Man Down :o)

Associate
Hi guys,
I am typing this message from my iPad air2 which means all is not well in the Marvlin world PC wise :)

I left my PC this morning with the screensaver on and it was fine.
I've got back from work and my Samsung 40" to that I use as a monitor was flickering with the screen kind of showing the same effect you get when you go cross eyed.

Rebooting etc didn't work and when I did reboot the TV kept saying no signal received.

I've tried different monitors, cables and even an older 880GTX GPU that I know used to work before I mothballed it.

All are giving me no signal to the monitor.

Also when my machine reboots it doesn't beep.

I am starting to think the PSU has gone?
This is the oldest component in my machine.

Questions:

1) Based on what I have told you. Do you think this is the PSU also or is there something else I have missed.
No other hardware is connected except hard drives and a wireless network card that is a few months old.

2) Would the PSU failing have somehow broken my TV?
It seems odd they have both gone at the same time.
The TV is showing the wierd screen effects even when the PC is disconnected and in the menus etc too.

Annoyingly I bought a TitanX last night which has left me a little short so I want to make sure I spend the money in the right place.

Thanks guys

Marv

Associate
OP
So the TV isn't working with another device either?

How old is the PSU?

I would guess about 6 to 7 years old LOL

By way of an update I have just fitted a new PSU and the problem has gone as regards not being able to get a monitor going.

The TV has gone in for repair.

I can only assume when the PSUY failed it corrupted the TV in some way.

I have to say the TITAN X is rather splendid :D

Soldato
Good to hear mate, yes I believe a faulty PSU can damage other equipment as well. Quite extreme that it would take out a TV though, but there you go!

Soldato
Pin 18 on a HDMI carries a low-voltage (+5V) power supply. However a fault could cause a strong voltage to surge through this with a normal HDMI cable it can provide 500mA but a MHL HDMI cable can provide 900mA this could have damaged your TV.

Associate
OP
Pin 18 on a HDMI carries a low-voltage (+5V) power supply. However a fault could cause a strong voltage to surge through this with a normal HDMI cable it can provide 500mA but a MHL HDMI cable can provide 900mA this could have damaged your TV.

It was connected by a single cable that had DVI on the GPU end and VGA on the other.
Would a similar effect be experience with that set up?

Soldato
yes both VGA and DVI both have a similiar +5V connector, and as your using a cable to convert signal from analogue to digital then it's an extra process to go wrong when a big surge of power comes from a PSU which spazzes out.

Back
Top Bottom