28" - 32" 1440 Monitor ?

Soldato
Ive been looking for help with a monitor for the last 2 weeks but to no success :/

In the market for a new 28" - 32" monitor that is 2560x1440.
Budget is around £400 - £450

Currently using Intel HD4400 onboard GPU but would be willing to spend £100 on a new GPU to run it but whatever I spend on GPU comes out of the budget collectively.

Will be used for office stuff, surfing, some light photoshop and light media consumption. Some light AutoCAD stuff in 2D. NO GAMING!

What do you guys recommend?

Looking to order no later than Friday....

Current system:

Intel Core i3-4130 @3.4Ghz Haswell
MSI B85-G43
16Gb DDR3 Team Group Vulcan PC-1600
Samsung 120Gb SSD 840 EVO
Intel HD4400 (onboard)

Last edited:
Soldato
Your budget seems quite high for what you're doing but if you don't mind spending some cash and going 1" smaller the Dell U2715H is worth a look. I would maybe buy a GPU secondhand, GTX 750 would be plenty and it wouldn't need power cables.

Soldato
OP
Your budget seems quite high for what you're doing but if you don't mind spending some cash and going 1" smaller the Dell U2715H is worth a look. I would maybe buy a GPU secondhand, GTX 750 would be plenty and it wouldn't need power cables.

Many thanks for your reply. I think I will settle for the dell you suggested.
Would an RX 460 2Gb be sufficient for 1440?

Soldato
OP
Let me know what you think of that monitor - very seriously considering one myself! :)

Will do.
Every review I've read has given it great feedback and is a recommended display.

What's the best to install it? Plug it in and disable onboard GPU in bios and then install drivers once system fully booted? And then uninstall onboard GPU drivers?

Soldato
OP
Ok. So Radeon RX460 and Dell Monitor arrived today!!!

All i can say is WOW!!! 1440 has so much more real estate!!! The dell is sharp and crisp and i haven't even messed about with anything yet!!

IOts going to get some use to but so far im pleased.

Will give a detailed analysis after 24hrs use of various things i throw at it.

Soldato
OP
Early thoughts? I'm close to pulling the trigger but there is a deadline :p

I'm pleased I bought it!
It's Sharp, colours are accurate, build quality is superb, Photoshop work looks ace, plenty of real estate to multitask, text is sharp at 1440 and I run everything at 100% so it's still readable. Software and controls for monitor make life easy too and I can set up different profiles for different apps and usage.

All in all I'm pleased and it's worth the price :) and it's worth the praise the reviews give it.

Soldato
OP
Sounds good! Roll on tomorrow. I'd best clear my desk! :D

Did you buy it? :D

Now having used it for a fair bit I can say its really good quality.
I've surfed, done Photoshop work, Autocad work, watched 1080p MKV's, and general all round work and can say the colours and colour reproduction is epic.

I keep everything on standard but have lowered the brightness to 40 (from 50) and that's it. I haven't felt the need to mess about with the settings as previous monitors because this Dell just seems to work out the box.

I think I need to read up on what best settings to use with the Radeon RX460 for graphics and movies which might add to the pleasure of using the Dell.

The one thing about the Dell is that its kind of not that much bigger than my 24" BenQ interms of overall size as the bezels are like 8mm or something and the BenQ had bezels which were more like 20/25mm.

I think its the right size for me anyway as I kind of sit about 60/70cm away from it and if I went even bigger it would have hurt my eyes or would have been too close

Soldato
I did indeed bite the bullet. Just this minute set it up and my word it. Is. EPIC! :D

So much more real estate and a very different colour display from my old monitor (also a Dell) and a worthy upgrade! :D

I have to go to work now (booooo!) but I'll test some media tonight. I did have a quick spring through a level of Borderlands 2 and it looked fab! :D

Back
Top Bottom