• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is my MSI RX480 Dying ? :(

Associate
Started when i turned the system on one morning got into the windows loading screen and green vertical line showed up on the right side of the monitor. I first thought it was monitor. So i restarted to see if anything showed up during POST. Nothing, windows loads line shows up. I took the HDMI lead out and put it back the line went away, so i left it. It came back a few days later and i done the same thing over, worked fine when gaming so was not too worried. Now i am getting this.

IMG_20170113_123029.jpg

The card is only a few months old, never been overclocked. To be honest i have not really put it through much stress yet, just not had the time to play BF1 yet :(

I have got it working again now but for how long :( RMA time ?

Soldato
Before you rma the card put it on your TV.
And plug another device to your monitor.

Also check the drivers and I assume you haven't overclocked the monitor l, nor run combustion to test the card thermals.

If you are using HDMI splitter remove it.

Associate
OP
Cant be the monitor. Doesnt do it in post or BIOS when the problem happens i turn the monitor off then on to see if anything during monitor load and nothing. I would have thought if it was t he monitor it would show during all that, no ?

Going to wipe the driver and start fresh with DDU see if that fixes it.

=======================

So far so good, will give it a few days and see what happens. Thanks for the help everyone.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cant be the monitor. Doesnt do it in post or BIOS when the problem happens i turn the monitor off then on to see if anything during monitor load and nothing. I would have thought if it was t he monitor it would show during all that, no ?

Going to wipe the driver and start fresh with DDU see if that fixes it.

=======================

So far so good, will give it a few days and see what happens. Thanks for the help everyone.

You do not have TV in the house to try the 480?
Have you tried to use your IGP? You have a 4790.

The screen looks a lot like my initial XL2730Z, which gave up her soul on the 8th month and needed replacement. Minus the fuzzy bits on the top of the screen, the image was exactly the same.

Associate
This is exactly the same problem ive been having with a brand new 480 G1 that's two days old. running at stock speeds of 1290/2000 I get crashes to the exact screen of yours, no idea whats causing it, I was running windows 10 pro anniversary and sometimes couldn't even successfully log into windows before a crash. I Reinstalled windows 8.1 after trying every driver and my system hasn't crashes once and runs games fine. leaves me to believe its a some sort of windows 10 update that's killing the 480.

PS I already Rma'd a G1 card before this for the exact same reason, surely you cant get two Doa in a row?

Still not happy though as I went with the 480 because of the significant DX11 improvements on the gtx 1060 (almost if not on par) and obviously the added vulkan and dx12 support and dx12 is non existent on W8.1

Associate
OP
Need some more advice. I removed the 480 and im now using onboard gfx removed the drivers for the 480 also. The green line has again come up! it can't be the 480 then right ? i took a screenshot of my computer to see if the line shows up in it, but it doesn't, so that would indicate a monitor problem right ?

IMG_20170118_164152.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, i think you've ruled out GPU failure. I had an old dell monitor that when cold would have a multitude of red 1 pixel lines flashing around it, once it was warm it went away and i thought it was the gpu, it wasn't!

Back
Top Bottom