Just gave blood again, do you?

You dont seem to have a grasp on what exactly is strained and therefore your speculation is nothing less than paranoia. Your kidneys do nor marrow come under any strain from giving blood. It is very different from lifting weights, there are no physical strains on your body, so your comparison is moot.

Do tell me what I've missed? Do show me proof that your kidneys or marrow do not come under strain. Of course there are physical strains, to say there are not is ridiculous, the argument is in how much.

Man of Honour
Out of interest what other things do you do to prolong your life?

Not giving blood with the idea that doing so would shorten your life by any noticeable amount seems like a strange thing to focus on unless the rest of your lifestyle is already absolutely optimal in increasing lifespan.

Soldato
I'll be honest, no I don't give blood, nor have I ever. I'm self admittedly rather selfish in the fact I don't, I realise that.

I think of my body as a machine and although I know full well It can replace any blood I lose.. I can't overcome the thought of the strain that puts on all the systems required to do so.

I personally want to live for as long as possible, and I believe by putting the constant stress on my body to reproduce higher then normal amounts of blood, this will take it's toll.

Also, I find it hard to believe we're not in a technically advanced world enough to create blood in a lab by now.

I completely understand I come across as a jerk in this post, not my intention, just sharing.

oh my this is good

- you got any links to back up your claim that giving blood puts strain on the body - specifically detrimental strain?

Soldato
Do tell me what I've missed? Do show me proof that your kidneys or marrow do not come under strain. Of course there are physical strains, to say there are not is ridiculous, the argument is in how much.

You want me to prove something does not happen?

Giving blood in the amounts they allow you to, under the limits they set does not put your body under strain. What physical pressures are put on your body?

You dont pull a kidney nor strain marrow.

A quick google and here are some reasons why giving blood is good for your health:

http://www.medicaldaily.com/why-donating-blood-good-your-health-246379

Apart from naming body parts involved, can you name WHY it may damage your health?

Without sounding ridiculous of course.

Dont tell me you believe in vaccines being deadly or that the government puts fluoride in the water to control 9/11 or something like that :D

Man of Honour
almost got in trouble last time due to the number of scratches i have all over my arms, cat & gardening being to blame...

Has anyone donated marrow? I'm thinking about going onto the register next time I go, the new process sounds a load less awkward (although it would somewhat grate having to pay the parking charges through the procedures!)

Man of Honour
almost got in trouble last time due to the number of scratches i have all over my arms, cat & gardening being to blame...

A couple of years ago I was told I had HIV and Nile Fever or something similar but I just stood there laughing because I knew it couldn't be true.
About 30 minutes later they apologised for their error and carried on.
When I told my Manager she made a big deal out of it and contacted the NHS Blood heirarchy.

I made a thread about it - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18643100

Associate
Tried to give blood on Friday, however I was told because I went on holiday to Mexico I may have miliaria and will now not be able to donate until January :( seems slightly ridiculous to me.

Caporegime
Not exactly. My understanding is that the excess blood which is sold is blood which is not suitable for use in hospitals for one reason or another, and is sold purely for research.

What about blood that is in excess of need?

Do we not share or sell it to other health services or do they refuse to touch british blood after our past practices of buying in blood from prisons and BSE

Soldato
Tried to give blood on Friday, however I was told because I went on holiday to Mexico I may have miliaria and will now not be able to donate until January :( seems slightly ridiculous to me.
Why ridiculous? There is a risk in those areas (albeit small), therefore it's best not to subject people in need of blood to those risks (especially when they are likely to be in a vulnerable state). Due to previous issues with contaminated blood products they are very strict with who is allowed to give and when, quite rightly.

Soldato

If you needed 6 apples for your apple pie and saw 10 apples on the ground and 40 hanging on the tree, which would you choose?

As i understand, with the current number of donations, we are not so desperate to risk introducing disease for some blood.

Soldato
9th donation made Tuesday and booked again for the 12/12.

Took a while for the lady to find my vein as my left arm has tattoo's covering the area, always find it funny as they ask before hand what arm I prefer and my reply is always, I'm easy either will do.

Didn't bruise at all this time either, last time i bruised quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom