• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Reference 290X TIM replacing?

Soldato
Hi,

So I'm using a reference 290X (Powercolor). We all know the cooler is loud, very loud.
You all know that and I knew it before I bought it, it wasn't a surprise.

I originally planned to watercool, but for me watercooling is something that always seems like a good idea right up until I actually have to strip everything down and fit it.

So, now I'm using the 290X with reference cooler.

Has anyone with a reference card changed the TIM but continued using the reference cooler?
If so, does it make much difference?
I know a while ago a few people replaced the TIM on MSI Gaming versions of the card (or 390s or something close) and it made quite a difference.
Does the same apply to the reference card? Or is the TIM not too bad on those, or the reference cooler isn't good enough for it to have much impact either way?

I'm hoping that if it can run a bit cooler it can run a bit quieter.

Soldato
Don't expect miracles but any thermal paste such as Arctic MX4, Silver, etc will be better than the factory TIM. You might get a few degrees better cooling which should result in a slightly lower fan speed.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi,

So I'm using a reference 290X (Powercolor). We all know the cooler is loud, very loud.

I originally planned to watercool, but for me watercooling is something that always seems like a good idea right up until I actually have to strip everything down and fit it.

Has anyone with a reference card changed the TIM but continued using the reference cooler?
I know a while ago a few people replaced the TIM on MSI Gaming versions of the card (or 390s or something close) and it made quite a difference.
Does the same apply to the reference card? Or is the TIM not too bad on those, or the reference cooler isn't good enough for it to have much impact either way?

Use Liquid Ultra, or if you don't want to take any risks some Noctua NH-H1. :p

Soldato
I replaced the TIM on one my MSI 290 Gaming Edition from factory TIM to MX4 and it made very little difference tbh not this might be because MSI was already using decent TIM.

Like above dont expect shocking results

Associate
Hi,

why the headach ? the only reason for getting reference multi-gpu or watercooling, you didnt do either.
so sell the card for like 150-200£ and get a sapphire 390 Nitro for £250, it already performs like the 290x or even better, and have room to overclock, and it's much cooler and silent and comes with double the memory, it would cost you about the same as getting a new cooler for your 290x

Associate
Actually I do have a refurbed H60 sitting around.
What sort of mount can I get that fits one of those? The G10 won't work will it?

Dont think the Kraken G10 supports the H60. The Corsair HG10 A1 would be what you are looking for I say.

HG10_01.png

Soldato
OP
why the headach ? the only reason for getting reference multi-gpu or watercooling, you didnt do either.
so sell the card for like 150-200£ and get a sapphire 390 Nitro for £250, it already performs like the 290x or even better, and have room to overclock, and it's much cooler and silent and comes with double the memory, it would cost you about the same as getting a new cooler for your 290x

Well I bought 3 of them back when they were £206 each to go 3 way CF. Also, as I said, I planned to watercool. That's why I went with the reference design. I just ended up doing neither. 3-way CF on air cooling is just hot and loud and as I said, watercooling is always a good idea until I come to actually do it. I think it comes from killing my 5870 when fitting a block to it (did the replacement 480 fine though).
I doubt the HG10 bracket costs £100, so not sure it'd be cheaper to sell and get a 390.
Also, this is my 3rd PC which pretty much gets hand-me-downs from my other 2, so don't want to be spending much money on this.

Dont think the Kraken G10 supports the H60. The Corsair HG10 A1 would be what you are looking for I say.

HG10_01.png

Nice. Do you need a fan for it or does it come with one that's just not shown in the picture?

Soldato

HG10_01.png

Well I bought 3 of them back when they were £206 each to go 3 way CF. Also, as I said, I planned to watercool. That's why I went with the reference design. I just ended up doing neither. 3-way CF on air cooling is just hot and loud and as I said, watercooling is always a good idea until I come to actually do it. I think it comes from killing my 5870 when fitting a block to it (did the replacement 480 fine though).
I doubt the HG10 bracket costs £100, so not sure it'd be cheaper to sell and get a 390.
Also, this is my 3rd PC which pretty much gets hand-me-downs from my other 2, so don't want to be spending much money on this.

Nice. Do you need a fan for it or does it come with one that's just not shown in the picture?

What am using now, You need to use the stock fan from the reference cooler.. Last I heard they was going to start shipping with there own fan.

Soldato
lol that would help with the fan noise....

It does, look on reviews for this bracket and cooling. Before reference coolers were cooling the core, VRMs and memory chips. Now you get a AIO taking care of most of the heat which is produced by the core. Then the reference fan only needs to cool the VRMs and mem chips. so quite easily will sit at 20% happily.
Also if your using TIM id suggest the Grizzly Kryonaught stuff. It's the best paste ive ever used and appears to be some of the best stuff in reviews. Non conductive too.

Soldato
So can't control it based on GPU temp?

You can with software if your mobo supports it which i think it should as long as your using PWM fans. Have a look at speedfan, you can control individual fan speeds based on temps i believe and also corsair link does the same too. I have a fan controller in my case so i just have all my fans running at a certain speed where it's just audible but fast enough to keep my temps down which IMO is easier than messing with software running in the background.

Back
Top Bottom