i7 4770t - different frequency under UEFI and OS

Associate
Hi everyone!
First of all just want you to know this is my first Intel CPU since Pentium II - so be Gentle :D
But bit more seriously I am not OC newbie and I can manage it easily. Currently more knowledge than practise in Intel, other way in AMD :)

To the point. I've set my 4770t to his maximum - fixed 3.7GHz on all cores - nicely showing that in UEFI but only 3.1GHz under Win10 OS. Whatever I tried I can only go below x31 Ratio. Can set more - up to x37 but nothing happen after all :(
Freq. checked with several programs - same one there.

Mobo: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, latest Bios.
What I've set in UEFI which makes showing 3.7GHz there:

• CPU ratio set to x37 (Cache ratio max x37 too)
• Speed Step off
• C1E, and other power saving states off
• Load Line Calibration set to Performance
• Throttling off, max temperature is 56°C at 3.1GHz - tested with OCCT and RealBench - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 and mx-4 does the great job :)
• HT still on - I can't go sky high with OC obviously so no reason to shut it off
• Any other options could set to help increase performance and help with OC - done. All that makes fixed 3700MHz in UEFI, but as soon I go to Windows see only 3.1GHz. Return to Bios and here it is - 3.7 again!

Power saving options under OS switched of or set to MAX, tried with the Multiplier in ASRock A-Tuning & ThrottleStop - like I wrote before can set it desired values but no effect. I really lost the idea now, where to look for the solution.
Please help guys. Maybe someone also already dealt with low voltage ("T") CPU's and will share his experience with this issue :)
Cheers

Last edited:
Associate
A T series CPU is different than the K series. Usually you need to have at least the C3 C State enabled in order to maximize the multiplier. You also need Turbo Boost and SpeedStep enabled in the bios.

The 37 multiplier might only be available when a single core is active. That depends on the motherboard and on the bios. Show me a screenshot of ThrottleStop while you are running a single thread of the TS Bench test. Make sure to click on the Turn On button to take it out of Monitoring mode, check the Set Multiplier box and set that to the maximum value. The latest version has more features for the 4th Gen CPUs like you have.

ThrottleStop 8.00
https://www.sendspace.com/file/p1q40a

Associate
OP
unclewebb, cheers for newer version. Already on it :)
Following about ThrottleStop settings - I can set and make remain 3.7GHz easily under one core stress. It is dropping to factory settings when I add stress to another cores - ignoring ThrottleStop settings:

Turbo Boost in UEFI is enabled, however option disappears if Fixed mode is on - but still allows to set x37 Multiplier. and SpeedStep was on, but I was override this function in ThrottleStop to see what's happen - still only 3.1GHz on all cores...

Steveocee, as it is non "K" CPU the Multiplier is still adjustable - change option is still allowed. The difference is that I can only adjust to the highest factory Turbo value. So in my case x37 is the roof :)

Associate
For non K CPUs, the maximum multiplier usually depends on how many cores are active. For a 4770T, when 1, 2, 3 or 4 cores are active, the maximum multiplier is probably going to be 37, 35, 33, 31.

After you boot up, delete the ThrottleStop.INI file, run ThrottleStop and then have a look in the FIVR window. It will show you what turbo multipliers your bios set your CPU to based on how many cores are active. Intel does not list the official specs. If you run Intel XTU and your CPU is supported, it should show the maximums. ThrottleStop leaves this option open because it was discovered that some motherboards with a custom bios can let some CPUs go beyond the official Intel limits.

As your picture shows, the 1 core active, 37 multiplier is definitely working correctly. This CPU and motherboard combination likely does not support the 37 multiplier when all 4 cores are active. This CPU is also limited by the 45 Watt TDP limit. Long term, the amount of Turbo Boost (multiplier) is reduced to prevent the CPU from exceeding this limit. If you run a more demanding stress test like the latest version of Prime 95, you would see a lot more turbo throttling and your CPU would not be able to maintain the 31 multiplier. It might drop down to 26 or 27. You can squeak out a few more MHz by lowering the core and cache voltage. This reduces power consumption so will give you a little more turbo boost during a Prime95 Small FFT stress test.

The base multiplier for this CPU is 25. Some motherboards have some misleading options in the bios. Anytime the multiplier is higher than 25, Intel Turbo Boost is being used. Some motherboards give you an option to run a high fixed multiplier and turn Turbo Boost off but what really happens on those boards is that as soon as you boot up, Turbo Boost is turned back on within the processor.

Back
Top Bottom