What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
The Devils Backbone

I was expecting better coming from Pan's Labyrinth, but still a decent enough watch. Good perormacnes, especially from the children but a predictable enough plot. Interesting the connection to the war (similar to P's L), but I didn't find it especially gripping. Perhaps that had something to do with watching it on a Monday morning :p

6/10

Sorry but I have to post that this film is superb, this review is insanely harsh.
8.5/10

Soldato
Independence Day Resurgence

Oh my it's bad, like very close to just walking out bad.

2/10

Cgi was decent (hence the 2/10), but the script felt like it was written by a school drama group.

Please tell me you didn't go to see that sort of movie expecting a good script. You go those sort of movies to switch your brain off and enjoy the over-the-top action and visual effects.

Soldato
Just watched batman vs superman, decent film but too long, after 2 hours I started to lose interest, no idea why they made it 3 hours long.

It's only the Ultimate Edition that's 3 hours long, and that's only on blu-ray which hasn't been released yet. They've added in the stuff that the studio had taken out in order to get an extra cinema showing per day.

Soldato
It's only the Ultimate Edition that's 3 hours long, and that's only on blu-ray which hasn't been released yet. They've added in the stuff that the studio had taken out in order to get an extra cinema showing per day.

They must have shown that one on my flight then because that was easily approaching 3 hours.

Caporegime
I watched Shame. It's about a sex addict, played by Michael Fassbender, and it's also got Carey Mulligan in it as well as his sister who crashes at his apartment. It's directed by Steve McQueen (of 12 Years a Slave fame, not the great escaper).

I'm not sure what to make of it. It reminded me at times of American Psycho or Requiem For A Dream, though it wasn't as light hearted as either, improbable as that sounds. I thought the bleakness of his life was well portrayed, and Fassbender is excellent, as you would expect. I found the pacing a bit uneven, but hey ho.

Soldato
Just watched batman vs superman, decent film but too long, after 2 hours I started to lose interest, no idea why they made it 3 hours long.

The 2hr mark is when the fighting starts :D

Anyway, I found the extra half hour does fill in a lot of gaps - particularly regarding the Africa incident and Superman's growing beef with the Bat amongst other things.
It also gives a little more insight into Lex' manipulation of the two, if you look for it.

Little things like the short scene after the bombing also make a big difference IMO.

Does it make the film a LOT better? No, but it's definitely an improvement, even if the whole Martha thing is still retarded and WW needed more development.

Apart from linking them to Lexcorp, I still have no idea what was so significant about the bullets though... Unless that was it.

Caporegime
It did make a lot more sense. There were so many scenes that shouldn't have been cut, and then several that should have been but weren't. Still too long, but more satisfying for the extra scenes. Originally at cinema, 5/10. Now, 6.5/10.

Soldato
I watched Shame. It's about a sex addict, played by Michael Fassbender, and it's also got Carey Mulligan in it as well as his sister who crashes at his apartment. It's directed by Steve McQueen (of 12 Years a Slave fame, not the great escaper).

I'm not sure what to make of it. It reminded me at times of American Psycho or Requiem For A Dream, though it wasn't as light hearted as either, improbable as that sounds. I thought the bleakness of his life was well portrayed, and Fassbender is excellent, as you would expect. I found the pacing a bit uneven, but hey ho.

Not sure I've ever read the words 'Requiem for a Dream' and 'light hearted' in the same sentence before....anyway, I've had shame on my watch list for a while and as Requiem is one of my favourite films, if you're saying this is bleaker, i'll have to give it a watch :D

Recently :

Independence Day : Resurgence 5/10

Yea, it was rubbish, not a patch on the original. I don't think it deserves the scores of 1 and 2, it was unoffensive, just cliché tripe full of unoriginal cheese and not done very well.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies 7/10

Enjoyable skit on P&P :) Quite a British cast, though Matt Smith annoyed the hell out of me, couldn't stand his character

Soldato
Jurassic World - 7.5/10.

I actually rather enjoyed it and preferred it to all the others bar the original.

Bryce Dallas Howard was rather nice looking, even when running away from dinosaurs in heels, but Chris Pratt was pretty poor when acting with the CGI raptors I thought. Surprising considering he did pretty well with a racoon and a tree and all sorts in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Associate
Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition

Did not realise it's nearly 3hrs long being the extended version (which is apparently much better than the theatre version), but it flew by.

I enjoyed it.

7/10

I'm going to watch that tomorrow night. The extended version too.
Always like a good superman film :) hell i like any superman film

Caporegime
Not sure I've ever read the words 'Requiem for a Dream' and 'light hearted' in the same sentence before....anyway, I've had shame on my watch list for a while and as Requiem is one of my favourite films, if you're saying this is bleaker, i'll have to give it a watch :D

The thing is when you watch Requiem For A Dream so much of it is taken up in the style - the fast editing. It is unsettling because it is unsettled, so to speak. It is about a loss of control in the face of addiction, and so the editing presents things as frantic and chaotic. Now that's great, but it means that there is an element of style over substance. I still think the substance of Requiem is sound, and it is horrible and bleak and all the rest of it, but nevertheless a large chunk of the effect comes from the style. Personally I think it's a bit hard to watch it without being caught up in looking at it from a production point of view, particularly when that is a chief selling point of the film and what everyone tells you about, so then you're watching "the film" rather than watching the film, if you get what I mean.

Shame is calmer, and takes its time over things, and is unsettling in a different way. Maybe it's because it lingers too long on things, where Requiem is always chopping on to the next thing. Michael Fassbender looking miserable during a lengthy threesome scene is heavy going, and it goes on and on. It's inescapable, because he can't escape his addiction.

By the way, the film features many shots of Michael's fassbender, so brace yourself. On the other hand, it also features a naked Carey Mulligan and many other naked women, so it sort of evens out.

Back
Top Bottom