A few tubing/fitting questions

Associate
I'm after hard/clear PETG tubing but I'm not sure what size is best, what fittings work with what etc.

For instance I've noticed that the only clear tubing OCUK sell are 16/12mm, but water cooling fittings are only stocked in 16/11mm or 16/13.

Also are barb sizes fairly standardised?

Soldato
It's compression fittings you want, not barbs. Arguably the best thing to do is get compression fittings and tubing from the same manufacturer - for instance Bitspower fittings with Bitspower tube - so you know they'll be compatible.

With compression fittings only the outer diameter matters, so if you're looking at 16mm OD tubing then 16mm fittings are what you want. Same goes for 12mm tube then you want 12mm fittings.

Also be mindful that Monsoon tubing is technically listed in Imperial measurements, which can cause issues when dealing with metric fittings. For example, 5/8" OD is 15.875mm, so not exactly 16mm and 0.125mm could be quite a lot of gap when you're talking about creating a tight seal for tubing. Of course then Monsoon's fittings are also 5/8" to match, but it's something to bear in mind if you want to use - for example - Monsoon's red 5/8" OD tubing with EK's 16mm comnpression fittings.

Soldato
And again hartty the Monsoon stuff is Imperial, not metric, so that tube is actually 12.54mm OD, rather than 13mm. Won't matter if you use Monsoon fittings, but it'll be too big for 12mm fittings and probably leak on 13mm fittings.

Associate
OP
Right, so I have an EK CPU water block (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-supremacy-evo-acetal-nickel-wc-647-ek.html) and I will shortly be ordering an EK graphics card water block, with this is mind is it best to get EK tubing or is it simply fittings/tubing that matters not the blocks?

I'm thinking this for tubing: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-hd-tube-12-16mm-500mm-2-pcs-wc-503-ek.html

EDIT - Scrap that link, just noticed it's acrylic not PETG so not what I'm after.

Is 16mm OD pretty standard?

Last edited:
Soldato
The fittings and the blocks all screw together these days with G1/4 threads, so you can mix and match blocks and fittings with no issue. You just need to properly match the OD of the hard tube with the size of the fitting. As discussed above, it's really only Monsoon fittings that are an issue because they're in imperial measurements.

16mm and 12mm OD is the standard these days, I think 13mm only became a thing because of the imperial 5/8" size that Monsoon and (I think) XSPC were doing.

And why do you want PETG specifically, and why is acrylic an issue?

Soldato
it's all much of a muchness to be honest. PETG needs lower heat before it's bendable and can take more direct impact before it shatters. Acrylic is clearer and although it will shatter if you grip it tight, you're not going to be gripping it tight so it's a moot point :p

There was some talk when PETG first came out about its permeability and any gunkage leeching into the coolant (like dodgy plactisier did with soft tube), but that seems to have gone quiet without any resolution.

I'm going acrylic because I want ultra shiny tubes.

Soldato
Right, I'll give acrylic a whack. What's the worst that could happen...

It shatters and you break everything?

In all seriousness PETG is the evolution of acrylic, you can literally beat it with a hammer and it doesnt shatter. In terms of bending it lower heat is better, it bends fine and there is only one reason to go for acrylic over PETG: More choice and availability, that is all.

Name me one other thing you will put in your PC knowing its the old version but the exact same price?

Soldato
Except for the fact that PETG isn't UV stable and is water permeable, and cannot match acrylic in transparency.

Lots of pros and cons for each. Personally I'm going with acrylic, but I do have a couple of really tight bends that acrylic may not be able to handle.

Soldato
Personally wouldnt go with acrylic over PETG. As Smffy mentioned its the evolution of hard line watercooling. I had to import mine from the USA as it was pretty new to the market at the time but after seeing pics of tiny fractures in Acrylic im glad i did for peace of mind.

Soldato
Tubes ordered (I did go for PETG) and fittings ordered. I might order some acrylic at some point simply for comparisons sake.

Nice, I've got the same stuff - as long as you ordered the same brand of tube/fittings its all good. The EK ones are super tight fitting - did you order a bending insert to bend? If not grab the Monsoon insert listed as 13mm ID, fits a treat and generally speaking the other 12mm in kits come up a bit lose. Not sure OCUK sell it stand alone but its around for about £4...

Pic of that tube/fittings:

Photo%2022-05-2016%2012%2022%2025_zpsf4ucteg0.jpg

As for it matching transparency, mines crystal clear and once filled with liquid you won't notice anyway. Bends all kind of shapes perfectly, here's a load drying post wash:

20151218_201932_zpsyvzoarbt.jpg

Associate
OP
Nice, I've got the same stuff - as long as you ordered the same brand of tube/fittings its all good.

Actually no, although I did stay clear of Monsoon after the earlier size discrepancy discussion. I've ordered 16/12mm Alphacool tubing. If it's not very tight I simply won't use it. Fingers crossed.

The EK ones are super tight fitting - did you order a bending insert to bend? If not grab the Monsoon insert listed as 13mm ID, fits a treat and generally speaking the other 12mm in kits come up a bit lose. Not sure OCUK sell it stand alone but its around for about £4...

Good question. I bought this: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/xspc-petg-easy-cut-easy-bend-toolkit-wc-357-xs.html

Does come with an insert, no idea about its size though. Guess I'll wait
and see. If not I'll go with your recommendation.

Pic of that tube/fittings:

Nice.

My rig minus the graphics card and tubing is shown on a different thread: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18729590

It's an inverted case (Corsair 600C) just to be awkward. Graphics card (1080) is arriving tomorrow, I've already got the water block and back plate.

Soldato
That kit doesn't seem to list the size does it... Guess you wait and see, it needs to be tight so its a little tough to insert it ideally - I used a small amount of olive oil on it when I did mine and it worked a treat (wash tubes after obv...). If the insert is way to tight you can sand it also.

Associate
OP
That kit doesn't seem to list the size does it... Guess you wait and see, it needs to be tight so its a little tough to insert it ideally - I used a small amount of olive oil on it when I did mine and it worked a treat (wash tubes after obv...). If the insert is way to tight you can sand it also.

Yup, silicon insert doesn't even come close. Ordered a new one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom