** POTENTIALLY THE BEST GAMING MONITORS YET!! ** Acer 34" Ultra-wides

Associate
But why shouldn't you?? The current situation really is a joke, and most people don't even know it. I bought an IPS monitor some 8-9 years ago, an Eizo. Cost me about £700 at the time. It was PERFECT, no bleed, hardly any glow, pixel perfection, and I was very happy. After about 4 and half years, I noticed my panel started to get a bit patchy. I contacted Eizo and as it was still within their 5 year warranty period, they told me to send it in. I did so and was given a brand new replacement panel. Jump forward a decade and you can't even get a perfect panel in the first place, never-mind expect a manufacturer to replace it if and and when it develops issues, except in extreme circumstances.

We have gone so far back in to the stone-age when it comes to monitor quality (with IPS anyway) and customer service, it's genuinely sad.

By this point, I think the manufacturers have cottoned on to the fact most people will accept (and pay) pretty much anything, as long as it's new and shiny, so I'm half expecting them to bring the same sloppy attitude with OLED. Call me a cynic, but it is what it is.

:(

Totally agree. This is the reason I've avoided this particular monitor. Had many bad experiences with so called "high end" g-sync monitors that the ridiculous cost of this one is to much to gamble.

I bought the Dell U2711 about 5 years ago now and it has been perfect. First try to.

I tried to get a brand spanking new g-sync monitor late march last year starting with the XB270HU.... 11 months later, 9 different panels (asus/acer) ALL with GENUINE faults or awful QC and £200 return shipping fees later I still don't have a new monitor.

I'd love to have one of these and I could get one right now. However my confidence has been reduced to relying on luck. Something I'm not prepared to do on a almost criminally overpriced monitor like this one.

So yeah I agree it's a joke right now and made worse when retailers gloss over it all.

Last edited:
Associate
That was my issue with the two of these screens I had, I compared them to my 4/5 year old dell u2410 which cost half as much, had no coil whine, bleed, glow and is built far better then this screen. There was no way I was going to be happy keeping either of the screens I had and I am amazed some people on here are even after having issues within the return period.

Associate
Have had zero issues with my X34 (purchased in December, October unit). It has some minor BLB but personally, I've never seen an IPS-type LCD with no blacklight bleed.

My old Dell 3008WFP had worse BLB and that cost around $2K at release.

Can't wait until OLED gets here but until then the X34 will tide me over.

Soldato
These overpriced monitors are starting to annoy me. With every other PC purchase things are simple. Good case? Phantek, Cpu? 5820k, Gfx card? 980ti...

Monitor?... well... play some kinda panel lottery on screens that are using ancient technology and look worse than screens from 4 years ago. ARGH.

I wanna finish my system to a high standard but things are crap in monitor ranges right now :(

Soldato
Not sure what monitor your looking at the x34 is a stunning monitor well worth the money imo

They aren't worth the money though. There is a lot of quality issues with current panels. When you consider that a couple of hundred quid more would buy a larger Oled TV it makes ya wonder how they justify the cost.

The x34 is impressive but to me it doesn't seem like there are any "gaming" monitors that offer the quality and confidence I'd like to expect from a high end purchase. There always seems to be a risk or compromise with them.

Associate
also consider a 2560x1440 IPS monitor is around £200. These are over 4 times the price.

you get curved, g-sync and about 1/3 extra pixels for the extra money. so value wise for stats, it's a definate no. but then you have experience provided, which is a lot tougher to put a value on...

Soldato
Well at this price point I do expect perfection.

I think you'd be quite dumb if you expect anything less.

So do you actually own one? Or have owned one? Or do you like to spend your entire time repeatedly moaning and ****ging something off you've never even laid your eyes on? :confused:

Yes OLED will be awesome and looking forward to that.

Yes of course because they'll be perfect with absolutely no flaws at all, or are you going to spend your entire time moaning about them too?

Last edited:
Soldato
Should be buying a monitor be any different to say buying a car.

If I bought a new car and it kept slipping out of gear or juddering at 30MPH would I think, "oh well never mind, I'm lucky to have such a nice car" or would I be down to the car dealer asking them to fix it ASAP! Moreover I would expect the manufacturer of that car to have put QA procedures in place to ensure this didn't happen before the car was delivered to me.

Maybe it's not the greatest analogy in the world but if I'm paying £££ for something I expect it to pretty much perfect, if it's not then I'll either "buy one but the return it" or "just not bother in the first place". If these monitors were £250 then my feeling might be different, but these are significantly expensive pieces of kit!

Last edited:
Soldato
Not looked in this thread for months. Pop in and I'm seeing the same old back and forth comments of gullible people willing to pay a fortune for faulty products, and the few sane people who actually expect things to work.

It's quite baffling how the mindset of so many can be twisted to accept substandard, expensive monitors and basically compromise. I can't think of any other product, in any sector, that this sort of acceptance and casual attitude to blatant problems and faults is tolerated.

Last edited:
Associate
One thing that stands out to me is the coil whine issue some people have (I think all the monitors have it and its just whether you can hear it or not), if it was their GPU that cost half as much or less it would be sent back straight away. But on a monitor when it only happens "some times" its fine. Even worse when the company making it has come out and said it knows of these design faults but has washed its hands of it.

Associate
Not looked in this thread for months. Pop in and I'm seeing the same old back and forth comments of gullible people willing to pay a fortune for faulty products, and the few sane people who actually expect things to work.

