M.2 10Gb/S

Soldato
My head is spinning with all the M.2 variants, I'm struggling to find out exactly which version my board supports as it just lists it's native M.2 slot as up to 10Gb/s, would one of these be worth it for me just as an OS drive just so I can keep all my SSD storage purely for storage rather than + OS files? Thinking of something like the 951 128GB.

Board is an MSI Gaming Z97M

Last edited:
Don
Would the speed difference be noticeable over a high end SSD? Perhaps.

Would it be awesome? Yes.

Wait for someone who knows your board to comment on compatibility :)

Soldato
OP
From reading around I think 10Gb/s is pcie 2.0 x2, so not the uber quick version but quick enough.

To be honest speed wasn't the only factor, I'm thinking a 128GB drive that doesn't need case space is an ideal way to home the OS and the random file crud you collect with it.

Associate
I have a Gigabyte black Z97 board and it too stated the 10 gb a sec but for the life of me i cant figure out where they come out with that figure because it only uses 2 lanes and no M.2 PCIe drive that uses 2 lanes comes no where near 10/GB sec, though you can use a drivethat uses more lanes that's faster you wont get the full benefit.
I bought a PCIe M.2 drive made by Plextor at the time because they were one of the few that were making them at the time and it is faster than a normal ssd I use it as a boot drive with Windows 7 Pro, no complains so far

Back
Top Bottom