when will we get bigger than 34" monitors?

Associate
I have a 34 superwide. I had 30 inch dell 2560x1600 for like 7 years before something better came out. Why is the monitor market so slow? Are there any monitors on horizon bigger than 34 inch with decent resolution?

Im aware of the phillips 40 inch 4k one

Associate
My guess would be when single GPUs can reliably run 4k and the next fad gets closer, 8k or whatever they will call it.

Only so much you can stretch 1080/1440p before it starts looking crappy.

Soldato
i don't think we'll ever see a need for bigger pc use monitors, after around 30" you have to start moving your head to see it all...or move further back, the market for such screens would be tiny; More general purpose stuff will probably move onto giant smart tvs.

Associate
I cant see the argument for larger monitors surly unless you sit miles away from your desk, your gonna give yourself some series neck problems later in life.

Caporegime
I'm thinking 2 years for the 40" 5120 res UW's to come out, and 3 years or so for the proper gaming/gsync ones to come@144Hz+ (DP 1.3 standard should allow)

I'll be jumping in within 3 years (or so) ;)

Soldato
I find it perfectly comfortable to use a 32" screen from a distance of around 70cm from the eyes. This size is superb for the UHD resolution in my experience. I don't own such a screen, but I've reviewed several and never have any ergonomic concerns. All of the screens I've tested of this size feature fully adjustable stands. There is no need to move your head excessively given that the eyes have extraocular muscles, allowing them to move even when the head is stationary. ;) At much larger sizes (40" and who knows, maybe beyond) I think the ideal viewing distance would be a little further back. From memory I found the Philips BDM4065UC fine to use from around 70-80cm, although didn't find the included stand ideal from an ergonomic perspective.

Last edited:
Associate
I never understand these comments on the screens so big you have to move you head around???

Do you think a 32" tv in the lounge is big enough and a 60" tv would force you to sit in the neighbors apartment to watch it???? Ridiculous!

I sit at a desk like a normal PC user with both a 40" and a 34" UW and never have this problem people seem to always jump upon about moving your head around...

It's poppycock! Your vision is pleasingly immersed in the visual real-estate and you move your eyes... You know, the same as I do with the 27" screen I use...

Geeze-louise... Have you naysayers even tried a larger screen???

Soldato
I never understand these comments on the screens so big you have to move you head around???

Do you think a 32" tv in the lounge is big enough and a 60" tv would force you to sit in the neighbors apartment to watch it???? Ridiculous!

I sit at a desk like a normal PC user with both a 40" and a 34" UW and never have this problem people seem to always jump upon about moving your head around...

It's poppycock! Your vision is pleasingly immersed in the visual real-estate and you move your eyes... You know, the same as I do with the 27" screen I use...

Geeze-louise... Have you naysayers even tried a larger screen???

Unless you are some kind of chameleon hybrid then you can no way see all that screen real estate without moving your head.

Soldato
Unless you are some kind of chameleon hybrid then you can no way see all that screen real estate without moving your head.

I'm using a 34inch ultrawide and there's plenty of room in my vision for more screen without moving my head (I'm maybe 50cm away from the screen). Though I wouldn't want more than 37" UW, I can see that being more stressful, but there's definitely room in your vision for it :p

Soldato
I'm using a 34inch ultrawide and there's plenty of room in my vision for more screen without moving my head (I'm maybe 50cm away from the screen). Though I wouldn't want more than 37" UW, I can see that being more stressful, but there's definitely room in your vision for it :p

But he said he uses a 40 and 34.

Associate

It's called peripheral vision...
You may be surprised to hear that I can see also the desk and walls surrounding the screen at the same time also... You know... Like normal humans do! :D

Steer clear of VR then... Your head may wear completely off its shoulders! :eek:

Soldato
But he said he uses a 40 and 34.

I don't think he meant he can look at both simultaneously.... or at least I hope he didn't else we'll have to burn him at the stake for being a witch. Though you can easily fit both within the confines of your eyes without the need to move your head, definitely be a strain on the eyes mind. Remember, we have like 210 degrees of vision :p

Caporegime
40" user here. I've very quickly gotten used to the size.

Immersive in movies and games, huge real estate for desktop use. I can move my eyes only and see the whole screen. I also move my head slightly sometimes...I think humans are OK with moving their heads last time I checked.

Soldato
I have 32" and would happily go up to 40, most work I do is CAD work and office docs, often huge spreadsheets. Games at 40" might be another thing but I've little interest in that as it's secondary.

Back
Top Bottom