How broken is windows update for W7 users?

Soldato
Kronos, Ok sorry you had used the rollup (there is so much discussion on 100's of patches, so I though no one was using it - it is making life easier)

What is the role of WSUS Offline Update ? I took the patch from the catalog put in on a usb stick and was then ready to go - is this 'offline update' itself causing the problem ?

Soldato
Just looked at the documentation for the WSUS Offline Update tool, maybe someone can explain ? but seems like an automated tool where you cannot dictate which updates you want, and the install order;
so compared to Kia's instructions seems risky, against getting the few patches from the MS catalog, putting them on a usb and then manuallly sequencing the install.
(maybe the documentation does it an injustice ?)

Caporegime
all we need in this thread is the simpliest steps to just update windows.

if people know what works best could you please put the steps in simple form of how to make it update with no waffle thanks.

Soldato
I have reinstalled Windows 7 on 3 PC's since Windows 10 came out and it has got steadily worse trying to get the updates. In fact on the third PC after spending over 24 hours trying to update the PC using every tip here and elsewhere I gave up and installed Windows 10.

I do not think there is a definitive way to do this now. This is something Microsoft has engineered in it's relentless push to get us all to move to windows 10.

Soldato
>Dg< what kia said in post #32 plus the roll-up patch worked for me too -
however from the problems folks are having I think these may not be detailed enough
do they seem reasonable to you ? (my suspicion is that burning the media is where some folks have problems)

Soldato
Ok that is the same as Kia's post from a month earlier (they used older *605 not *608) & provides direct links for the patches, but does not discuss the aspect of
- clean install first from the burned sp1 iso
- use of the roll-up patch, rather than the 200 patches loaded, those 200 include telemetry/spyware plus the 10 nagware (I assume that since 10 is no longer easily available that the 10 nagware is de-activated)

Soldato
I was having the same issue, so much so it made updating Windows 7 almost impossible.

I stopped the Windows Update service, installed KB3172605, restarted and updates were displayed after just a few minutes.

Associate
Soldato
Wished i'd found this thread a couple of weeks back.

I had to deploy a couple of Win7 VM's at work and for the life of me i couldn't get them to update. I tried a number of manual updates and offline installers. I did eventually get it to work, so i've now converted the VM to a template for any future use.

But my god did MS make it difficult.

Associate
Back
Top Bottom