Skylake MSI GT72 - unacceptable lightbleed/flashlighting

Associate
I was looking forward to ording my MSI for xmas but after keeping upto date with this thread I'am not about to spend £2200 on a laptop with a manufacturing problem.

Me too. I was after the exclusive 32gb version. I have searched around other forums and there are similar complaints on these new batches of MSI laptops. I think it is beneficial to hear from others that have had no problems. Perhaps its a small problem but the ones that have it are the only ones that post.

Anyone out there had one of these new MSI Skylake laptops without any bleeding?

Soldato
My G72s came, I find the screen perfectly acceptable.

I can confirm that at 100% brightness with a pure black background the corner (right bottom) of the unit has minor visible bleeding (which is likely due to bezel pinch). Running windows in a darkened room at 100% brightness I can't really see it unless I angle the screen. I also think photo's amplify the effect as I took a couple and they look way worse than my eyes see it, I think it's due to my camera adjusting for low light conditions.

I think briggm has got a way worse fit for his bezel than my panel as the effect is only visible at all on mine in the lower right and even then its nothing to detract from the overall quality.

What I'm less pleased about is that I can't get my product registered with MSI, the reg page asks for a second serial number (which is naughtily only available through a windows exe) and when I run the MSI help desk app and copy the serial (from clipboard) the page still rejects it. UK MSI customer service is closed at the weekend.

All that said I got a gt72s 6QE 265uk with headphones/warranty extension/game for £1700 which seems fair (although it'll prolly drop on black friday and Ill be sick as a parrot) :)

I would hope that MSI would swap out the unit (not repair) for someone with a genuine issue, pleased to say mine is exactly as I'd hoped...

Soldato
I contacted Overclockers about this issue and they've responded by giving me a number for MSI and saying that all warranty claims on these are handled by them. I haven't had a chance to contact MSI yet, but based on Loki's post upthread it sounds like I could be looking at a repair on a new laptop. Ugh.

Ask for a refund you are within your rights to do so.

Soldato
Registration finally worked which is something. I'll be interested in how good OCuk/MSI customer support is with the Original Poster's issues as I like everything about this laptop so far, I hope the companies are up to the quality of the product(s).

One got ya is that the laptop doesn't come with a win10 serial on the bottom like my old acer and toshiba did with win 7, which could make a fresh install interesting in a bad way. Not sure if that is MSI or MS to blame on that one...

Associate
Registration finally worked which is something. I'll be interested in how good OCuk/MSI customer support is with the Original Poster's issues as I like everything about this laptop so far, I hope the companies are up to the quality of the product(s).

One got ya is that the laptop doesn't come with a win10 serial on the bottom like my old acer and toshiba did with win 7, which could make a fresh install interesting in a bad way. Not sure if that is MSI or MS to blame on that one...

I just got the same laptop as you delivered today. How did you get around needing that second number without taking the thing apart to find it?

Soldato
I just got the same laptop as you delivered today. How did you get around needing that second number without taking the thing apart to find it?

The only (as far as I can tell) way to get the serial number is to run MSI Help Desk (in all programs MSI) and read it from the system info tab (or copy and paste it from export system info text file).

Even after I did this, the registration page wasn't working, but I went back to it this evening and it worked, but still needed a gif of my invoice, generally a pita.

Good luck...

Associate
Stewski I believe that the windows key is inbedded in the bios in new laptop's. it was in my father's when I upgraded his hdd to a ssd, reinstalled windows and it activated itself, no issues :)

Soldato
Stewski I believe that the windows key is inbedded in the bios in new laptop's. it was in my father's when I upgraded his hdd to a ssd, reinstalled windows and it activated itself, no issues :)

Thanks for the heads up on this, I might find out soon if I can get my hands on another toshiba nvme 256gb ssd and raid0 it...

Associate
The only (as far as I can tell) way to get the serial number is to run MSI Help Desk (in all programs MSI) and read it from the system info tab (or copy and paste it from export system info text file).

Even after I did this, the registration page wasn't working, but I went back to it this evening and it worked, but still needed a gif of my invoice, generally a pita.

Good luck...

Sounds like I'm going to need it! A bit excessive for getting your warranty registered. Did you register for that and then again for the extra year?

Soldato
Sounds like I'm going to need it! A bit excessive for getting your warranty registered. Did you register for that and then again for the extra year?

First I registered the product which as you say was a little excessive, then there is a button on the right of the registered product listing that lets you apply an extended warranty code. Now the website says I have standard warranty +15 Months. Not entirely clear how long that is...

