980ti Poseidon Temps issue, Help/advice etc.

Associate
Firstly the build = this :

gUPUtVo.jpg

Specs : 5820k @ 4.375, 1.25VC
980ti SLI Asus Poseidon's : 1380/7900, 110% Power, no change to voltage

Quad in roof, 240 on floor both push/pull : Corsair SP 120 LED fans, 3x AF140 Corsair case fans.

Maybe I am expecting a little too much from 2 hybrids next to each other in sli, but I am getting temps of 70c on one card, and 65ish on the second, thats running The Division @ 3440x1440 everything maxed, room temp has been a little warm lately 26(ish).

I put the GPU on a seperate loop a while back as prep for 1080ti/Titan variant once available.

Yes it bugs me lol, but if its ok for what it is, great, or if I am missing something, help ... case is an Enthoo Primo and I have made a castor base to raise it off the floor also to get a little more air underneath

Hindsight, the Asus Poseidon was had for 560ish at the time, so was a good deal when bought as saved fiddling with blocks, and hopefully make resale a little easier, now, I'd have gone for 2x EVGA and blocked them, alas.

Associate
Is the bottom rad pushing air out the case or pulling in ?, push pull is really not much help and can make temps worse with differences in fan speeds, it's only advantage is for show
you might gain 1/2d or lose it.

You could go for a bigger rad in the base I assume the 240 is cooling both GPU's ?
but the temps your getting are high for watercooled, you could get better on air.

Associate
OP
Yeah bottom rad is pulling in, front intakes, and top and rear exhaust ..... might strip it just seems a little too hot.
Fans are all identical and controlled with an NZXT Grid V2, Going to have a little dance with it just incase I've induced an air lock with the rebuilding/assembling with faults lately.

Last edited:
Associate
Might be better with the quad on the gpu's and the 240 on the cpu, or a 360 0r 480 in the base of the primo.

But it may well be trapped air, fairly commen even when it looks clear of it, good shake, big burp will help :)

Soldato
The bad thing with the poseidon cards is the block design. The channels and pipes are extremely thin and add quite a bit of restriction to any loop. Far more than a custom block from EK etc.

What sort of an effect does increasing pump speed make?

Eitherway 70c is rather high. My Ti's at 1500mhz with 1.28v bios only ever reached 50c maximum with 123% power limit.

Associate
OP
Must be a defective card, its hitting 70-72 open case in GTA 5, same temp in closed, other card is maxing @ 61, Stuck now as even 100% fans and pump speed stll cooking ......

Soldato
Yeah bottom rad is pulling in, front intakes, and top and rear exhaust

If the bottom Rad is pulling air in then the hot air from the Rad will be heating up the Bottom GPU HENCE 75'c.

Using a single Poseidon with a 5870K:4.4 in series with one 560 thick Rad in BF4 64 man server Ultra settings.

Poseidon never goes over 56'c.

Try just using one set of fans on the bottom rad pulling air out and see if the GPU temps are lower.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldnt be running 2 cards off 240 bud, i would get them switched to the big rad. If your blocks are quite restrictive the second card in the loop order will be the hot one i guess, if thats the case you could try hooking them up in parallel, you would need to add a couple of T or Y fittings to do that if you pump-res doesnt have 2 in and out ports.

Associate
I'd agree with the 240 for the two cards possibly being the problem. The SLI is doubling the stress on the GPU loop, but I'm sure you have a decent pump for them (I remember following the build log, but forget the pump used :/)

If it's not going to be a total nightmare, can you switch the loops to test temps?

Associate
OP
I think at this point, I've put the original backplates back on, to see if the acrylic ones was making a difference, 1-2 degrees difference, nothing to shout about, It is a restrictive loop, but not making much difference with 100% fans and pump back to quiet mode 40%/40% etc, both are similar.

I guess its just going to be the hybrid nature of the cards, the fans on the poseidon don't exhaust out the case so for what its worth, the temps wont damage anything, I know they are fine, was just "expecting" better, but it is what it is.

I had thought of swapping the 240/480 but again, not sure for the time i'll keep the cards it would be worth it, will sell one now and put that towards a 1080ti etc when available, I think the warmer weather is more the cause, might try another fan inside clearing the hot air between the cards.

Cheers again for replies, they are what they are, and very restrictive they definitely are, I'm sure they will cope with the weather for a little while longer.

Although I might try running in parallel, think i have the fittings for that.

Indecisive is the word for today...

Associate
im sure there is another thread about a guy with 2 poseidons struggling with temps. i cam here thinking it was the same thread tbh.

the overall opinion from what i rember is that the poseidons have smaller holes for the liquids which kinda reduces the flow.

Associate
Ive a Poseidon 980ti too. Temps seem to max out around 55 degrees in my loop. I only have one card however and lots of rad space.

People are right however the block is very restrictive. I don't think I would buy another one unless the block was re designed.

Associate
I am running 2 x 980ti Poseidon's, both watercooled in series on the same loop as my 6700k cpu.

When gaming at 3440x1440, with settings at Ultra, in games like Witcher 3 or Anno 2205, which both max out the gpu utilization to 100%, my max gpu temps after 2-3 hours of gaming, are 41 degrees and 43 degrees. The second card in series, always runs 1-2 degrees hotter, than the first. This is with an ambient room temperature of 23 degrees and my radiator fans at 800-900rpm.
The Poseidon's fans are on Auto and stay at 28% fan speed, which is about 1000rpm.

I get the same above temps in 3D Mark Firestrike Tests, MSI Kombustor and Heaven Benchmark.

The only time I have had higher temps, is when I run Furmark Stress Test and then I get max gpu temps of 45 and 46 degrees respectively.

I am running an EKWB D5 Revo Top pump and it is running at max speed, as per EKWB recommendation, when having more than 2 blocks in your loop. I have checked with EKWB directly and they have confirmed that you can run the pump at full speed with no problems. And being a D5 pump, it is very quiet at full speed, I need to put my ear right upto it, to hear it humming away. Its that quiet that I sometimes just touch it, to make sure its still vibrating.

As to how restrictive the Poseidon's water channel is, I cannot say anything negative about it, as the temps I am getting, after having compared it to other reviews and people's temps, on their 980ti's using EKWB waterblocks, the Poseidon is the same and sometimes better temps, than EKWB blocks.

If you look at the following review of the Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme Gaming, using a full coverage EKWB Waterblock, you will see that it achieves max gpu temps of 55-56 degrees whilst gaming, and 65 degrees in Furmark. Looking at the water channel in that EKWB block, it looks a lot wider than the Poseidon's water channel, yet the Poseidon waterblock does produce the results. So it's design does work really well.

EKWB GPU Waterblock review - http://www.overclockers.com/ekwb-gigabyte-gtx-980-ti-xtreme-gaming-full-cover-waterblock-review/

Hope this helps anyone with a 980ti Poseidon.

Back
Top Bottom