much the 980 was faster than the £550 780 Ti whilst costing £100 less this made the 780 Ti irrelevant and then came the price reduction on the card. I can't see the 980 Ti being sold on the side of Pascal, doesn't make sense Nvidia will want everyone to jump the wagon to pascal so will start to phase out maxwell.

Soldato
I'm not really sure nVidia are too fussed about making their own current gen cards redundant, it would not be the first time they have done it. Look at the 980Ti versus Titan X, outside of very specific use case scenarios it completely gutted Titan for gaming.

I think Pascal will offer enough to entice sales even if the 980Ti remains 'competitive'.

I see it going 1 of 2 ways.

1 - We get something like has already been suggested. An improvement over a 980Ti but not by massive amounts. Smaller process, lower power, heat . Something which will sell but is the first 'toe in the water' with the new Pascal process. Early adopters will sell up for the benefits but anyone with a 980Ti would likely wait it out for new cards.

2 - We get some beast of a card which is going to destroy everything in the current gen high end. It will fly off the shelves, those with high end current gen will migrate to it because of the performance it offers and will continue to offer even with new Ti releases. But current gen will continue to offer mid/mid-high solutions.

I think 1 is more likely, looking at times gone past. But, it's been a long time and strategy 2 could make sense with the right halo product.

Either way, I still think the 980Ti has a lot of shelf life left in it. It seems unlikely Pascal is going to offer an every person solution on launch.

Soldato
While I would love number 2 to be correct, I'm convinced it's more likely to be option 1. Even prices of the 980 are still holding pretty high, so although Pascal is [obviously] going to beat the 980Ti, I only foresee it being to the extent that it will initiate a long awaited price drop on the cards below, paving the way for Pascal to take the 980Ti crown, and the promise of Uber Pascal further down the line. I just don't see Nvidia blowing their entire load on initial release... they WILL hold quite a lot back, otherwise it renders the 970/980 and 980Ti redundant! That's A LOT of silicon to just right off, and I just can't see them doing this, it would be rather crazy from a business perspective. Releasing a super powerful card so soon would either make the cards totally undesirable, or necessitate such a large price drop that they'd be virtually giving them away. Could they afford to do this? Maybe. Would they do it? I really don't see it.

Plus, I think someone else has already rightly said that next gen cards need to be 12GB to make them REALLY worthy of that title given how demanding AAA games are becoming, especially with the 4K 120Hz monitors that aren't far away now with DP 1.3. I don't think we'll be seeing that straight out the gate though, probably only 8GB at launch. That's enough for some of course, and no doubt will be heralded as the ultimate solution by many Nvidia die-hards, but they'll soon dangle that carrot of 12GB... and more...!

Interesting times ahead anyway...

Last edited:
Soldato
As much as this is about graphics cards, I can't get passed your 5820k being at 4.1 - don't you feel like it should be ran at 4.0 or 4.2. There's something disturbing about a 4.1 clock speed. It's like setting an alarm at xx:57 instead of 56 or 58 :D

lol its lower than that atm, that OC was on a 1:1 Ratio, now that I have some 3200mhz ram I'm playing around with the ratios which is hard work, there abit flakey on my board and my CPU is not the best (requires a stupid amount of volts to get to the 4.3/4.4 range. Also runs abit hot under my custom warter :(

When it comes to the CPU silicon lottery i lose 9 out of 10 times, apart from one Opteron 165 that did 3.2ghz off the bat. Currently at 3.85ghz/127blk (1.25 divider/ ram at 2802mhz

Associate
You would think, but nvidia did the same thing moving from 700 series to 900 series. Prices were still high for 700 series even right before Maxwell hit.
Well there's nothing to compete with it yet as pascal has no official launch date. Why cut prices until there's at least a set date? They will go for max profit and then drop prices heavuly later if they need to shift stock. Both generate more market share than simply cutting price modestly while people suspect you're doing it because pascal could be huge.

Either way it's not just Nvidia cards, 980ti could be getting sold at a high price to get as much profit as possible before polaris and then they simply chomp the fat away and reduce the inflated prices when polaris is released to blow the minds of people who are easily conned into thinking moving it to fair pricing is a massive saving (great for people wanting to go sli but I still suspect it'll not go far down on the original prices).

Caporegime
The GP104, 1080 (or whatever it is called) will beat the 980Ti and probably be priced around £400-£450 and the remaining 980Ti stock will be sold off cheap in some Gibbo "ZOMG SALE" threads.. That is literally pretty much what always happens.

Soldato
The GP104, 1080 (or whatever it is called) will beat the 980Ti and probably be priced around £400-£450 and the remaining 980Ti stock will be sold off cheap in some Gibbo "ZOMG SALE" threads.. That is literally pretty much what always happens.

This^

I remember this the last few times he did. Get your credit cards out lads:)

Caporegime
Four Different Nvidia Pascal Graphics Cards Spotted

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-graphics-cards-spotted/

I'd been wondering, over the last couple months or so, why I was increasingly struggling to do basic math problems, or remember words longer than two syllables.

Then I remembered I had been reading the comments on wccf articles. Now it all makes sense. It's a train-wreck you can't drag your eyes away from, even as all your brain cells mutiny and desert.

Back
Top Bottom