**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Hey guys, My Note 3 is getting a bit tired after all these years and after passing on the Note 7 (various reasons but main one is I still need an IR blaster) I need a replacement! I have noticed that the XiaoMi phones seem to have what I need.

After looking around on GSM Arena I cannot figure out what their flagship is?! Any ideas? Whats the best hardware wise?

Also, I am fairly good with flashing and rooting etc (its basically following instructions right?) is it worth getting these phones and sticking CM on them or sticking with their own OS (MIUI I assume?)

Thanks

Associate
Either the Mi5 or the Redmi Pro will be the flagship. Personally I'd go Mi5 cause it's not ridiculously big (but you're coming off a Note, so yeah) and it runs a Snapdragon SoC so custom software is more likely to exist than it is for the Mediatek phones.

Soldato
The Mi5 looks tempting but for some reason the white version is a lot cheaper than black? Can't stand the bezel within bezel of the white version.....at least that disappears on the black one!

Associate
The Mi5 looks tempting but for some reason the white version is a lot cheaper than black? Can't stand the bezel within bezel of the white version.....at least that disappears on the black one!

I thought that would bother me too but it's only reading your post that has reminded me of it since the first day i got it..

Soldato
Wanting to hit buy on the redmi note 3 pro

seems to tick all the right boxes for me.

only one question, Will it work as should straight out of the box with access to all the apps I currently use?

I have never flashed a phone or installed custom Roms

Soldato
It will work out of the box, just be sure to buy from a seller that has the global rom on it. I haven't flashed mine, I'm using all the apps I've ever needed and more. Yes miui global rom isn't perfect, but I find it just fine for my requirements (and it is of course improving with development).

Associate
Got a few questions if anyone can help please.

Finally got round to ordering from Top One and I've gone for the Redmi 3x, it's got 2gb of ram and 32g storage, I'm sure it'll be fine for me, some questions now.

In the info on the 3x page they state they will "flash the Multi-language ROM and install Google play", is this the global rom and will it receive OTA updates for MIUI? I don't know whether it will come with MIUI 8, GMSArena states it will have 6.0.1 MM and MIUI 7.3.

Any other things I need to do while waiting for DHL? Do I need/want a MI account or isn't it worth bothering with?

Associate
Nope, that'll mostly likely be the Xiaomi.eu ROM. Whether that's stable or developer ROM depends but I don't think you're going to get OTA updates?

Soldato
It might come with the genuine China ROM as there is no global one yet, they usually flash the Google package you can download, it works fine but if you get an update it will wipe it again so you just run it again to re install, i will post a link when I am back on my PC.

Associate
Nope, that'll mostly likely be the Xiaomi.eu ROM. Whether that's stable or developer ROM depends but I don't think you're going to get OTA updates?

It might come with the genuine China ROM as there is no global one yet, they usually flash the Google package you can download, it works fine but if you get an update it will wipe it again so you just run it again to re install, i will post a link when I am back on my PC.

Thanks for clearing some of this up for me, I appreciate it. Will no doubt be back with more questions when I have the handset if you don't mind? Ordered yesterday so should have it around midweek next week.

Soldato
Waiting to push the button to buy the Note 3 Pro but dont know if i should hold out for a snap dragon/global rom release of the Note 4?.

I cant see much difference in the specs between the two.

Has anyone got any thoughts?.

Last edited:
Associate
Waiting to push the button to buy the Note 3 Pro but dont know if i should hold out for a snap dragon/global rom release of the Note 4?.

I cant see much difference in the specs between the two.

Has anyone got any thoughts?.

My motto in tech is:

"If it's good enough for you now, and will be for the time you plan to use it, just buy it", cause new tech is always 'right around the corner' and 'slightly better'.

Soldato
My Mi Note 2 is dead or as close too it :(

Random screen locks started this afternoon. These turned into a rebooting cycle.

I managed to re flash it to the latest rom which seemed to fix it for an hour or 2 but it's back where it started. :(

Any ideas or is it bin worthy?

Edit:- it's just under 12 months old.

Soldato
My motto in tech is:

"If it's good enough for you now, and will be for the time you plan to use it, just buy it", cause new tech is always 'right around the corner' and 'slightly better'.

I waited too long.. The 'black' version is out of stock on Top One and I doubt they will be having anymore in due to the note 4 release. Will keep an eye out though.

Associate
My Mi Note 2 is dead or as close too it :(

Random screen locks started this afternoon. These turned into a rebooting cycle.

I managed to re flash it to the latest rom which seemed to fix it for an hour or 2 but it's back where it started. :(

Any ideas or is it bin worthy?

Edit:- it's just under 12 months old.

Have you tried a full wipe from TWRP and then reinstalling a ROM?

I waited too long.. The 'black' version is out of stock on Top One and I doubt they will be having anymore in due to the note 4 release. Will keep an eye out though.

Note 4 it is then? :p

Back
Top Bottom