It's a pain but I got there in the end, hope you sort it too...

Associate
Hi there, new to the community but just had to jump in on this one and while I know it will be the cause of some controversy it really needs to be said...

What on earth are you guys complaining about? Seriously. I recently became the owner of a GT72s and while there is obvious bleed in the corners it is only present during boot/blank screens.

Point being these are blank screens! As in nothing to see! The "issue" in no way impacts your viewing experience. Yes, perhaps it could be seen as a design error but could you quite honestly say the sofa or bed your purchased never had the slightest fray or loose fibre in the material? Never experienced a Windows crash or error pop-up or slowdown? Have you demanded a refund from Microsoft for design flaws in their OS? Or if there's a mechanic in a video game you don't like do you then complain and demand a refund?

Nothing's perfect in life and compared to the Alienware 15" I was using the display is astonishing. That screen never saw bleedthrough and still MSI's manages to be superior.

Also, registering your product is completely optional and only EXTENDS your warranty. Limited warranty still applies regardless and from my understanding you don't NEED to upload your proof of purchase either. That is only requested if you wish to enter the promotional prize draw I believe.

Seriously. Give yourself some time with it. A month maybe. Standard limited warranty still lasts a year I believe so you've got plenty of time to make your mind up. Especially for those who've said they've never gamed on it or done much of anything yet. Give yourself a chance to. Then if you're still unhappy request a refund or replacement. At least you gave it a try.

Associate
j800r, If you buy a new high spec car with a scratch on it, would you be happy even though it doesn't affect the engine and performance? You buy something new and you expect it to be as intended. This is a £1800 plus machine not a £299 one you can get up in one of those high street chains!

Is a screen supposed to bleed? No.
Is the bezel supposed to fit properly so it doesn't affect the screen? Yes.

As for the warranty, it is being sold with an extra year. Why should customers just give up trying to activate it and stick with 2 years or even one?

Last edited:
Soldato
Also, registering your product is completely optional and only EXTENDS your warranty. Limited warranty still applies regardless and from my understanding you don't NEED to upload your proof of purchase either. That is only requested if you wish to enter the promotional prize draw I believe.

I had a years extension which had to be registered within 14 days, my experience with the webform was that proof of purchase was a requirement to register and therefore extend it.

Soldato
I received one of these today and my bleed is hardly noticeable. I have noticed when you push and pull the screen from the top it makes the bleed worse/better. There is a lot of flex in the screen which is not good.

It's a great machine but the build quality is lacking and not a patch on the Asus models. But this is a lot cheaper and the spec you get for the money is fantastic.

Other than that it's a fantastic machine and I'm very happy especially with G Sync it makes a huge difference.

Associate
Received my GT72 6QE-264UK Dominator Po 17.3" FHD IPS G-SYNC, Intel i7-6820HK, NVIDIA GTX 980M 8GB GDDR5 last week. Naturally I was worried by this thread but I didn't need to be. Very slight light bleed in one corner on first turning on but I felt the brightness was too high and turned it down just a little and it was gone!

Absolutely fantastic laptop. It takes on everything with ease and it's silent almost all of the time. I mostly have it on my lap and it's very comfortable and cool.

Fantastic value at it's reduced price and free gifts including extended warranty.

Associate
What on earth are you guys complaining about? Seriously. I recently became the owner of a GT72s and while there is obvious bleed in the corners it is only present during boot/blank screens.

Point being these are blank screens! As in nothing to see! The "issue" in no way impacts your viewing experience. Yes, perhaps it could be seen as a design error but could you quite honestly say the sofa or bed your purchased never had the slightest fray or loose fibre in the material? Never experienced a Windows crash or error pop-up or slowdown? Have you demanded a refund from Microsoft for design flaws in their OS? Or if there's a mechanic in a video game you don't like do you then complain and demand a refund?

Nothing's perfect in life and compared to the Alienware 15" I was using the display is astonishing. That screen never saw bleedthrough and still MSI's manages to be superior.

Well that's false IMHO.
I just bought the same model (GT72S) and I'm literally struggling to find a solution for the bleeding LCD panel (IPS) - that is not even remotely comparable to the previous one I had on Alienware M17x (same resolution @ 120hz).

We are not dealing here with some cheap 400eu notebook, so I demand my LCD to be PERFECT - low, high and no matter what brightness levels. And the one on GT72s is not.
Now the better question is: how much is this a defect on this specific unit or if this is common on ALL GT72s IPS panels.

Back
Top Bottom