Asus Motherboard or Gigabyte

Man of Honour
Fan control is suppose to be really good on the Asus boards. The gigabyte fan control from bios is very basic. In mine (z170 gaming itx) it says something like this - 1.25pwm per degree C. And goes up in numbers like 1.25 then 1.50 etc etc. I read that Asus allows you to set a max and min fan speed based on rpm or %. Gigabyte doesn't.

Don't think the fan control on my GB X79 board even works at all heh (other than for the CPU fan and the first system fan) - I use an external fan controller anyhow so I can set them physically.

Associate
Well tbf the board I have is itx so it only has a CPU and sys fan header. I am seriously looking into the latest nzxt hub but adding or changing anything on. My water-cooled itx pc is a complete chore so I'm waiting for a few jobs to build up.

Soldato
Spend a lot of time in the BIOS do you? :D
Every review I read of the Gaming 7 had a bit of a moan about the UEFI implementation, with a common complaint being that the fan control options are well below par. It didn't help that the Gigabyte board is absolutely hideous to look at too. Truly one of the ugliest boards I've ever laid eyes on, but I could have lived with that since I don't have a windowed case anyway.

Minor issues perhaps, but when there's no difference in price between the two there seemed to be really no justification for choosing the slightly inferior option. Others may have chosen differently, as they do each have some features that the other doesn't.

Soldato
This thread caused me to look again at Gigabyte boards for my new build. The Gigabyte board met all my requirements and is £34 cheaper than the equivalent Asus. However I then read multiple reports across various forums that the PWM fan control on Gigabyte boards simply doesn't work correctly for system fans. This one shortcoming pushed me back to Asus again.

Soldato
I've had a few ASUS boards and most have been rock solid. I had one issue with a board though that took the full 28 days return period before just providing a partial refund.

That experience affected my decision when buying a Z170 board and I went for the Gigabyte Gaming 5 in my sig. A lot of the mid to high end boards have similar features once you get into SLI-supporting territory with 8x 8x PCIe lanes. What swung it was the uk based RMA centre, 11 phase VRM and two M2 slots rather than one.

Now OCUK have the agreement with ASUS , I'd consider them again for a future purchase though. The UEFi bios is better on asus boards IMO.

Caporegime
This thread caused me to look again at Gigabyte boards for my new build. The Gigabyte board met all my requirements and is £34 cheaper than the equivalent Asus. However I then read multiple reports across various forums that the PWM fan control on Gigabyte boards simply doesn't work correctly for system fans. This one shortcoming pushed me back to Asus again.

Look here at the last post,

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18730403

Use SIV for fan control.

Associate
8 Pack I don't doubt your knowledge but why is the Asus board better, could you expand a little please.

it would guess it is something about RAM, more specifically, XMP profiles. I have heard various MSI and Gigabyte boards got problem when XMP enable while ASUS and Asrock give excellent bioses for the matter.

Soldato
Features are not the problem with Asus, its the quality control.

I have run Asus for many years and now have dumped them for my Skylake build. The Gigabyte board is about 2-5% slower but it works and its rock solid.

They really stuffed the community over with the X79 Rampage and its not the first time they have gotten a board wrong before.

That said, the company with the best bios right now is Asrock.

Associate
Does quality differ between the manufactures across the different platforms?
Here 8 Pack says Asus yet in his Lan builds its a different brand as he feels that Asrock x99 is the only one doing justice to the higher speed memory modules.
I'm contemplating where to put my micro x99 money, many boards appear to have slow m2 sockets but Asrock and Evga quote 32gbs hence my post asking if 8 Pack could expand his response.

OcUK Staff
it would guess it is something about RAM, more specifically, XMP profiles. I have heard various MSI and Gigabyte boards got problem when XMP enable while ASUS and Asrock give excellent bioses for the matter.

This is some way towards it yes.Not just XMP but general memory compatability even if you tune manually and efficiency too clock for clock.

Associate

dont get me wrong the board is great and you do have options to control fan speed but from what i have read the options are not nearly as great as they are on other branded boards - namely Asus. also my board is not comaptible with speed fan, didnt even know that was possible...

Soldato
the company with the best bios right now is Asrock.

Really? Any chance you could elaborate on that? Would be a really interesting turn because Asrock is a budget outfit. I'd be genuinely pleased to hear that they've matched or overtaken the competition in bios quality.

I'm personally using an Asus ranger VIII. I've had a fairly good experience so far. Fan control is a big win for Asus right now. I've found that new chipsets tend to have teething issues irrespective of the brand. If your board maker is releasing regular updates you should be alright in the end.

Back
Top Bottom