Who owns an iPod alternative?

Soldato
Just wondering how many people use an MP3 player that isn't an iPod?

If you do. Why? Have you ever used an iPod and prefer your own?

N.B. iPod is in my spellchecker... that's what you call global domination of the market.

I personally own an iPod touch. Love it! Use it mostly for emails around the house and browsing the internet. Occasionally music on the trains etc.

Soldato
I had a Creative Zen, it was terrible. I persevered for a while but it was just rubbish at everything.

I replaced it with an iPhone as I was very impressed with the iPod interface, ability to easily sync music and podcasts.

I also have an 8GB Sansa Clip+.

Associate
Had an Iriver Clix one, crap storage space but the rest of it was quite nifty. Can't remember the price, think they stopped making them when Ipod came out probably should have bought an Ipod.

Soldato
Used to use a Cowon MP3 player but it got stolen. Since then I haven't bought a replacement as I don't feel the need. When I listen to music I do so on a £400 headphone set up at home which blows anything portable away.

That said, I wouldn't ever use an Apple product, as simply put, I'm not their target audience. I don't give a damn about looks or fashion. I don't want the "easy" experience that itunes provides; I would much prefer total control of my audio library, including keeping music dotted around my HDD in obscure formats if I want to (FLAC, monkey audio, MP3, wavpack etc.). I don't buy digital music so that functionality is moot. Etc. etc.

Also "ipod alternative" lol. Clearly the masses have spoken.

Associate
I own a cowon J3, bought it for it amazing battery life and Stunning audio quality and file type compatibility.

You can get around 65 hours playback from a charge and is pretty much compatible with all audio codecs.

It doesn't have Wi-Fi or many apps, though if it did i would just drain the battery in no time. Anyway that's what my phone is for! (Galaxy S, not IPhone ;))

Tucks

Associate
Use my phone as my mp3 player (Desire Z). I don't see any reason to have a seperate phone and mp3 player anymore. The standard music player software is more than sufficient and if not there's a bunch of great player apps that cost a whole £3 or so.

Man of Honour
I'd had digital music players for a while before Apple invented the entire genre:rolleyes: so stuck with non-apple. When Apple invented video on the move I stuck with my other brands that were already doing it.

I have a zune and zune pass but mostly use my phone or tablet (both android).

Associate
I've had countless MP3 players over the years, some iPods among them - an Archos Jukebox 6000, Creative NOMAD Jukebox, Creative Muvo, 2g iPod (free from a friend when he upgraded), Creative Zen Vision, iPod Photo (cheap and second hand), Creative Zen Stone, probably a few others too. I never really had a great issue with iPods, I just didn't find them all that stunning. Plus, a mate who had one and was so incredibly smug about it totally put me off them.

These all broke/got stolen somewhere along the line. Now I just use my phone. Galaxy S rather than iPhone :p

Soldato
Funny this should come up I was looking at mp3 players today.

There is nothing like an iPod Classic out there. The closest I could find was a Cowon one, but it was £40 more expensive.

I don't want an mp3 player to play videos and nonsense like that, I want it to play music.
I want it to hold all my music, which my iPod does easily!

I also don't have a problem with iTunes, been using it for years and cannot see why people hate it so much. Never had a single problem with it.

Sound quality may not be perfect on the iPod but its the best all rounder and for what I can see always will be

J.B

J.B

Soldato
I have a 40 gig Microsoft Zune, don't even remember where it came from, think it belonged to my GF at some point.

Does the job fine for me and the Zune program is surprisingly good. A couple of years ago it was terrible but then they had an overhaul and it's quite smart now.

Don't see the point of changing as I dont use it that much anymore

Soldato
I had a minidisc player just before the MP3 players all started coming out. I could fit one artist's worth of albums onto a disc (provided they weren't a band who spammed out albums...)

Currently I use my HTC Touch Pro if I want to listen to musics when out.

Back
Top Bottom