Unifi UAP AC Pro

• Thread starter Deleted member 138126
  • Start date
Don
As for router.. I use a Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite, with a 24 port switch connected to it.

Connects to the Openreach modem. Even on ethernet, the internet was noticeably quicker on the ERL over my Asus DSL-N55U.

Associate
I'm looking to get the LR model, would it give good coverage mounted on the hall ceiling (middle of the house) or should it be at the top of the house?

Does it make any difference if it's mounted vertically instead off horizontally?

Caporegime
The APs are all being replaced with Unifi AC Pro units which cost bugger all so I can keep a few on site as spares.

I do have to question the decision to purchase Meraki in the first place when I see these plans to replace them with UniFi. If you don't use the majority of the Meraki feature set then yes they will look pricey.

Soldato
I do have to question the decision to purchase Meraki in the first place when I see these plans to replace them with UniFi. If you don't use the majority of the Meraki feature set then yes they will look pricey.

We didn't purchase them, we get them all free from Meraki as they wanted to get Meraki throughout the business.

As for replacing them with UniFi stuff I agree it may seem a bit odd but the UniFi kit gives us a better wifi signal around the offices and they cost peanuts so even the bean counters will be happy.

The Meraki MDM stuff is very good I have to say so that'll need to be replaced. I've got a couple of the guys looking into alternatives at the moment.

Soldato
I'm looking to get the LR model, would it give good coverage mounted on the hall ceiling (middle of the house) or should it be at the top of the house?

Does it make any difference if it's mounted vertically instead off horizontally?

Try it and see? I temporarily had mine resting on it's side in the lounge and didn't notice any difference when I temporarily had it on the ceiling above the front door.

Command strips make a very good temporary mounting.

Caporegime
We didn't purchase them, we get them all free from Meraki as they wanted to get Meraki throughout the business.

As for replacing them with UniFi stuff I agree it may seem a bit odd but the UniFi kit gives us a better wifi signal around the offices and they cost peanuts so even the bean counters will be happy.

The Meraki MDM stuff is very good I have to say so that'll need to be replaced. I've got a couple of the guys looking into alternatives at the moment.

You don't need a Meraki network to use their MDM.

Soldato
Well that was easy...

My Ubiquiti pro turned up this PM. 10 mins and its all working. VM superhub I couldn't get wifi the other side of the house. Now I get full strength on the 2nd floor and half strength 3/4 way down the garden

Must say I'm impressed. Just got to turn the other routers off now and start inputting 12 character passwords to all my devices.....Again

Soldato
Must say I'm impressed. Just got to turn the other routers off now and start inputting 12 character passwords to all my devices.....Again

Why can't you just copy the settings from the old router(s) to the UniFi APs? Set it there and you don't have to touch the client devices.

Soldato
I have a VM Superhub2 and a Netgear WNR4000 router.

I want to de clutter as much as possible so want rid of the netgear and turn the VMSH into modem mode.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

OP
If the SSID and password match the old one, everything will just work.

Really glad you've had a great experience. I love my Unifis.

Soldato
If it's in modem mode then it's a modem! You'll be able to have exactly one client device attached.

If you're wanting to use APs such as the UniFi then leave the SH configured as a router and just turn its wireless off.

Edit: With the SH in modem mode you probably haven't got any kind of firewall either which is always nice to have.

Last edited:
Soldato
If it's in modem mode then it's a modem! You'll be able to have exactly one client device attached.

If you're wanting to use APs such as the UniFi then leave the SH configured as a router and just turn its wireless off.

Thanks I'll look at it properly. Thinking about how I had it in a previous house was in modem mode but with an 8 port switch.

Soldato
Thanks I'll look at it properly. Thinking about how I had it in a previous house was in modem mode but with an 8 port switch.

You didn't (or you did, and it didn't work properly).

In modem mode you only have a single IP to work with. Adding a switch doesn't add any more.

If you plug a router in ('router' in the loosest sense) NAT provides you with a range of local IPs for your various devices to use. NAT also effectively isolates the devices on the LAN from the rest of the world.

Soldato
I had the Superhub in modem mode and plugged in the netgear to use as a router. I'm sure I also had the switch plugged into to VMSH but it may have been in the Netgear. (it was over 12 months ago)

So tomorrows job. Ditch the Netgear. Turn off Wireless in the superhub and change passwords on my gadgets.

Does that sound correct?

Soldato
Ditch the Netgear.

Put the SH back into its full router mode and disable the wireless.

Configure the UniFi so it's using the same wireless settings as the Netgear. If the settings are the same you won't need to reconfigure the client devices.

Soldato
Ditch the Netgear.

Put the SH back into its full router mode and disable the wireless.

Configure the UniFi so it's using the same wireless settings as the Netgear. If the settings are the same you won't need to reconfigure the client devices.

Well that was a ball ache. Nothing to do with what you suggested but trying to add Sonos back onto the system didn't go as planned.

I had obviously clicked public network when first connecting to the AP. So it wouldn't let me speak to the sonos network.

All set up now though and running as it should.:D

Back
Top Bottom