Studio Monitors as everyday PC speakers?

Associate
I used to make beats/dj back in the day and for the past 10+ years I've had a pair of active nearfield studio monitors (Alesis M1 Active) for my music and PC tasks (games, music, movies).

One of my monitors is almost dead now and I am wondering if I should be buying another pair of studio monitors or if I should just get some generic 2.1 speakers. I am not into the music stuff right now so I will only be using them as everyday PC speakers. I listen to a lot of music, prefer gaming with speakers instead of headphones and I also watch movies.

After all these years I am used to the flat, clean sound of my monitors which I really enjoyed.

What should I buy?

Soldato
For music, good stereo speakers are much better than 2.1 speakers, so I'd go for monitor speakers again if you're going to listen to a lot of music. Good 2.1 speakers, such as Acoustic Energy Aego M, are a good option if gaming is the main use, but decent speakers are also wanted for music.

£75 looks like really good value for the M1, so maybe another pair would be a good idea, if you're looking to spend that kind of money.

Associate
OP
£75 looks like really good value for the M1, so maybe another pair would be a good idea, if you're looking to spend that kind of money.

Where did you see that price? I got mine for £200+ many years ago (M1 Active 520). From what I'm seeing they got replaced with a USB version.

Anyway, if I'm going for studio monitors I am looking at KRK/Yamaha this time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah, you had the 520's. Must admit I didn't see those at first. It's the 320's that are £75. Not sure if the 520 are 4 or 5 inch woofers. If they're 5", that's a quite a bit larger, and will explain the £100 or so price difference.

Soldato
Really depends on usage and placement. Floor stander speakers are great for HiFi, but not the best choice for near field use. They excel when turned up filling a room with sound. Even my Wharfedale 9.1's sounded a bit limited when I tried using them on my desk at lower volume. They perform vastly better when I use them on stands in more open space with the volume turned up. It will be similar for floor standing speakers either side of a desk.

Back
Top Bottom