It's quite baffling how the mindset of so many can be twisted to accept substandard, expensive monitors and basically compromise. I can't think of any other product, in any sector, that this sort of acceptance and casual attitude to blatant problems and faults is tolerated.

Well since i paid £500 which is nothing for a monitor as far as im concerned no coil wine and no image issues as far as i can see using it for 3 weeks now im hardly gonna spend my time looking for problems if i don't notice any day to day i would have spend 1k and still been happy with it.

We have 2k medical grade nec monitors at work 20-24 inch and i use these on my desk everyday and i much rather use my x34, the nec are amazing quality image wise but the acer is near the same imo.

I think people will moan regardless there hasn't never been a perfect monitor as people will still find faults regardless, deal with them or just don't buy it don't come into threads like this and speak about something you don't own or intend to.

Soldato
I think you've basically missed the whole point of this "discussion forum" ;)

I think your missing the point. There are a few people that are constantly telling owners that our displays are full of faults which isn't the case. Its almost as though they cant afford the display so justify to themselves by trying to pick faults with something they don't own to make themselves feel better. Of course this is not applicable to everyone but this is how it comes across from some posts I have read. I actually find some of these posts funny to read. :D

I bought three different monitors last year and the only one I kept was the X34. I had a 25" Dell IPS and I returned that as it was too small and didn't really fill my needs. It also had some ips glow in the corners which is to be expected from an ips display. The second display was an Ultrawide Dell U3415 which I returned due to terrible back light bleed. The X34 is the most expensive of the three displays I purchased but its the one I have kept and am very happy with. I would have had no hesitations returning the display if there were any issues with it, in fact I was so hesitant in ordering it after reading forum posts of problems people were having. Maybe I struck it lucky or maybe there are many users happy with their displays which seems to be the case if you look this thread and I was just focused on the unlucky few. Yes people have got faulty displays but this is the case with every product.

As for the display has to be perfect well every display has its inherent weaknesses otherwise there would be displays getting 100% across the board in reviews. What does perfect even mean? A response time of zero, perfect black levels, loads of inputs, perfect colour reproduction, amazing speakers, perfect off axis viewing etc....

The same can be said for TVs as well which I know only too well as I usually buy a top end £4000-5000 tv every 4-5 years and its always a mine field trying to find a display whose weaknesses I can live with the best. Yes you would think that spending 4-5k on a TV would net you a perfect display and for the most part it does, how ever if you want to nit pick and pick out weaknesses you can and I believe you can do this with pretty much most stuff be it Hifi, AV, Cars etc...

Anyway that's my take on it, agree or disagree I am happy with my X34 and its a keeper. Is it expensive, yes, but it puts a smile on my face every time I use it and in my eyes was worth asking price.

Soldato
I think your missing the point. TV's currently have a lot better QA than monitors. You cant really compare the two because there are a lot more TV's sold than monitors and the market is completely different.

Its also not inherent weaknesses or nit picking weaknesses as you say that people are complaining about its a fact the issues experienced got past the QA checks in the first place.

We've had monitors bought as brand new only to find out they were someone elses faulty returns. Lets not forget the 250 or so monitors destined for OCUK that got recalled because they had an issue that needed a firmware update. This got past QA checks.

The issues were poor quality products and shambolic customer service. If I bought a TV today I am totally confident I would get a working good quality TV for the money I paid. You absolutely categorically can not state that about a monitor at the moment. Its a sad fact.

In the same vein you are happy with your X34 I am happy with my PG279Q yet there are forum members warning you off it like they are for the X34.

To list a few

XB270HU
X34
PG279Q
Original TN Swift

all the above have had posts about new monitors having quality issues, not weaknesses.
Its not just one monitor.

Associate
That's exactly what i meant there isn't one monitor that has no faults people deal with it and enjoy the screen if someone buys it and not happy then send it back fair enough i would do the same end of the day we are all pc enthusiasts some more critical than others.

I've worked in the professional IT industry for over 12 years now and i guess you get used to making do as its the nature of IT everything has issues in the long run and you make do with what you have even the most expensive server/network gear has bugs and qc issues I've seen it first hand, monitors and such are no different.

If we all had perfect kit we would never upgrade lol.

Soldato
I believe Tvs have very similar issues all across the range. When I was looking for my current display the top end Sharp Elite which was some $9000 and at the time the pinnacle of displays in the USA had issues with the colour cyan, it couldn't display it at all. The only way to resolve this was via a firmware fix. At the same time a Sony display had a visible crease down the right hand side of the display, this was never fixed in the models below 65" and this was their flagship model. Samsung displays had issues with brightness pops etc.... Onkyo receivers had issues with their HDMI boards over heating and burning out, so much so that they had to extend their warranty to 2018 and this was on going for years. You only have to go to avforums or avsforums to read examples of stuff like this on allot of AV gear.

Back to the X34/XR34 you are right there was two recalls which isn't great but has been resolved. One was for blue banding and the other was a wake from sleep issues. These were months ago and have been resolved. I agree its not great for those early adopters and shouldn't of happened but it was addressed. I rarely see anyone discussing these faults at all and it is normally other stuff which is brought up.

I totally agree that the high end monitors do seem to attract a certain type of poster who probably has no intention of buying that display but will run it down. These posters to me come across as bitter and would probably jump at the chance to own one of these displays if it was handed to them. These are the types of posts which make me laugh and what I am referring too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom