*** FM17 thread ***

Soldato
Apparently, more physios equals higher prevention of injuries. I didn't know this. I was always under the impression that you only needed one physio in your team; and now you get Sports scientists they manage repetitive injuries better.

Is the physio thing new? I always thought they just helped reduce/estimate recovery time etc.

I got promoted with Newcastle, obviously. I had a slightly better squad than anyone else - I even managed to get Marco Asensio on loan from Real Madrid :o £50m to spend for my first season back in the top flight.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is the physio thing new? I always thought they just helped reduce/estimate recovery time etc.

I got promoted with Newcastle, obviously. I had a slightly better squad than anyone else - I even managed to get Marco Asensio on loan from Real Madrid :o £50m to spend for my first season back in the top flight.

How did Dwight Gayle do? Have a look at that Lasagna, he's around 3m or something and he's got 16 acceleration/17 pace, great for playing up top in a counter system.

Sign Maccarone to make an amazing pasta duo up front :D

I know, what a name, i don't like to pronounce it like that though, it makes me laugh :D so i pronounce it La-sag-na

Caporegime
I was due the sack come January 2018, Middlesbrough just above relegation in championship.
I blasted all my transfer budget pretty much (I had a fair amount as I'd purged my squad over summer following relegation from premiership), made my formation more attacking.

Managed to sign matteo kovaic in the championship LOL.
Got some speed in the final third.
I've 7 games left and 7 points away from playoffs.

If I don't get promoted then the club will basically be ruined lol

Soldato
Ive found a right striker thats good for the Championship, not sure how he'll fair in the prem as i havent been promoted yet, hopefully this season though.

Kevin Lasagna/Carpi/24/~3m to 4m
He's got 18 in 17 for me.

That guy is incredible. Unfortunately, as I've just started my third season in the game, Carpi have got promoted during that time and Lasagna is now worth ~£5m. I also have zero money to spend, but he's definitely on the list should I get promoted.

A Japanese side wouldn't accept my advances for a regen, so I had the opportunity to sign him on a compensation deal. What wasn't indicated in the comp structure was £28k every time he played, up to 50 games... and my budget has to take this into account. So my £2m transfer budget for my first season in the Championship was spoofed on an £800k 18 year old regen.

I wonder if my girlfriend will let me skip her birthday on Thursday night so I can carry on with my FM save...

Soldato
I was due the sack come January 2018, Middlesbrough just above relegation in championship.
I blasted all my transfer budget pretty much (I had a fair amount as I'd purged my squad over summer following relegation from premiership), made my formation more attacking.

Managed to sign matteo kovaic in the championship LOL.
Got some speed in the final third.
I've 7 games left and 7 points away from playoffs.

If I don't get promoted then the club will basically be ruined lol

I like that attitude! If I am going down I'm taking you down with me!

Soldato
It's that good this year.. But I would still take the girlfriend out... ;

There's 11 of us going out for dinner to celebrate, so I'm not even sure if she'd notice I was missing. I've already started leaving work early as I need to make "work calls from home" and it's easier I head back earlier than normal of course :D

Caporegime
I'm just going to smash the 15M into players (I'm trying to expand it as much as possible and get players who are ready to walk into the PL from promotion).

My best striker is only 20, and he racked up like 25 goals in 35 games, with 15 assists. So hopefully he'll be on form next season too.

Soldato
That guy is incredible. Unfortunately, as I've just started my third season in the game, Carpi have got promoted during that time and Lasagna is now worth ~£5m. I also have zero money to spend, but he's definitely on the list should I get promoted.

Yeah, he really is, i've got Leeds 6th in the Championship in my 1st season due to him basically, i'd be struggling mid table otherwise, the team you inherit is not very good tbh. I think i'll get promoted via the play off's, will be interesting to see how that Lasagna does in the prem, that raw pace he has will cause defences problems i think. He reminds me of Suarez a bit, work rate, teamwork, aggression, natural fitness, stamina, determination and that raw pace..just doesn't stop running, absolute nightmare to defend against.

Last edited:
Soldato
How did Dwight Gayle do? Have a look at that Lasagna, he's around 3m or something and he's got 16 acceleration/17 pace, great for playing up top in a counter system.

8 goals in 14 appearances for Gayle. I rotated him, Perez, and Mitrovic for the first half of the season but then he picked up an injury at a bad time - just before the January transfer window, and just as I had been given an extra £14m to spend. I bought Kasper Dolberg from Ajax and Adam Armstrong came back from loan so Gayle didn't get much playing time after that.

Here's Dolberg. Looks a great young player irl and my scouts seem to think he's got plenty of potential:

tIDroMCh.jpg

My team for the start of my first season back in the Premier League. I tinker with the roles for my CM and CF pairings every other match:

Dor2Cgdh.jpg

Berardi got a brace in his debut against Sunderland :cool:

Associate
Absolutely flying with my Villa team. Finished top of the Championship in the first season and currently sitting 3rd in the Premier League coming up to January. I've got one of the leakiest defences in the league though and a small squad so I'm waiting for it to all fall apart.

Any suggestions for a good CB?

Soldato
Had a very weird start to my Championship life at Southend. First few games were very concerning - losing at half time, give the team a rollocking team talk and then we improve defensively second half but barely create a chance. First game lost 1-0, second game 2-0 and at half time in the third game against Reading I'm 2-0 down and have barely mustered three shots on target over the two and a half matches.

Decide to switch it round, take off a few of the more experienced players and put in several youngsters with a bit more pace. Manage to equalise in the last minute to salvage a draw. My squad is really quite thin on paper, a few exciting youngsters but all mainly a good deal less talented than the average Championship player.

I then manage to do a bit of dealing in the transfer market. Bring in Nakhi Wells on a free - I offered him weeks beforehand and he wanted north of £50k a week! A few weeks unemployed and desperate to sign for a team on transfer deadline day, I negotiate him down from £12k to £8k - I stupidly put in a £55k bonus for 5 goals instead of 25 goals. Idiot.

Then I get recommended through my weekly recruitment update - great new feature this - that Bradley Dack is also available on a free. I believe he starts the game as the most expensive League One player. Also he's a natural Shadow Striker - a role I like having in my starting 11. With these guys on board, a functioning defence and good morale, I win 6 out of my next 7 and find myself 3rd in the table after 10 games. Crazy stuff given my awful start to the season.

Injuries have been few and far between - resting the players properly, having the right backroom staff and not being too aggressive during training or matches - and I'm creating a load of opportunities. Split my team into two definite structures - 3 CBs, 2 WBs and 1 DLP all sit, while a B2B midfielder, a SS and 2 STs have a crack up top. Just lost 2-1 to 2nd placed Norwich, but I can feel it all coming together quite nicely. Got a demon 18 year old regen CB joining for £500k in January, and will hopefully improve the midfield a bit, but I'm pushing for play-offs.

Really enjoying this version of the game - first time I've ever watched it in 3D too :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom