BTHome Hub 5 - restarts when data heavy webpage/ youtube is open

Caporegime
The Home Hub 5 is probably broken if that's how it behaves. Have you tried factory defaulting it?

The Home Hub 4 might not work for any number of reasons. What Internet connection do you have?

Soldato
OP
I have BT Infinity 70meg. I think the Homehub 4's are restricted or where for copper adsl? I might be wrong though.

Yep tried factory defaulting.

Soldato
I have BT Infinity 70meg. I think the Homehub 4's are restricted or where for copper adsl? I might be wrong though.

Correct, you can't use a HH4 with Infinity without the OpenReach modem.

Speak to BT, get them to send you a new one. My HH5 Type B has been very reliable, hard to justify spending any money on router really as it works fine.

Associate
Im on my third home hub 5 the first 2 stared dropping connections within months, this ones lasted longer rev b dont know if that makes a difference.

Soldato
OP
They are going to call me back on Tuesday and monitor my line for the next 48 hours. Speedtest today showed 20meg when I am on 60/70 usually. Hasn't dropped so far today. But that could easily change.

Soldato
OP
Still having the same issue - BT are saying its not them, ive replaced all filters and my home powerline plugs - do you think its the router?

Associate
I'm having the same issues today with a HH that is only 3 weeks old so yeah I'd say it's the router. Replaced with a Netgear Nighthawk D7000 that I used with Sky Fibre. Going to monitor this over next few days see how things go.

Soldato
OP
Okay so it seems powerlines arent the issue my laptop works fine on them.

I ran speedtest wholesale bt and it is resetting or dropping connection when it gets to the upload stage. I Guess my onboard realtek ethernet is buggered ?

Soldato
I'm having issues with my HomeHub 5 too! Our Infinity 1 service has been live for 2 weeks, and we sync at full speed. My devices disconnect from it every now and then, and most of the time I need to reboot the hub to reconnect to it! It's happened at least 8 times in the space of two weeks which is proving frustrating!

Last edited:
Associate
Was still having issues yesterday with the Internet randomly going off, rang BT & they said to do a factory reset. If that didn't fix the reboots they would send out a new router. Fingers crossed 24 hours now & OK.

Soldato
OP
I have a couple of ethernet ports dotted around the house, its a new build. but not phone line from what I can see - unless its the same thing

Soldato
It needs to be plugged into the main BT socket. Let us know what the outcome is once you have spoken to the BT engineer. If the problem persists I can try and look into it for you.

Back
Top Bottom