Vouchers to burn - which monitor?

Associate
Was offered vouchers of my choice for a deal at work, so of course opted for OCUK vouchers ;)

Have £500 incoming to get a new monitor but not sure which one to get.

I only play FPS games and to be honest I only ever play Squad and can't see that changing any time soon. At the moment I have a 24 inch 144hz 1080p AOC freesync monitor.

I said I would never go back to 60hz again, but as Squad is still poorly optimised I've had to get used to averaging 60FPS again anyway so I could possibly give that up.

I really like the idea of superwide and also 1440p.

Freesync is a must also.

So, suggestions? I've seen the LG 34UC88 but that has a 14ms response time, is that too much? would I notice?

I don't mind adding up to £200 to the vouchers if needs be, but that's about the limit. Ideally as close to £500 as possible.

Help!

Associate
Thats 14ms black to white though, which is not the response time most monitors will list on their specs, if you're comparing it to other screens. I think the GTG (grey to grey) response time is 5ms.

I got the LG 29UC88 last week - the little brother of the 34UC88. Smaller screen and obviously lower resolution but it can do high framerates with more modest hardware (I'm using an RX 480 and very happy with it) and has a much better freesync range - 40-75Hz compared to the 34's 55-75Hz.

I switched to it from a BenQ XL2420Z which was a 144Hz TN with 1ms gtg response time. The LG hasn't felt slow to my eyes. I can see some motion blur if I look for it but the improvements in image quality from the IPS panel, the super wide aspect and the freesync FAR outweigh the response time for me.

What GPU do you have? I've been really happy with how the RX 480 has been handling 2560x1080 but I think it would struggle to stay about 60fps (at the highest settings) with the latest games on a 3440x1440 resolution.

Associate
OP
That's really helpful mate thanks.

I'm on a 390x at the moment, but Squad is CPU limited at the moment (even with a 6700k at 4.6ghz!) so my GPU only runs at 30 - 60% use. I think it will be fine.

I was just reading that a) by switching freesync on you automatically overclock to 75hz and b) you can overclock the freesync range to run from 40hz - 75hz. If those are true then this seems like the perfect monitor for me

Back
Top Bottom