*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
Yeh, the outfitting UI is really different now, still unsure if I like it or not, it has a very odd way of highlighting stuff via my controls which makes it feel really clunky.

And

And

Associate
I don't disagree but (for me) you should get the core of the game right first and FD haven't done that, NPCs being a prime example.

Online gaming is a moot point with ED considering there's a large user base who play solo, the only online element being the necessity of having an internet connection.

How is that different to any other online game that is under continued development? In an idea situation games would never need continued tweaking but they all do, it's a fact of online gaming and continued development.

Soldato
I don't disagree but (for me) you should get the core of the game right first and FD haven't done that, NPCs being a prime example.

Name me one game that is still being developed online or off that doesn't have continued balancing and tweaks.

Soldato
How is that different to any other online game that is under continued development? In an idea situation games would never need continued tweaking but they all do, it's a fact of online gaming and continued development.

Case in hand... NPCs, attacking without clear/simply piracy mechanics in place (or available), who have now been beefed up to make them more dangerous/aggressive...

Solve the former, before doing the latter... Help the issue, before amplifying it...

Soldato
Amplifying it? I don't recall ever seeing it before so that's somewhat disingenuous isn't it? It's quite clearly an issue due to the new AI routines to me.

Soldato
Amplifying it? I don't recall ever seeing it before so that's somewhat disingenuous isn't it? It's quite clearly an issue due to the new AI routines to me.

NPCs have always been fairly pschopathic with their shoot first agenda... And there was of course little/no information/clarity/mechanics on if you could drop cargo to stop them/fulfil their piracy terms.

Now the AI has ben "buffed" in 2.1, the NPCs can supposedly dish out their punishment more effectively.

Would it make sense if an NPC (pirate) interdicted you and gave you terms/condition for you to adhere to? Somewhat as you'd expect? Why would they simply attack and destroy?

Soldato
As I said, it's clearly an issue with the new routines, I fully expect it to be fixed and of course it would make sense for interactions to be able to be adhered to, the community on the whole were much more vocal in asking for harder AI which is what we got, bugs notwithstanding, the rest will come in time.

Soldato
As I said, it's clearly an issue with the new routines, I fully expect it to be fixed and of course it would make sense for interactions to be able to be adhered to, the community on the whole were much more vocal in asking for harder AI which is what we got, bugs notwithstanding, the rest will come in time.

I fully expect little/no improved orchestration of piracy by NPCs... I fully expect them to open fire, and for CMDRs to continue to panic and try to second guess what the hell is going on, and what the NPC actually wants to fulfil their piracy terms/conditions...

I would dearly love to be proved wrong, but it does seem at times bobble heads, beards, traffic control voices, clocks and paint jobs are seen as more important than simple core game mechanic improvements. Indeed when DB was asked sometime ago, when is piracy going to be improved in a livestream, a confused look came across his face, and his response was akin to, what else could you want?

Anyway, please let me be wrong! I'd love to see NPC pirates act logically! Especially now they've been made more dangerous.

Last edited:
Soldato
Graphic artists can program AI now?

As for core mechanics, that's a personal opinion as to what is needed more isn't it, I for one have no issues with the way it works now and find the immersion game by the addition of traffic control voices far more important. I am keen to have more of that added. Expecting to get everybody working on what you personally consider to be important is never going to happen unless you run the company, you don't so you'll have to put up with how it's run by Braben and how he chooses to prioritise development.

Soldato
Graphic artists can program AI now?

As for core mechanics, that's a personal opinion as to what is needed more isn't it, I for one have no issues with the way it works now and find the immersion game by the addition of traffic control voices far more important. I am keen to have more of that added. Expecting to get everybody working on what you personally consider to be important is never going to happen unless you run the company, you don't so you'll have to put up with how it's run by Braben and how he chooses to prioritise development.

If you find traffic control voices more important that NPC pirates actually acting like pirates and giving logical terms, rather than simply opening fire leaving CMDRs none-the-wiser as to that the hell is going on... And ultimately just blowing up the very cargo they're supposedly after...? Fine...

As I see it we're getting too much priority for "cool stuff" rather than "core stuff"... :(

Soldato
Immersion is core stuff, NPC pirates make up about .01% of my playtime, having immersion when docking, significantly more.

Soldato
Immersion is core stuff, NPC pirates make up about .01% of my playtime, having immersion when docking, significantly more.

