An Upgrade?

Associate
Hi all,

So i built my current system around 2 years ago, and to be honest i have not really been happy with it.

So this is my current system.

MB: Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5
CPU: Intel i7-5820k 3.3GHz 15MB Cach
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2800MHz (4x 4GB)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB (x2 SLI)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro
PSU: Corsair RMX Series RM850x

The above is my current build but it has been tweaked from its original form. previously i had only 1 GPU and that was Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB and the original PSU was Corsair 850W RM850.

The original PSU broke twice and ended up been replaced with the one i currently have now and the reason i upgraded my GPU was my monitor supports 4K but the single GTX 970 could not handle 4K gaming.

But at the moment i am also suffering a couple of glitches and im sure they are been caused by the motherboard. For example, if i leave a usb game-pad plugged it or a usb storage device plugged in when i turn off the computer when i turn it back on it gets stuck in a boot loop.

Occasionally sometime it will simply get stuck on the bios screen until i restart, and sometime will not refuse to boot to a disc or usb all together.

And one last glitch, is with my sound. I use some gaming speakers with a sub. but every time i turn on my computer it picks them up as a headphone and no audio will come out of them. to fix this i have to manual change it from headphones to speakers.

So i have deiced that i would like to go for an upgrade to get better performance in 4K gaming and to rid my self of these glitches. I also would like to have 1 GPU again instead of having 2 in SLI. some of my games had glitches while in SLI and i had to turn it off.

So basically this is what i am thinking of buying.

MB: Asus Maximus VIII Hero
CPU: Intel i7-6700K 4.0GHz 8MB L3 Cache
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 3000MHz (4x 16GB)
GPU: Nvidia Titan X 12GB (Pascal)
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D Full Tower

I will reuse the same CPU cooler,PSU,HDDs and Optical Drive. I have picked a new case so i can have more room to do cable management and also in the future i plan to water cool it.

So for now do you think this would be a good upgrade? should it give me better performance in 4K gaming?

Soldato
Why dont you just swap out the motherboard for a different model ? you have a very good system already :)

Do you own a SSD ?

new case
new motherboard
SSD if you dont already have one.
And overclock that cpu :p

Associate
OP
Why dont you just swap out the motherboard for a different model ? you have a very good system already :)

Do you own a SSD ?

new case
new motherboard
SSD if you dont already have one.
And overclock that cpu :p

yes i have 1 SSD that my OS is installed to its 450GB and then i have 4 HDD that are 4TB each for installing games and other software.

i could just do a swap of the MB but i was not sure if i could get a better performance boot with a new CPU with a higher speed.

Soldato
I would personally stick with the cpu you have the i7-5820k but overclock the sucker to 4.5ghz the 6700k is not worth the upgrade cost :)

Spend the money on a new motherboard and case and see how you get on:p

Associate
OP
also dose anyone know where i can buy a the new Nvidia Titan X 12GB (Pascal). I cant find one for sale anywhere but i can see system that are for sale with them in.

Associate
OP
Going from an i7 5820K to an i7 6700K isn't an upgrade.

Also for the GPU why not wait for the 1080 ti ?

why is the cpu not an upgrade? its a newer generation and its runs at 4.0GHz where my old one runs at 3.3GHz

As for the GPU the 1080ti has not yet been announced and i believe that the new titan x will give me a much better performance over my 980ti's

Soldato
why is the cpu not an upgrade? its a newer generation and its runs at 4.0GHz where my old one runs at 3.3GHz

Because of cores. 6 cores @ 3.3 Ghz (more if you overclock) is better in many games and applications than 4 cores @ 4GHz.

If you want a faster 6 core, have a look at the i7-6850k which also fits your X99 board.

Regarding your boot loop, have you tried different boot settings in your motherboard's BIOS? Also, have you updated your motherboard BIOS? Perhaps check if there's a later version which fixes some of the problems you've been having.

64GB is pointless if your main focus is 4k gaming.

Associate
OP
Because of cores. 6 cores @ 3.3 Ghz (more if you overclock) is better in many games and applications than 4 cores @ 4GHz.

If you want a faster 6 core, have a look at the i7-6850k which also fits your X99 board.

Regarding your boot loop, have you tried different boot settings in your motherboard's BIOS? Also, have you updated your motherboard BIOS? Perhaps check if there's a later version which fixes some of the problems you've been having.

64GB is pointless if your main focus is 4k gaming.

yes my bios is up to date and i have checked all settings, and some of the time when it dose boot loop after a restart it defaults all my bios settings too. So i am very sure the MB is either faulty or not a very good one. So i will defiantly be buying a new MB and a possessor that fits it. So if you could suggest an i7 that fits the new MB i have selected i would take a look at it.

Soldato
yes my bios is up to date and i have checked all settings, and some of the time when it dose boot loop after a restart it defaults all my bios settings too. So i am very sure the MB is either faulty or not a very good one. So i will defiantly be buying a new MB and a possessor that fits it. So if you could suggest an i7 that fits the new MB i have selected i would take a look at it.

Sounds like you have a faulty motherboard then. RMA it if it's still under warranty, or replace if not. If replacing, I would keep the i7-5820k and get a new X99 board though.

If you're looking for an i7 to fit the Asus Maximus VIII Hero, there are only two choices for the Z170 platform, that's the i7-6700 and i7-6700k. All of the other i7 models currently available are for the x99 platform.

Associate
OP
Sounds like you have a faulty motherboard then. RMA it if it's still under warranty, or replace if not. If replacing, I would keep the i7-5820k and get a new X99 board though.

If you're looking for an i7 to fit the Asus Maximus VIII Hero, there are only two choices for the Z170 platform, that's the i7-6700 and i7-6700k. All of the other i7 models currently available are for the x99 platform.

ok so i have done some more research and i will now buy a new x99 MB. Im thinking of the MSI X99A SLI Krait Edition Intel X99.

As for the CPU i may keep the i7-5820K, but i also may buy this one i7-6800K as it has 6 cores and runs slightly faster and its a newer generation. As once i have bulit this new system i will be selling my old components, expect the MB that will be going in the bin.

Soldato
ok so i have done some more research and i will now buy a new x99 MB. Im thinking of the MSI X99A SLI Krait Edition Intel X99.

As for the CPU i may keep the i7-5820K, but i also may buy this one i7-6800K as it has 6 cores and runs slightly faster and its a newer generation. As once i have bulit this new system i will be selling my old components, expect the MB that will be going in the bin.

I would stick with the 5820K if you get a new board.

Regarding the Gigabyte board you should still have some warranty left on it. I would RMA it and then sell it when you get the replacement back.

Associate
agree with everyone else. I still think the 5820k is still great bang for buck, mine is running at 4.4ghz simply by changing the multiplier to 44 and no voltage increase at all.

This cpu will last for a good number of years.

Associate
agree with everyone else. I still think the 5820k is still great bang for buck, mine is running at 4.4ghz simply by changing the multiplier to 44 and no voltage increase at all.

This cpu will last for a good number of years.

Ye, thats not a good idea.if you havn't touched the voltage then its on Auto not stock so it will have boosted the voltage massively to keep up with the clock speed you have given it. I would take a second look at this if i were you.

The 5820k is still a great CPU and not worth changing, it won't be a noticeable upgrade if you overclock the 5820k properly.

Back
Top Bottom