*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Associate
Well damn... Missions still take ages to load and accept :(

I like the look of the passenger missions - I'll have to check them out soon...

But right now... I just don't have the patience to play Elite...

The game full on crashed the first time I tried to load up 2.2. Rebooted the game and found I had a message telling me I'm ranking up in the Federation and the message just says "{{Body, Congratulations ##commandername".

I feel like these sort of basic bugs should have been picked up long ago - It almost feels like I've bought into an Early Access game - Especially with how slow they are to deliver the updates. They're going to have to do something pretty amazing if they want me to splash some cash for the next season of updates. Right now it's disappointment, after disappointment.

/rantover

Like you I haven't had the patience to play for a good while now, which is a shame as a fan of the game.

The bugs and problems still encountered in the game sometimes defy belief. All Frontier seem to be interested in is pumping out more and more content whilst the underlying bugs remain untouched. A lot of die hard fans seem to be able to see straight pass all this and defend Frontier to the hilt, but it's these sort of things that tarnish it for me.

Frontier need to take a breath and seriously look at all the outstanding things that still need to be resolved before they drop more on top and make this task truly impossible for themselves, they're make a rod for there own back the longer they carry on.

Also, isn't there another release for this season due before the end of the year?

If so they haven't left much time for that to be fully "tested" and released let alone tackle any legacy bugs/issues/problems.

I've said it before and stand by it...

If Frontier aren't careful and carry on in the same vain Elite : Dangerous will become known as the game that could have been.

I'm certainly in no rush to download 2.2

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
My guess is that FD hasn't stood up enough additional servers to cope with the increased demand of I'm assuming a LOT of people all trying to download and tryout 2.2. I'll try to log on later today to see if things have improved.

Ref VR performance, apparently they did up the graphics settings, meaning that 1.5 supersampling now is something like the equivalent of 2.0 previously. Crank down your settings in 2.2 and see how you get on.

Personally I had one CTD and slow loading between say jumps. Otherwise it all feels good and I like the changes. Visited 3 of the new engineers. Need some more data for 2 of them. Also outfitted my Conda for some passenger missions. Some of them are worth a fair bit, though being fair there's some big distances involved. I spotted a 29million credit mission, but it meant flying to a spot 6k LY away. I'm guessing that done flat out I could make that in something like 4-5 hours, which on purely a monetary basis becomes a bit questionable, when you could do the same in 3 hours on a Sothis run. For all that, might start doing them anyway as it'll push up my rank in explorer.

Associate
Like you I haven't had the patience to play for a good while now, which is a shame as a fan of the game.

The bugs and problems still encountered in the game sometimes defy belief. All Frontier seem to be interested in is pumping out more and more content whilst the underlying bugs remain untouched. A lot of die hard fans seem to be able to see straight pass all this and defend Frontier to the hilt, but it's these sort of things that tarnish it for me.

Frontier need to take a breath and seriously look at all the outstanding things that still need to be resolved before they drop more on top and make this task truly impossible for themselves, they're make a rod for there own back the longer they carry on.

Also, isn't there another release for this season due before the end of the year?

If so they haven't left much time for that to be fully "tested" and released let alone tackle any legacy bugs/issues/problems.

I've said it before and stand by it...

If Frontier aren't careful and carry on in the same vain Elite : Dangerous will become known as the game that could have been.

I'm certainly in no rush to download 2.2

I pretty much echo these words tbh. I love the game (put in hundreds of hours since pre release etc) but i stopped post 2.1. A patch which yet again failed to deliver, a pure grind fest - with stupid amount of bugs (so not surprised 2.2 is buggy)

Passenger missions don't interest me, its just a different skin for what effectively is cargo missions. And if i'm being honest, there's still not a whole lot to see in Elite, different coloured snooker balls, that's about it.

I'm pretty sure there's 2.3 and 2.4 to do this year, but i'm guessing these will easily be pushed back now.

Caporegime
Right then 2.2

Nice idea, but the mission board loading timeout is still there and worse than ever.

This effectively stops me ranking up in the Empire totally. Tried for 15 minutes to load the mission board - FINALLY it load and I realised I had to sell some flipping commodoties to accept a mission.

Did that and then it took another 5 minutes to load the mission board again. ARRGGHHH

So tonight played for 1 hour. managed to pass and hand in 3 missions for a total 2% increase in my Count rank.

That combined with a dramatic decrease in data delivery missions at HIP 10716, SHU Babassi and Aditi makes it look like I might as well give up on ever making duke.

I'm royally frustrated by all of this. To be honest I would rather have 2.0 back. The missions worked and ranking was actually possible.

Any advice would be amazing.....

No help to you bud and apologies for that but the missions board loads in within 5-10 seconds for me. Have you sent them a bug report? I hope it gets sorted, as you are not alone in this either.

Associate
has anyone tried rank progression with passengers yet, I had a quick look last night and noticed a lot of passenger missions, so I was wandering if these are any good for ranking with empire, if so I may just get a beluga.

Caporegime
has anyone tried rank progression with passengers yet, I had a quick look last night and noticed a lot of passenger missions, so I was wandering if these are any good for ranking with empire, if so I may just get a beluga.

I didn't notice if it helped much but will be doing them today, so will let you know.

Associate
All the features (passengers) & tweaks (such as the new info bar warning if your goods are illegal in a system) are excellent imho but some of the bugs are just silly (version number being left in & right click to UI back not always working).

However, I have to echo the above concerns over the server problems. For me not only was the Mission Board coming up blank but also the Passenger Lounge & Commodities Market. It seems Frontier's 60(?) servers just can't anymore with demand during peak periods and they need to buy some more but I have no idea how easy this is only that the result for those playing can be extremely frustrating.

Caporegime
Yer, I have noticed over the last couple of weeks that people are returning to ED and the servers get busy and just can't cope. Not something they should really skimp out on and hopefully they are not but it does lag badly when there is quite a few on.

And the 2.2 info is annoying and a massive oversight. But generally I am pleased as punch with it. Not tried the ships launched fighters yet and in no rush to do so but overall, I am pleased with the updates and a lot of work has clearly gone into it. They will fix the bugs as well (fingers crossed).

Associate
Not played this since beta, just tried to download it from the store got around 10% in and the download speed dropped to around 0.08mb/s and a predicted tine of 3 days to download :s

Haven't bought the Horizons xpac yet but noticed on the store they had "Horizons season pass" listed as well what exactly does this offer?

Soldato
I think the mission lag is probably to do with the persistence of missions across all three modes now to stop people stacking them quite so easily. I guess this puts a fair bit more load on the servers.

As for download speeds, yeah mine crawled in last night - to be expected though after a major update.

Soldato
I think the mission lag is probably to do with the persistence of missions across all three modes now to stop people stacking them quite so easily. I guess this puts a fair bit more load on the servers.

As for download speeds, yeah mine crawled in last night - to be expected though after a major update.

Noooo.... Have they taken away the ability to mission stack?

That was my only hope of getting a Cutter due to time limitations on when i can get on :(

Soldato
Quite enjoying the neutron star FSD overcharge. I get a 132ly jump range. I guess I could hop from one to another. Stopping off at a nearby scoopable star. Also, scanning them, making some credits whilst exploring.

Soldato
Well that's just ****ing retarded! I've just spent the last hour or so killing wanted criminals in a resource site. I always wait for the scanner to show if they're wanted or not before engaging so as not to attract any bounties. Anyway, there I was sitting right on the tail of a wanted FDL stripping his shields with my beam lasers when some dick of a Federal Security Service in a Viper decided to fly right through my beams at about 20m distance.

Cue me losing just over 2 million in bounties because I was gang-raped by all his friends before I could lose mass lock and jump out. Why the hell should I lose out due to some poor AI programming?

Associate
Yep, have a 1080.
Settings are VR High and Supersampling set to 2.5.
Yesterday it was butter smooth.
Today, after the patch, it's unplayable. Don't think it is actually lag, it's like there are two images being rendered and one is a fraction of a second behind the other so you get flickering.

I suspect they have introduced a bug. Hopefully be fixed soon...

Edit: Dropping Supersampling down to 1 improves it a lot but text is now unreadable. Still got a bit of juddering when approaching a station.
Will be leaving it for now until it's fixed or someone magics up a work around.

The new "HMD Quality" setting appears to configure the HMD supersampling which in 2.1 could only be configured by

1. Vive = steamvr.settings file in Steam Config folder
  2. Rift = Oculus Debug Tool

I've found the best settings on both the Vive and Rift are to set the in-game supersampling to 0.65 and then setting HMD Quality to 2.0.

Soldato
Well that's just ****ing retarded! I've just spent the last hour or so killing wanted criminals in a resource site. I always wait for the scanner to show if they're wanted or not before engaging so as not to attract any bounties. Anyway, there I was sitting right on the tail of a wanted FDL stripping his shields with my beam lasers when some dick of a Federal Security Service in a Viper decided to fly right through my beams at about 20m distance.

Cue me losing just over 2 million in bounties because I was gang-raped by all his friends before I could lose mass lock and jump out. Why the hell should I lose out due to some poor AI programming?

Been an issue for ages...

Associate

I thought they'd changed this, where by any accidental "Friendly Fire" wasn't an issue and didn't result in this. Only if you persisted with it they would turn on you & take action?

Back
Top Bottom