Wow! OK!

In truth, in a couple of days I suspect I'll be looking for the option to turn "Traffic Control" off TBH. Even within a couple of landings it was feeling mechanical and do this, play that recording, do that, play this recording.

In the meantime I'm sure all the CMDRs getting blown up over and over in their T6's by non-communicative NPC pirates with not get frustrated, thinking, OK good! Now I'm at the rebuy screen I can hear the Traffic Control giving me take off clearance again!

Personally, I'd prefer the immersion of NPC's acting more logically, than a few sound bites...

Soldato
Calm down, we all have differing opinions, no need to get upset over it, it's not like it wont ever get fixed is it?

Soldato
Calm down, we all have differing opinions, no need to get upset over it
Who's upset... Simply pointing out an alternative view on the matter.

...it's not like it wont ever get fixed is it?
Once again, it's the fact other things are given importance over the basics... I'd suggest people getting blown up due to poor/confusing mechanics, is a "basic". Meanwhile we have "frills" being added...

What's so hard about NPCs actually giving a logical set of terms before opening fire? And allowing CMDRs to fulfil those terms? I'm sure a few IFs and BUTs could make it an interesting experience... and more importantly a more logical and immersive one than simply being interdicted and mindlessly fired upon.

It's right down there with RES mechanics. A never ending procession of Wanteds turning up to an area for no reason other than to be blown up. Daft...

Soldato
Who's upset... Simply pointing out an alternative view on the matter.

Apologies if I misread that :)

Once again, it's the fact other things are given importance over the basics... I'd suggest people getting blown up due to poor/confusing mechanics, is a "basic". Meanwhile we have "frills" being added...

What importance? The AI issues wasn't apparent in beta, you're arguing something that only became apparent when launched to live is secondary to stuff already added? Do you think FD have a time machine?

What's so hard about NPCs actually giving a logical set of terms before opening fire? And allowing CMDRs to fulfil those terms? I'm sure a few IFs and BUTs could make it an interesting experience... and more importantly a more logical and immersive one than simply being interdicted and mindlessly fired upon.

Nothing on the face of it, but then I've never attempted to program AI, I have however done plenty of if/then/switch etc etc statements in webcoding and I can tell you now that I suspect that was like drawing a stickman compared to AI coding being a Michelangelo, was full of enough issues that I dread to think of the complications involved in creating AI to suit every single encounter they're likely to require in ED, I think you are being entirely unreasonable in your expectations that something that is an obvious bug which has literally just manifested be fixed before content that was already created and that expecting FD to get everybody they employ to work on AI interactions when clearly not suited to it just shows a complete lack of any sort of knowledge over how development works.

Associate
Well everyone is moaning about the AI on the forums , it's not really AI . All that happens are your shields are now rinsed in a few seconds and this is happening to fully kitted ships. AI my ass :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I had seen it before but not till today did I fully realise what a toxic place the Elite forums have become. The way some long time players are dismissing "casuals" and noobs is awful.
I feel it might be lost on them that casual and noobs are what keeps the game going.

Anyway, will see what happens over the weeks...

Associate
Right,

I just jumped into the game this morning, i left the dock i was in to go look at the new graphics on the surface of the planet. Upon trying to return back to the dock i got interdicted, being in a type 7 and being close to the planet i submitted (bearing in mind that i had no cargo at all!) The same thing happend, shields got taken down in seconds and before i knew it i was down to 50% Hull! thats 3 million i've lost in the 10 minutes i've played of 2.1! i won't be playing again until the A.I. is more balanced.

Soldato
Right,

I just jumped into the game this morning, i left the dock i was in to go look at the new graphics on the surface of the planet. Upon trying to return back to the dock i got interdicted, being in a type 7 and being close to the planet i submitted (bearing in mind that i had no cargo at all!) The same thing happend, shields got taken down in seconds and before i knew it i was down to 50% Hull! thats 3 million i've lost in the 10 minutes i've played of 2.1! i won't be playing again until the A.I. is more balanced.

I have no idea if they will TBH

If they do anything, I think they should remove or make very rare the use of the engineer mods as that seems to be the issue. It feels unbalanced that NPC's should be kitted out with modded systems when we will have a lot of work to get there. I have no issue with their new tactics....

Back
Top Bottom