Home Made Naan Bread

Soldato
Cooked it tonight, they work fine from frozen (taken out of freezer 8 hours before).

Some photos of the naan (and curry I cooked up to accompany). Brushed with melted butter and left for 5-10 min in foil to sweat.

ixsJJfV.jpg

UmS3DHS.jpg

ZzHGEvL.jpg

Soldato
Awesome, thanks :)

I need to go back to BIR sometime and give more of their recipes a try.

Sent you a small essay!

BIR is ok, for quick curries. But I do like traditional ones too, and often cook those. The only downside being they do tend to take a few hours for complex ones, but reward is usually deep flavours.

For anyone else interested, this is my normal home for authentic indian recipes

http://www.harighotra.co.uk/indian-recipes

Soldato
Why do you leave them to sweat? Look good by the way, it is a great recipe. What curry is it? looks nice .

I assume it's just so they keep the moisture in and not dry out. Makes them soft/chewy.

It's a home made curry following a BIR recipe, I'll happily trust you it if you setup your trust system :).

Any chance you could share that curry recipe please? Looks immense.

Will send what I sent to french in trust. Edit: Done

Last edited:
Soldato
I might post it up into a google doc sometime (will credit you of course) :)

Planning on picking up ingredients and making the base tonight actually.

Cool! Maybe we need a curry thread :D

I might post my ingredients cupboard... show people what kind of stuff you need for curries!

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the offer rexehuk but I know which curry it is now as I am a moderator on BIR;). I use the harighotra recipes regularly, they are very good, chicken biryani and lamb rogan josh are my favourites so far.
What I am interested in is what you mean by "modified by me so less fat/crap in it", I presume the fat is the !Tbsp of oil or the spiced oil but crap? what is it you class as this?

Soldato
Thanks for the offer rexehuk but I know which curry it is now as I am a moderator on BIR;). I use the harighotra recipes regularly, they are very good, chicken biryani and lamb rogan josh are my favourites so far.
What I am interested in is what you mean by "modified by me so less fat/crap in it", I presume the fat is the !Tbsp of oil or the spiced oil but crap? what is it you class as this?

Simply less oil. That recipe itself is actually not too bad, the majority of "badness" comes from the base sauces which sometimes use a litre of oil, which is far too much for my liking, I use minimal oil in my bases, after all curry doesn't have to hold a bad image of being unhealthy, traditionally it's not!

Still getting used to the BIR cooking style but fairly impressed so far with the results! Definitely more handy way of cooking for evenings during the week, can knock up pleasing meals in 15 minutes.

Top marks on the chicken biryani from Hari Gotra, that is my favorite too but again modified, by grinding the big spices not leaving them whole. I found the whole spices to be somewhat unpleasant when you bite down on a big peppercorn. I'm yet to try the lamb one, but that is next on my list, did you do the raw lamb or pre cooked one?

Also hope you don't mind me sharing the recipe outside of BIR, didn't want to make it public outside the forum :)

Associate
I like the whole spices lol. I/we would appreciate if you put a link to the website ;) If you modify the recipes.. well they become yours I suppose.. but as I say a link and credit to the recipe author would benefit everyone who wants to cook. After all it is a free forum to join with no costs at all to anyone who doesn't want to donate or buy the ebook (the bir ebook requires you to donate to a charity and supply a receipt to get a free copy).
http://bircurries.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=2589

Soldato
To be honest I was planning on re-upping the oil levels in the base :p 100ml doesn't really sound that bad to me and I don't view fat as unhealthy, so... :)

Yeah that base I sent you is one of the good ones, when you split it out into portions (250ml base per dish) the actual oil quantity is fairly acceptable. What I didn't want to achieve is the takeaway look, where your dish has a layer of oil sitting on top, which in my opinion is what gives BIR a bad/unhealthy name.

I also (maybe wrongly) use olive oil for all my indian cooking. Occasionally swapping it out for mustard oil or groundnut oil. There be no vegetable oil in my home! :D

I like the whole spices lol. I/we would appreciate if you put a link to the website ;) If you modify the recipes.. well they become yours I suppose.. but as I say a link and credit to the recipe author would benefit everyone who wants to cook. After all it is a free forum to join with no costs at all to anyone who doesn't want to donate or buy the ebook (the bir ebook requires you to donate to a charity and supply a receipt to get a free copy).
http://bircurries.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=2589

That's fine if you're happy for me to do that. I believe it's been posted a few pages back and I recommended it anyway, it really is a fantastic website and glad someone here posted it for us all.

So for anyone interested what we're talking about is this forum

http://bircurries.co.uk/

If you're looking to recreate your local takeaway dishes at home, this is the one place you probably want to head!

The dish I cooked was Garlic, Chilli Chicken Sagwalla by a guy called Unclefrank, but modified by me to my taste/experience cooking indian food.

I think BIR is somewhat more forgiving than traditional indian cooking, it is very hard to make something taste "horrible" and recommend everyone gives it a go. This dish I cooked would be perfect for a beginner, all you need is a bit of time, and you'll be rewarded with quick curries for weeks.

Man of Honour
To be fair, in the message I got from rexehuk he certainly credited the original site and recipe quite explicitly :)

edit: I agree /re the "layer of oil" effect btw

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom