Vinyl outsells digital - turning point :-)

Man of Honour
trouble is, when the streaming bandwagon rumbles to a halt due to the record labels demanding too much money, a lot of people will find themselves without a music collection. :D

I still usually purchase FLAC or MP3 versions of ~10 of my favourite streamed tracks every 1-2 months so I have an offline copy of my most played stuff.

Associate
Last Christmas my 15 year old Nephew had a turntable with Led Zep 4, Led Zep 3 and U2 - New Years Day on vinyl and he swore blind it sounded 'so much better' so I went to look at his gear.
It was one of those £50 turntables with stereo 1" speakers built into it, an MP3 64 kbps sounded better.

Haha I love this. I have a decent setup analogue/digital setup I have tried to A/B vinyl against 96khz 24bit. I think with matched levels and clean vinyl they would be indistinguishable most of the time. Vinyl can often sound better though, that is more to do with the mastering than the format though.

I listen to a lot more music on vinyl than I ever did digital though, it essentially forces you to listen to at least a full side. Digital I would constantly just skip round and pretty much never listen to a full album.

Soldato
OP
I listen to a lot more music on vinyl than I ever did digital though, it essentially forces you to listen to at least a full side. Digital I would constantly just skip round and pretty much never listen to a full album.

Phil Collins actually mentions Album music order in his remasters. How nearly all the best songs got put at the beginning in the days of vinyl. Cd make that redundant. And for anyone that says vinyl sounds crap compares to other formats you need your head read. Loving the sound on my rega rp6 . Tbh cheap players of vinyl don't do it justice.

Soldato
Being an old fart, I always start at the first track of an album and just let it play through, no matter what the format, so in digital format I get the whole album in one sitting without having to get off my backside to turn the record over - WIN! :D

Soldato
I thought I understood why people bought vinyl (same pleasing colouration of the audio that tube amps / beats and bose headphones provide), but the fact such a huge amount never play the vinyl is an eye opener, total hipster and wanna-be hipster nonsense...

Soldato
in 2016 when man buns are popular. I imagine vinyl will regress back into obscurity when the hipsters realise their new dreams. For fans of vinyl though (actual fans) it's good news that it's popular though, cheaper pressings more availability etc etc.

I'm not surprised it's happened i just don't think it's for any reason other than it being trendy. Morrissons is selling vinyl that's how trendy it's become.

Each to their own I hilariously sit and await VHS to make a comeback.......

Man of Honour
Who cares what they sound like, it's about how your image looks. :p

but I haven't seen anybody do what all us teenagers used to do in the early 70s.
When going down your mates you carried your brand new album in a see through plastic sleeve which hopefully started a conversation on the way down there.
You couldn't go anywhere without seeing somebody carrying an album.

Associate
I listen to a whole Michael Jackson + Marvin Gaye album on vinyl with the Sennheiser Orpheus not too long ago and it made me want to get a nice set up. I still may. I've preferred the Vinyl character as I'm a fan of that old sound which is why I'm a tube fan and a HD650 fan.

What I like about Vinyl is you will listen to the whole album where as I generally pick out the songs I want to hear then move on which is something I've only recently done.

Associate
Was just chatting about this on work yesterday. One guy in his mid 60's has thousands of records as he's a collector so he's on a bit of a high over the comeback vinyl has been steadily making. He's very much of the attitude that because it's vinyl it's going to sound better than anything else regardless of the audio setup used.

Personally, I don't get the whole vinyl comeback and I prefer the convenience that digital formats offer and as I'm no audiophile I'll not be nitpicking between whatever nuances there are between them. I certainly appreciate the large scale artwork and to some extent can see the whole romanticism of a turntable and vinyl. Unfortunately my memories are crackles, pops, blue tacking a penny onto the arm to stop the needle jumping, forgetting to change the speed and so on.

Soldato
OP
I do think vinyl works best the higher up your budget is. A cheap ( in hifi terms ) cd v turntable at sub £600 will probably be better in sounds terms for cd . And while TT in tge sub £200 are ok , I think to get the most out of them you need to be spending a lot more . My rega p3 with cartridge was £450 ..... and that was 13 years ago . My new rp6 was £1100 . Love it to bits :)

Caporegime
I do think vinyl works best the higher up your budget is. A cheap ( in hifi terms ) cd v turntable at sub £600 will probably be better in sounds terms for cd . And while TT in tge sub £200 are ok , I think to get the most out of them you need to be spending a lot more . My rega p3 with cartridge was £450 ..... and that was 13 years ago . My new rp6 was £1100 . Love it to bits :)

pics?

Soldato
yes - is one of them a green ?

the stevehoffman vinyl threads do say that some of the new pressings are poorer quality, although have not seen that myself with the who & hendrix. 180gm re-pressing anyway.
I did find these are heavier, so the flipping operation (no one stops the turntable do they ?) was a bit more complex.

If anyone has advice on where to purchase individual flac tracks too ?

Soldato
OP

20161209_150021_zpsxx4h5p8k.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20161209_150005_zpsfuyu1rhz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20161209_150100_zps3qqhyxk3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20161209_150116_zpsioqvodsh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20161209_150147_zpskgzoe3vv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Soldato

I wish,

I am a bit lower in the foodchain, my Rega RP1 at £179 is settling down nicely but I think a slightly better cartridge will improve the sound, another £100.

I have a Project phono box SE that cost me £40 on the bay and that plugs into both my STX sound card (£79) and also my active 2.0 speakers (~£100) through a splitter on the output side.

Pro-jectPhonoBoxSE.jpg

For my usage it does the trick, many if not most, of my collection is 1970's originals and are not pristine.

I will invest at some time into an amp and separate speaker system.

Soldato
i think it depends on the type of music played, jazz and blues sounds better with vinyl and classical and dance is better with cd.
Dont really know what happened to my vinyl collection tho i did find my GnR appetite for destruction album with the original cover art a few weeks ago in the loft

Back
Top Bottom