Oculus Rift

Soldato
The rift compatibility tool says that:

My CPU (i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz) is not sufficient
My ASMedia USB3 Host controller has issues with the rift.

My GPU 1070 walks it as does my 16GB ram.

The steam VR test gives my system a 10.9 score.

Will the rift run OK with teh above specs or do I really need to upgrade a perfectly good CPU and get a PCIe USB3 controller ?

Exact same specs as me. The CPU is fine.

But, if you have incompatible ports I would advise you get the Inateck USB 3.0 adapter card. The sensor will work in a USB 2 port but it's so much nicer to use with proper USB 3.0 ports.

Associate
I am considering buying one for simulator games but I am concerned that the resolution isn't high enough at this point.

Does text on screen appear blurry through the headset? Does the OLED of the Oculus Rift offer a significant advantage over the AMOLED of the HTC Vive? Do the godrays subtract from the overall experience?

Associate
Any text I've seen in ED or PCars is readable. God rays are like marmite, you either love them or you hate them. Sometimes both. I'd suggest you have a go on one or both headsets before making a decision. 6-800 quid is a hell of a wad to drop on a pig in a poke.

For some the lower resolution is a small price to pay for being in the game, for others it's totally unacceptable.

Soldato
I am considering buying one for simulator games but I am concerned that the resolution isn't high enough at this point.

Does text on screen appear blurry through the headset? Does the OLED of the Oculus Rift offer a significant advantage over the AMOLED of the HTC Vive? Do the godrays subtract from the overall experience?

Really depends which simulator games.

With the rift, as others have said in some games its readable, in DCS I find larger text easily readable, but some small text on the dials i have to lean in slightly. HUD seems to be perfectly readable now

Soldato
Back serpent! :p

In terms of things I should download, any must have software/games? I've downloaded big screen as that looked cool.

Download sightline, the chair.

Every free demo on the oculus store.

Oh and Back to Dinosaur Island 1 and 2 from steam. you will need to download some files to get it working.

Soldato
It has! I spent a good few hours in it last night. Played a short burst of elite dangerous and the rest in big screen with a niel who also got his yesterday.

Firstly, this is the future. Secondly, I wish the resolution was higher by just a little bit.

Elite dangerous was amazing. There was a point where I wiggled my joystick (ooh err) while watching my in game arm wiggle the joystick, and it actually felt like that was my arm I was looking at. Like 100%. Flying out into space actually felt like I was inside a ship, and space was outside. The depth perception is just perfect. Just mind blowing. Did have a bit of dizziness while flying around in combat in a cobra, but it actually wasn't too bad so I think I'll get used to that.

Big screen beta was also really fun. The sense of presence with each other is quite weird. When you hear someone else join the room and you both look over your shoulder to see who it is. It's just weird, but in a very cool way. This random dude joined and was showing me this game he was playing that was animated in clay.

Big screen was the only time the resolution started to bug me though, because reading text on my virtual screen was pretty difficult, especially as it is scaled to 1440p size. Like if I opened a folder of movies, the file names were a real bugger to read and required a lot of leaning in and squinting no matter how big my screen was and with the supersampling right up. So basically don't expect to spend all day using your pc from inside a virtual desktop because it's just not as comfortable. It is, however, a lot of fun when you aren't reading text. We played a game of Mount your friends together inside it and it was really fun, and actually we spent a good couple hours sitting in various rooms, or in space, just chatting with various randoms and experimenting with it.

I should point out that I had no problems at all reading text in elite and the screen door effect was not distracting at all in game, so it's not a deal breaker and might be more software dependent than I thought it might be.

The other thing I tried was the demo that oculus plays when you first set up, and I am not ashamed to say I was genuinely frightened when the t Rex roared in my face. You just can't shake the feeling of being there despite knowing it's not real. That's how good it is!

So in general, very good, absolute game changer. It will, however, be much better when the resolution gets high enough to make everything sharp so that text reading is more comfortable. That is going to be amazing.

So the verdict: no regrets buying it at all, and I am definitely looking forwards to spending more time with it this weekend! But if you want a perfect experience in terms of sharpness, you'll need to wait a couple years.

Associate
I have dived in and got a rift which all stemd from a samsung vr which blew me away bc i dident think it would have any effect on me , i am blind in one eye and my right eye is ok but not the best i can still see but will more than likley loose the sight in the near future , with what i can see i still experiance the wow factor like all the demos and a few games still amaze me still , i am into my horror stuff but i struggle to finish any of them of as they really freak me out , the games i have are

dirt rally
lucky tails
eve valkyre
adrift
aollo 11
plus most of the demos

are there any other demos like showdown that i maybe of missed as its one of the go to things i show to friends

Soldato
It has! I spent a good few hours in it last night. Played a short burst of elite dangerous and the rest in big screen with a niel who also got his yesterday.

Firstly, this is the future. Secondly, I wish the resolution was higher by just a little bit.

Elite dangerous was amazing. There was a point where I wiggled my joystick (ooh err) while watching my in game arm wiggle the joystick, and it actually felt like that was my arm I was looking at. Like 100%. Flying out into space actually felt like I was inside a ship, and space was outside. The depth perception is just perfect. Just mind blowing. Did have a bit of dizziness while flying around in combat in a cobra, but it actually wasn't too bad so I think I'll get used to that.

Big screen beta was also really fun. The sense of presence with each other is quite weird. When you hear someone else join the room and you both look over your shoulder to see who it is. It's just weird, but in a very cool way. This random dude joined and was showing me this game he was playing that was animated in clay.

Big screen was the only time the resolution started to bug me though, because reading text on my virtual screen was pretty difficult, especially as it is scaled to 1440p size. Like if I opened a folder of movies, the file names were a real bugger to read and required a lot of leaning in and squinting no matter how big my screen was and with the supersampling right up. So basically don't expect to spend all day using your pc from inside a virtual desktop because it's just not as comfortable. It is, however, a lot of fun when you aren't reading text. We played a game of Mount your friends together inside it and it was really fun, and actually we spent a good couple hours sitting in various rooms, or in space, just chatting with various randoms and experimenting with it.

I should point out that I had no problems at all reading text in elite and the screen door effect was not distracting at all in game, so it's not a deal breaker and might be more software dependent than I thought it might be.

The other thing I tried was the demo that oculus plays when you first set up, and I am not ashamed to say I was genuinely frightened when the t Rex roared in my face. You just can't shake the feeling of being there despite knowing it's not real. That's how good it is!

So in general, very good, absolute game changer. It will, however, be much better when the resolution gets high enough to make everything sharp so that text reading is more comfortable. That is going to be amazing.

So the verdict: no regrets buying it at all, and I am definitely looking forwards to spending more time with it this weekend! But if you want a perfect experience in terms of sharpness, you'll need to wait a couple years.

This is why im so unsure as to whether to buy one now or wait for gen 2, i would want good pic quality and clarity like i have with my X34. But i know the immersion must be great.

Back
Top Bottom